Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:30:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Wizard and The Slug (BETA) Story driven platformer
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: The Wizard and The Slug (BETA) Story driven platformer  (Read 14049 times)
Silkworm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2017, 09:10:50 AM »

Website is live!

I kinda dreaded having to set up a website since I have basically no experience in it (except for playing around with html like 15 years ago or something). But it was surprisingly easy with the current web building tools. It's not very flashy or anything but I just wanted something simple anyway.

I've also decided to commit to March 28th. I think I have some good things to show so now it's pretty much just trying to get the word out. I will be looking into making a list of gaming websites and whatnot as well as different communities. If anyone has any suggestions on good places to reach out please tell me!

Silkworm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2017, 05:25:41 AM »

Updated the demo! (v0.3.3)

After some great feedback I went through my controls code. Man, haven't touched them in quite a while. Noticed some kinda dumb stuff in there and made some tweaks I think is for the better. Also added arrow key controls as an alternative and some other changes in the control scheme.

I've also started contacting media, hopefully I'll get some coverage.

Always looking for tips on where to reach out.

Silkworm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2017, 08:44:23 AM »

One month left until launch! Time sure flies.

Updated Demo v 0.3.5

I thought I was done with the demo but man have I've gotten some great feedback lately. It's a wonder how much better the controls feel if you buffer the inputs just a few frames. Other changes include some much-needed audio/visual feedback and telegraphing, especially in regards to the grow mechanic. You will now flash while you're unable to grow and hear a *blip* and see a little particle effect when you can.

Crab boss has gone through a lot of redesigning too, it's a lot less random and chaotic now with some improved telegraphing there as well.

I also think I finally weeded out any remaining collision issues I've had. I really shouldn't be possible to get stuck in walls any more.

In other news, I've sent the game out to the press. Not with a lot of luck so far though. Cliqist did write a little thing on it but nothing special. It was however seen by someone at kickstarter and they reached out to me saying they thought the project looked great. So that's some good news Smiley. Had a little chat with them and they gave me some tips.

One thing they said was that contacting media usually isn't that effective and it's better to focus on a more grassroots approach. So I'll have to get creative. Been contacting a bunch of youtubers too, big and small, so hopefully that leads to something.

Will also start putting together the Kickstarter page this weekend. Also thinking about running a greenlight campaign parallel to the kickstarter. I think the cross promotion might be good. Since greenlight is going away, maybe this is the time to do it too, who knows how steam direct will eventually look.

For anyone interested in backing, make sure you sign up to the mailing list on the website so you won't miss the launch Smiley.
www.wizardandslug.com

Silkworm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2017, 08:41:57 AM »

Draft for my kickstarter page is up! Please give me feedback!

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2017, 10:17:15 AM »

I just watched the video.
At 3:13 you wrote "What could it be it?!".

I'll read the rest tomorrow, probably.
Silkworm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2017, 10:23:42 AM »

I just watched the video.
At 3:13 you wrote "What could it be it?!".

I'll read the rest tomorrow, probably.

Thanks for the catch! Typo blindness is real Blink Blink

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 10, 2017, 11:01:30 AM »

Another impression from the video: The scene at 1:31 looks impressive in a cinematic way, because you dropped the HUD (which uses up a lot of space, imho). It would be perfect if it would be removed from the scenes starting at 1:21 and 1:26, too.

0:52 is a pretty busy scene, with the carrot monologue, "BANANA MAN BIG BAND" and "Enjoy the arts!" to read in ~5 seconds. I was a bit confused what to read first. Everything else was in a good pace.

Overall i really like the video. Smiley
Silkworm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2017, 11:30:35 AM »

Another impression from the video: The scene at 1:31 looks impressive in a cinematic way, because you dropped the HUD (which uses up a lot of space, imho). It would be perfect if it would be removed from the scenes starting at 1:21 and 1:26, too.

0:52 is a pretty busy scene, with the carrot monologue, "BANANA MAN BIG BAND" and "Enjoy the arts!" to read in ~5 seconds. I was a bit confused what to read first. Everything else was in a good pace.

Overall i really like the video. Smiley

Great thanks! These are all easy fixes! Smiley

Silkworm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2017, 11:30:05 AM »

Could this be a good idea? I'm thinking of giving away the game for free to anyone who makes a video or streams the game. Might be a good incentive and lead to some exposure because to be honest, not a lot has happened on this front sadly.

Silkworm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2017, 11:10:16 AM »

Last week guys! I've got a greenlight set up and will run it parallel to the kickstarter. Any last advice or feedback is appreciated. Is there anywhere I shouldn't miss to reach out or post about the game?

Check out the kickstarter preview page, consider backing and wish me luck! I'll need it!

Silkworm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: March 28, 2017, 07:25:26 AM »

« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 03:51:31 PM by Silkworm_sweatshop » Logged

Silkworm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: March 29, 2017, 08:30:46 AM »

First day over and 7% funded! Not bad, but the hard part is keeping the momentum going. There hasn't been a huge amount of backers but a couple of big ones. Around half the backers are also people I know (which is a good place to start) but I want to focus on getting more "strangers" to back. Feel free to give advice! I'm posting a final batch of press releases today and have been making threads on a couple of forums as well as trying to keep active on twitter. Man it's a lot of work.

I'm pretty happy I got a pledge for this joke reward on day 1 though. Cheesy

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: March 30, 2017, 02:23:30 PM »

(I've been away and only catching up with a few things now.)

First day over and 7% funded!
Congrats on getting the momentum going! 

I'm posting a final batch of press releases today and have been making threads on a couple of forums as well as trying to keep active on twitter. Man it's a lot of work.
Yes, from what I heard, if you take Kickstarter seriously (and of course depending on response) it can be equivalent to full time work.

The Greenlight and Kickstarter images that you posted above are missing the links.  Yes, there is a text KS link, but it's gold to have those.  Also, you could update your signature with both KS and Greenlight links. Wink

Good luck with both campaigns!

Silkworm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: March 31, 2017, 09:53:09 AM »

The Greenlight and Kickstarter images that you posted above are missing the links.  Yes, there is a text KS link, but it's gold to have those.  Also, you could update your signature with both KS and Greenlight links. Wink

Thanks for the catch, can't believe I missed that WTF.

Third day over and 23% now. A lot of it is from personal outreach though and I don't think only that is sustainable in the long run. Got some small coverage in Hardcoregamer and a Swedish site but you kinda need something bigger for press to have an effect. When kickstarter contacted me they kinda told me not to even bother with the press but from what I've heard, just getting covered by one bigger site can make a big difference. So hard to know what to focus on Shrug. Och well, I'll be doing some press things today and tomorrow it's back to chasing backers!

In other news, the first backer designed NPC pledge has been made and I love the idea (won't spoil it though Tongue)! I hope I get to work it in there.

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: March 31, 2017, 12:22:57 PM »

A lot of it is from personal outreach though and I don't think only that is sustainable in the long run.
It might if you can get the friend of a friend of a friend to back your game. Wink

When kickstarter contacted me they kinda told me not to even bother with the press but from what I've heard, just getting covered by one bigger site can make a big difference. So hard to know what to focus on Shrug. Och well, I'll be doing some press things today and tomorrow it's back to chasing backers!
Maybe they suggested it in a way that unless a well recognized developer, chances of coverage are low so you better focus on other ways of finding backers.
Did Kickstarter recommend something? 

Have you looked into contacting streamers directly?  It's been a while since I looked into but there were a few lists for YouTube and Twitch.  Some had categorizes mentioned so you could find out what each streamer is mainly interested in. (i.e. ignore the ones that aren't interested in your type of game)
Or perhaps you could ask them to post your game trailer.  Just a few ideas.

Silkworm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: April 03, 2017, 06:35:25 AM »

It might if you can get the friend of a friend of a friend to back your game. Wink

Haha, even getting your friends to back involves quite a bit of nagging Tongue. It's very easy for people to put it off and forget about it even though they're willing to back. Also, what you really want is backers who're genuinely interested in playing your game or I feel it's kinda missing the point.

Maybe they suggested it in a way that unless a well recognized developer, chances of coverage are low so you better focus on other ways of finding backers.
Did Kickstarter recommend something? 

Yes, I think this is true. They gave some general tips on what to put on the Kickstarter page, rewards and told me to focus on grassroots marketing and social media.

Have you looked into contacting streamers directly?  It's been a while since I looked into but there were a few lists for YouTube and Twitch.  Some had categorizes mentioned so you could find out what each streamer is mainly interested in. (i.e. ignore the ones that aren't interested in your type of game)
Or perhaps you could ask them to post your game trailer.  Just a few ideas.

Yes, I've seen the lists and have made my own lists as well of people that seem interested in platform games. Before the launch I sent out hundreds of mails, not with a lot of responses though. I've currently been sending out reminders as the kickstarter has launched.

First week almost over, 26% and 51 backers. Not terribly promising but I'm not throwing in the towel just yet. Whatever happens I at least hope this can bring some attention to the game.

Silkworm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: April 11, 2017, 06:37:57 AM »

Two weeks in and it's looking kinda grim for the campaign. Now it's pretty much deciding what to do with the rest of the time. More people than ever are downloading and playing the demo so I'll keep pushing the campaign if only for that reason.

After contacting around 300+ youtubers, some videos are starting to pop up. Mostly really tiny ones, biggest one had around 10k subs. But it's still fun to watch and is always good feedback. People contacting me and telling me they like the game also helps keeping my spirits up Smiley.

Some playthroughs:
Pharaoh2091:

Monticue:

Atantuo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hEPhFzx4CA
Necrocopter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvDdjhWHORg
D3rKommentator (German): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Deunec7_CYQ
FitzUnlimited15: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sto5J91aHPw
Spudcats: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFm3n2C6WB4
Hadriex: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQZJs0KZFsY

Haven't tried the demo yet? Here's what some people have said about it!

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: June 12, 2017, 12:45:39 PM »

It was the final days but your game still got Greenlit!  Smiley

freank
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: June 15, 2017, 12:45:10 AM »

Nice!

My last game:

Supporter of