Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 07:07:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioTIGSource Musical Challenge XLV: The Score Awakens
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: TIGSource Musical Challenge XLV: The Score Awakens  (Read 758 times)
ZackParrish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« on: December 10, 2015, 04:12:55 PM »

The Score Awakens

To join in on the absurd amount of Star Wars related things popping up because of the 7th installment in the series coming to a theater near you, and also pay homage to the legend that is, John Williams, this contest is themed around the entire Star Wars franchise.

Description: Some is making a project about... Star Wars, only it isn't the traditional sort of Star Wars. It's anything but traditional and the typical full orchestral arrangements of the classic themes just aren't going to work anymore.

What does that mean exactly? You must still utilize one or multiple melodies from the franchise but do your best to steer away from using orchestral instrumentation. Brownie points if you avoid them altogether, though I won't shaft you for using some orchestral instrumentation and the piece sounds amazing. The melody/ies MUST be clearly conveyed, but you can go as far off the rails with the harmony as you want(as long as it sounds nice ya know...). Chiptune vader theme, sure, dubstep Leia / Han love theme, go for it. The medium for which the track is for does not matter, so much as your creativity with making these themes work in a style / setting that sets it clearly apart from the original.

Rules:
Must have at least one recognizable melody from the Star Wars franchise. The more familiar it is, the better. If you feel safer posting a reference track for which theme you used then feel free to do so and I'll even listen to it first to get myself more familiar with the theme(s) you picked.

Avoid using orchestral instrumentation. As said above using some isn't a complete write-off.

Track needs to be at least 1 minute in length.

Judgement:

Once the deadline is reached I will selected 3 finalists(assuming more than 3 people enter) and put it to a vote, as per usual.

The criteria for judgement... there isn't any really other than making something enjoyable to listen to, so have fun with it. Show me your dark side, what you are truly capable. We all know the Sith way is the cooler path to take.

Deadline: Whenever it isn’t January 10, 2015 anywhere in the world

Youtube is littered with Star Wars music, and there are so many strong melodies in the series that I'm not going to bother with posting any samples, so get out there and explore the soundtrack and choose something that you think will be fun to recreate in a new light/platform.

And as always, critique of each piece will be made at the end of it all. Just remember to have fun while you are working on your piece! Fun is vital in these things, else... what's the point?  Hand Metal Left No No NO Hand Metal Right

Kyle Preston
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 09:38:52 AM »

Noiccce. Guess I'll have to spend more time listening to John Williams, o darn, how will I get through this.

Kyle Preston
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 11:47:43 AM »

I kinda dropped the ball on this one; I've got a half-assed idea that I'm too embarrassed to submit. Anybody got anything?

cynicus
Level 0

hey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 02:17:24 PM »

I had one started, I got distracted with other projects that meant I completely forgot about it xD Whoops, it seemed like a cool challenge too!

Sound is my kinda thing
Portfolio | Twitter
ZackParrish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 03:55:02 PM »

Oh well, Kyle wins! For being the first person to show interest... and only one to show interest within the time frame.

Ciao!  Gentleman

cynicus
Level 0

hey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 11:36:56 AM »

Oh well, Kyle wins! For being the first person to show interest... and only one to show interest within the time frame.

Ciao!  Gentleman

Grats! Wink

Sound is my kinda thing
Portfolio | Twitter
Kyle Preston
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 11:59:37 AM »

Danka  Gentleman

I'll post a new challenge hopefully tomorrow : )

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic