Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 02:31:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralA Simple Motivational Tool
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: A Simple Motivational Tool  (Read 1184 times)
CheapDevotion
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 09, 2015, 07:52:00 PM »

As a indie developer by night, I find myself constantly looking at devlog images for motivation on my own personal projects. However, do to the fact that I have a full-time job and work on my own games, I don't have much time to glance through the forums like I want to. So recently at work I was tasked with learning a bit about web scraping, and this little tool was born.

DevLog Collage is a simple way to look at a randomly generated collage of devlog images. Each time you refresh, you get a new collage to look at, and clicking any of the images will take you to the forum post. It's far from perfect, but I had fun making it, and hope you guys like it. Enjoy!
JWK5
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 08:25:38 PM »

That is actually pretty awesome! Nice work! CoffeeToast Right
EvansBlack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 06:20:55 AM »

I found image from my devlog - i like your app already)))

Keops
Level 6

Pixellin' and Gamedev'n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 05:24:06 AM »

Great stuff! Bookmarked!

Hearthstead: Hand Point Right Website - Twitter Hand Point Left

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS! Behance portfolio
Koobazaur
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 02:43:18 PM »

There's also http://www.screenshotsaturday.com/ for motivation or r/IndieGaming :D
Kolba
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 05:16:47 PM »

Clicking the images doesn't work for me, but it's an excellent idea if that's fixed. Seems like a much needed successor to the devlog mag.

CheapDevotion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 05:06:00 PM »

Clicking the images doesn't work for me, but it's an excellent idea if that's fixed.

I rewrote the site to use angular.js to fix some of the collage generation wierdness and broke some stuff in the process. This is fixed now. As for devlog mag, I was a huge fan, but the lack of automation kills sites like this, unfortunately. The best part about this site is that everything from collage generation to twitter posts is 100% automated, which means I can just leave it running indefinitely.

As for user created content, I have reached out to a few devs for a quick interview and a "featured" section is in the works, so keep an eye out for that.
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 07:43:41 PM »

A simple motivational tool:

Every time you see a blue, cloudless sky, from this point forward, you will be reminded of your own mortality.

MegaTiny
Level 1

Wew lad

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2015, 09:18:26 AM »

The main motivation comes from every one I click on not having been updated in five years  Shocked

Kolba
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 04:56:39 AM »

CheapDevotion, what do you think about the idea of a companion site to trawl the Playtesting forum? I find it inspiring when I know a game is finished and playable.

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 08:19:11 AM »

A simple motivational tool:

Every time you see a blue, cloudless sky, from this point forward, you will be reminded of your own mortality.

I just want to say I appreciate you, MeshGearFox, and all that you do for us

CheapDevotion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2016, 07:03:54 AM »

It has been a while since I've had time to work on this, but I took some time this morning to clean up some bugs and add a few features.

First, and most importantly, you should no longer get any broken images when visiting the site. This will cut down on the number of devlogs that show up and have been inactive for some time. At first, this wasn't a big deal, but as the database grew and projects got abandoned, it started making the collages look pretty terrible. If you do get a broken image in the collage, let me know so I can take a look.

Second, there is now a progress indicator that shows how many images have loaded, and how many are left. The load times can vary based on the host used for the images, so this makes it a bit more bearable.

Those are the two biggest items, but there were lots of bug fixes and some database purging. If you haven't been to the site in a while, check it out and let me know what you think.
Mark Mayers
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2016, 09:31:46 AM »

This is pretty sweet and a good way to discover devlogs I might have missed!

Desolus Twitter: @DesolusDev Website: http://www.desolus.com DevLog: On TIG!
jasontomlee
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2016, 04:06:44 AM »

Wow this is great. Got to find a bunch of great games through this :D

==== Creating simple Gamemaker assets & games ====

TWITTER: https://twitter.com/jasontomlee
ITCH:    https://jasontomlee.itch.io/
CheapDevotion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2016, 04:36:21 AM »

Thanks for all the kind words. This started as just a bit of a passion project for myself, but over the last couple of weeks the site has had 10,000 unique visitors and the twitter bot has made something like 30,000 impressions. Among the games on the site, Jack the Reaper, Sensorium, Shadow's Peak, and 8Suns have received the most clicks.

I'm currently in the process of streamlining the site based on feedback. It's going to have more of an imgur feel, but, you know, for indie games. I'm removing the progress bar and loading in the game images much faster, adding a "scroll to load more" feature as opposed to the refresh button, and adding user accounts so developers can update images and gamers can favorite individual games. I should have this done in a few days, and will let you know.

CheapDevotion, what do you think about the idea of a companion site to trawl the Playtesting forum? I find it inspiring when I know a game is finished and playable.

Love it, and it's coming in a future update. Games that are looking for testers will have an special icon when you hover over the game.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic