Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 07:17:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsA Place for the Unwilling [open world narrative game][BETA]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: A Place for the Unwilling [open world narrative game][BETA]  (Read 57471 times)
and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2016, 05:55:45 AM »

Hey good luck with the Kickstarter guys! You've got my support Smiley

Ludipe
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2016, 02:09:45 AM »

Quote from: YaW
Saw the news on Twitter. Good luck with your crowdfunding, man!

Thanks! It's gonna be a pretty intensive month

Quote from: and
Hey good luck with the Kickstarter guys! You've got my support

Thanks a lot AND! We really appreciate it :-)

Uprising Studios
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2016, 02:18:49 AM »

Good luck with the campaign guys!
We'll support you for sure!

Mr Bazooka
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2016, 11:53:15 PM »

Good luck with the Kickstarter.
Ludipe
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2016, 12:46:23 AM »

Thanks everyone for your support! We just launched our Kickstarter campaign. Help us spread the word :D

Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2016, 12:57:36 AM »

Good luck guys! Smiley

Ludipe
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2016, 07:53:52 AM »

Good luck guys! Smiley

Thanks! :-)

So far the campaign has been active for about 7 hours and we have collected 1.894€ out of our 20.000€ goal

Pseudavid
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2016, 09:50:04 AM »

Congratulations! I hope it gets the funding.

Now I hate to be that guy who asks it but... any chance of Linux version? I will probably buy it eventually after it's out and it's got good reviews and all that, but I save my kickstarting for things that I can actually play from day 1. (Unsupported/experimental/barely working Linux version is ok: I've played the hell out of Sunless Sea like that.)

Again, congratulations and best of luck!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 12:18:28 PM by Pseudavid » Logged

My interactive fiction is at pseudavid.itch.io

The Master of the Land, 6th in IFcomp 2018. It creates a seemingly dynamic world, gives the player complete agency within that world and then says ‘go
and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2016, 12:02:49 PM »

Yey! Backed Smiley

Good luck with the campaign it seems to be off to a nice, healthy start!

TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2016, 01:11:15 PM »

You guys are doing great for your first leg into the Kickstarter! This is wonderful; I'm so happy for you and the team Smiley

A well deserved early push :D

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
Ludipe
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2016, 02:57:06 AM »

Quote from: Pseudavid
Congratulations! I hope it gets the funding.

Now I hate to be that guy who asks it but... any chance of Linux version? I will probably buy it eventually after it's out and it's got good reviews and all that, but I save my kickstarting for things that I can actually play from day 1. (Unsupported/experimental/barely working Linux version is ok: I've played the hell out of Sunless Sea like that.)

Again, congratulations and best of luck!

Hey there! It's highly possible that we'll launch the game on Linux, but we can't make an official announcement yet. We want to be ready and run some tests before doing such a thing :-)

Quote from: and
Yey! Backed Smiley

Good luck with the campaign it seems to be off to a nice, healthy start!

Thanks a lot! :-)
The start was quite awesome, the second day is going to be way tougher haha.

Quote from: amanfr01
You guys are doing great for your first leg into the Kickstarter! This is wonderful; I'm so happy for you and the team Smiley

A well deserved early push :D

Thanks! :-D

Ludipe
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2016, 02:23:39 AM »

Update #6 - Artistic references

We often say "A Place for the Unwilling" is highly inspired by games like "Majora's Mask" and "Sunless Sea", and while that's entirely true, the spark that started everything didn't come from a videogame.

You might know "Over the Garden Wall", an Emmy Award-winning animated show produced by Cartoon Network. One of the things that we loved the most about it was how it introduced adult themes and plots while using a naive and colorful facade. Nothing is what it seems and nobody is "good" or "evil", we all have two sides.

"A Place for the Unwilling" features dozens of sub-stories taking place in the same city, each character has an unique routine and they interact with each other creating even more events. José Carlos Fernandes did something similar on his comic "La Peor Banda del Mundo". Through sepia tones the author tells us the story of a whole city, using short chapters to delve into the personality and behaviour of each of the characters who inhabit the urban landscape.

The art references we are using on "A Place for the Unwilling" are numerous and extensive, they go from comics (Joann Sfar, Charles Addams or Zac Gorman) to more traditional sources (Gustave Doré, Eugène Atget or Brassaï). Our references also include the works of Edward Gorey, and his macabre childish-like illustration, and Alfred Kubin, with his heartbreaking prints.

Kickstarter update!

Four days have passed since we launched our Kickstarter campaign and so far we have collected over 30% of our funding goal. We have also been getting amazing feedback from the community, press coverage and the "Projects we love" tag from the Kickstarter team :-)

Stay tuned for the next update! :-)

gmicek
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2016, 12:13:50 PM »

Congratulations on a strong Kickstarter launch!  Excited to see more of the game, it looks fantastic.

Greg Micek
Cliqist.com - Crowdfunded Gaming
Twitter Facebook
Ludipe
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2016, 02:08:26 AM »

Congratulations on a strong Kickstarter launch!  Excited to see more of the game, it looks fantastic.

Thanks! We got over 40% of our goal a few hours ago, hope it keeps going on :-)

Ludipe
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2016, 02:49:50 AM »

Update #7 - How it all began

Hey everyone!

On today's update we would like to talk about how "A Place for the Unwilling" was born.

Almost a year ago we decided to work together and make a game for the Adventure jam, in which participants had 14 days to publish an entry, but things never turn out as expected, we had a festival to attend, so we ended up doing a prototype in less than 72 hours.

We had to reduce a lot the scope of the design and the result of that game jam was "The Night Henry Allen Died" (available on itch.io). It had many big flaws and a lot of the planned features had been cut off but we liked it.

Many months later, once it was time to start a new project we decided that we would spend a month just doing prototypes, so we could choose one and work on a full-release. When we were about to begin we realized that "The Night Henry Allen Died" already had everything we were looking for, we liked it, we had seen many people enjoying it and we knew how we wanted to expand the project; so instead of prototyping more ideas we just started prototyping some of the mechanics in "A Place for the Unwilling".

Thanks to youtubers who recorded their gameplays we were able to learn a bit more about the way people interacted with the game and which things needed to change. "The Night Henry Allen Died" couldn't be simpler, just 5 rooms with 5 characters, a shallow dialogue system and several objects to examine, but it was the seed from which "A Place for the Unwilling" appeared.

These two games have little things in common, only the view, the setting and the fact that both are focused on narrative, but the rest has changed and evolved.

If you hadn't played "The Night Henry Allen Died" yet you can play it on itch.io. Enjoy! :-D

Ludipe
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2016, 02:24:20 AM »

Update #8 - A day in the city

Hey everyone!

We're still at Kickstarterm trying to fund "A Place for the Unwilling", so feel free to share the link if you want to give us a hand :-)

It's always hard for us to explain the gameplay in "A Place for the Unwilling". It doesn't fit into the definition of most genres, that's why we use the term "narrative sandbox". These things evolve over development, just like the rest of the game, but at this point they are still on an early stage.

We talked a bit more about gameplay on an earlier update, but today we wanted to try a new approach, we are going to describe what you might do on a regular day in the city :-)

(hope you enjoy it!)

(partial sketch of the city)

*cough* *cough*

First thing I did in the morning was purchasing a newspaper, keeping up with the latest news is essential for somebody like me. It's also a nice excuse to stretch my legs and visit my clients in the rich quarter.

The news spoke about some recent events which took place in the capital, but there was also space in the front page for some local events, apparently there had been some robberies close to the hospital and the police was still looking for the thieves, should I be more careful?

There was a violinist playing in the middle of the street right next to the place where I was supposed to meet my client. I had seen him before, he were quite popular and used to play different songs everyday. I decided I could spare a few minutes, so I sat down in a nearby bench and prepared to enjoy the concert.

Once it was over I went back to business. My client was already waiting for me, but we couldn't reach an agreement, his offer was too low and I would be losing money if I accepted it, I would try to get a better one, if I falied I could always come back.

I crossed the bridge and bumped into Myles Stout, a young lad who spent most of his time selling newspapers or planning pranks. What surprised me was that he was talking to August Thompson, a harsh policeman who had a crooked reputation. Myles was an orphan who grew up among the working class, he was the kind of person who tried to avoid policemen.

They were about to finish their conversation but I managed to guess what they were talking about. Looks like August thought Myles had something to do with the recent robberies, he didn't have any kind of prove and had tried to intimidate him, but that wouldn't work, Myles wouldn't crack that easily. Maybe I could look for him later and talk to him, he's usually around the docks.

I kept walking until I reached Wadeson street. I was searching for a shop which, based on the information provided by an old friend, had some cheap goods; judging by the looks of the street they might even be stolen. Following my friend's directions it didn't take me too long to find the shop. Unfortunately for me, it was closed, perhaps it would be a good idea to try again another day.

I went back to the main street and found old Lucas, it was odd to see him so far from his shop. He was staring at some birds and muttering strange words (which wasn't weird at all coming from him). As I stood there I felt a shiver run down my spine, was there somebody watching me? I turned around, but I was alone, must had been my imagination, old Lucas always gives me the creeps.

I decided I would make one last stop at the sea before going back home. After that, it was time for me to buy some food and get some rest.

And that's the end of the update! We'll release a new one soon.

Cheers! :-)

DigitalSun
Level 1

Making Moonlighter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2016, 06:26:26 AM »

You're creating something experimental and very interesting... We want to play it! Best of lucks with your kickstarter campaign Beer!

YaW
Level 1

CremaGames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2016, 02:39:23 AM »

This is looking better every time you show something new. Hope it gets the attetion in deserves  Beer!

Ludipe
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2016, 04:03:34 AM »

Quote from: DigitalSun
You're creating something experimental and very interesting... We want to play it! Best of lucks with your kickstarter campaign Beer!

Thanks! We do like experimental stuff :-)

Quote from: YaW
This is looking better every time you show something new. Hope it gets the attetion in deserves  Beer!

Thanks! So far the campaign is doing good, hope it stays like that.

CiroContinisio
Level 3

Eat this!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2016, 11:37:14 AM »

WOW, I was off for a week and I've missed LOADS of stuff. It's looking very cool, and I'm pretty sure you guys will hit the campaign goal easily.

Now for the last stretch!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic