Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:07:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsKatana ZERO - 80's neo-noir action platformer (RELEASED)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Print
Author Topic: Katana ZERO - 80's neo-noir action platformer (RELEASED)  (Read 38432 times)
TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: December 09, 2016, 04:07:18 AM »

Wow.  Shocked

That blood looks incredible. Fantastic work. Absolutely fantastic.

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
Tadakuni Amano
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: December 10, 2016, 07:06:58 PM »

Thank you everyone!

Very interesting game. What do you use to render the world? Tile maps?
Yep! Tiles.

The aesthetic of the game is brilliant. How do the special moves play out? Is it more like a fighting game or more like a metroidvania where you activate a skill?
There's a set control scheme for your moves. Slowing down time, slashing, rolling, and throwing things (or using other secondary items) are all mapped to their own keys. It's too combat oriented for constantly switching around moves, and it's a lot more simple combat-wise than a fighting game (there are no combos).

Unrelated, here's a work in progress screenshot of my new DKC2 fangame

<- Katana ZERO devlog
@askiisoft
Tadakuni Amano
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: December 22, 2016, 11:48:13 PM »

Sort of a tech-post this time.

Due to some incompatibilities between my lighting engine and Game Maker's room editor, I have to place every tile in the game individually. Without grouping, making large levels becomes a huge chore - though it hasn't been much of an issue until now.

Working on the minecart stage posed a new problem. Since the minecart travels very quickly, the minecart levels have rooms that are 6 times the size of a normal room. Tiling the whole room by hand would mean placing ~13,000 individual tiles for just a simple textured background, which would have taken me several hours per room!

To fix this, I wrote an auto-tiling program which crawled along the ceiling of the room and placed tiles vertically until it hits a floor. This worked well, but due to the massive size of the room, it ended up creating a 3-5 second delay every time the screen reset - which was definitely not acceptable for a game where you're expected to die very often.

So after some digging into the game maker room code, I was able to write a script that directly injected the generated tiles into the room code. It completely removed the 3-5 second delay, but since game maker's instance naming conventions are a mystery to me, it may result in unforeseen errors in the future (I pretty much just named all the tiles arbitrary things and hoped that it would work, which it did!). The other downside is that the room code is now a whopping 2mb rather than the average 300kb, but that's a small price to pay to make the game infinitely more playable.

<- Katana ZERO devlog
@askiisoft
Tadakuni Amano
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: January 07, 2017, 12:11:17 PM »

I've been having some fun with the little details of the game.

<- Katana ZERO devlog
@askiisoft
and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: January 12, 2017, 01:33:25 AM »

Love the look on the cat's face  Cheesy

Krisjet
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: January 12, 2017, 03:51:02 AM »

That blood trail left on the wall when a guy is thrown like that is a sweet detail!

gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: January 12, 2017, 04:48:33 AM »

Love the gore and the finer details. The hit effects and timing are just beautiful!

Tadakuni Amano
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: January 14, 2017, 04:27:04 PM »

Thanks everyone!

Here's the minecart level in action -

<- Katana ZERO devlog
@askiisoft
Tadakuni Amano
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: January 21, 2017, 11:13:20 AM »

You feel your sins crawling on your back.

<- Katana ZERO devlog
@askiisoft
samurai_zane
« Reply #149 on: January 21, 2017, 11:50:14 AM »

^Very nice.

The striking animations with the blood splatter are so well done!

I can hear the sound of every strike Smiley
Tadakuni Amano
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: February 04, 2017, 01:18:34 PM »

New trailer!

<- Katana ZERO devlog
@askiisoft
Ashedragon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: February 05, 2017, 01:06:03 PM »

Just. Pure. Awesome.

Tadakuni Amano
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: February 11, 2017, 11:11:06 AM »

"Cut the deck."

<- Katana ZERO devlog
@askiisoft
Tadakuni Amano
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: February 18, 2017, 11:32:42 AM »

Getting pretty far with development! Been working on implementing a lot of music and sfx recently, as well as a lot of metal slug-esque enemy behaviors (playing cards, practicing with weapons, playing rock paper scissors, etc)to make the game feel a lot more alive.

Also the game will be playable at the Adult Swim Games booth at PAX East! If anybody wants to get their hands on it, now's the chance.

<- Katana ZERO devlog
@askiisoft
and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: March 22, 2017, 02:46:49 AM »

Still in love with the blood on the wall. Did you do a post on that before? Would be cool to see how you do it (so I can steal it and turn Mable into a gore fest...)

Tadakuni Amano
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: May 20, 2017, 09:44:01 AM »

Still in love with the blood on the wall. Did you do a post on that before? Would be cool to see how you do it (so I can steal it and turn Mable into a gore fest...)

Blood on the wall is just a lot of cleverly placed tiles and layering tricks! I haven't done a tech post about it, but I may after release if there's enough interest.

Also sorry all for the lack of updates. I may have mentioned this before, but I'm getting to the point of development where it's hard to find new things to show without spoilers, but I'll still try to post brief gameplay clips while I can.

Bonus gif :

"Need a light?"

<- Katana ZERO devlog
@askiisoft
fall_ark
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 01, 2017, 03:13:05 AM »

Just saw the game on Steam store page saying the release date is this month:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/460950/Katana_ZERO

Would that be the case? Because HYPE.  Waaagh!

Nevermind. There isn't a set release date yet. Still...HYPE for whenever the game releases! Waaagh!

Chinese localizer and influencer. Translated Dead Cells, Slay the Spire, The Count Lucanor, Katana Zero, Dicey Dungeons, and involved in the localization of Reigns, The Curious Expedition, Desktop Dungeons, etc.
If you have questions about Chinese loc and publishing etc., find me at Twitter @SoM_lo
Fat Pug Studio
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: June 01, 2017, 03:26:05 AM »

Epileptic

gullinbursti
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: June 01, 2017, 07:01:44 AM »

I remember seeing one of the trailers a year - or so - ago. The art is STUNNING and the 80s vibe is just oozing... I really can't wait to try it out!

I am kind of divided though. When I see a game and I can't understand what's happening on screen, the controls are either too guided (so it's easy) or too convoluted (and it's super hard to play in style). In any case, it all looks soooo smooth I could cry.

Empires in ruins
Tadakuni Amano
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: August 01, 2018, 09:21:37 AM »

Well it's been a while since I posted here!

The main game is DONE (missing a bunch of art and sound assets though). I'm going to be spending the time until release just adding post-game content and polishing the minor alternate paths. Here's a new combat gif too!

« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 03:20:10 PM by Tadakuni Amano » Logged

<- Katana ZERO devlog
@askiisoft
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic