Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:22:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDontShmup - a 2D GB Style Shmup
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: DontShmup - a 2D GB Style Shmup  (Read 2675 times)
Senior-X
Level 0

am not a pervert

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2015, 10:09:59 AM »

hello!
so this is a game that am working on it in my free time,

Don't Shmup

I am working on it to learn Game Maker and GML, but also to try to make a full game from A to Z
the idea is to make a Shmup that you can finish without shooting, but just by dodging bullets and make them hit enemies, also am only using 4 colors (all green, to make it looks like a GameBoy)

anyway here is the first version of the game, I would like to know what you think about it, critics are welcome.

PROTOTYPE:
LINK

CONTROL:
A = shoot
Directional Keys = Move

Screenshot:

update 09/01/16
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 01:40:45 PM by Senior-X » Logged

Xonatron
Level 4

Be yourself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 03:36:02 PM »

Interesting. I am into shmups and I like the art work!

Matthew Doucette, Xona Games
- devlogs: xona.com/tigsource
Senior-X
Level 0

am not a pervert

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 01:21:21 AM »

Interesting. I am into shmups and I like the art work!

Thanks, if you try the Proto don't hesitate to give me your feedback on it.

lobstersteve
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 02:35:05 AM »

Hey Smiley
Nice idea. I'm also a little into shmups right now as i started making my own (Maybe with a devlog soon).
So i tried you prototype. It's ok for a first build Smiley
Some improvements i'd do: The action is rather slow paced, which is alright i guess, i'd make the ship speed higher, but that would maybe unbalance the gameplay, so maybe not. What i would definetly do, is to speed up the the front cloud layer a lot, that will add a lot of action to the game...and also change it's form to something more cloud - like (If those things are not just placeholders). I liked the part when the ships came from behind and started shooting in my direction..and also shoot up bombs. I think that's something you should ellaborate on more, to convey your game idea (It's not super clear for now, but yeah, it's a 2 minute prototype, so it's hard to tell). But i'd definetely add more of those elements.. something like, 2 ships flying in on the far left and far right and let them shoot each other.
Xonatron
Level 4

Be yourself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 08:28:46 AM »

Senior-X,

I just tried it, however I forgot that my new 3440x1440 monitor is only running 30fps until I upgrade to DisplayPort cables -- HDMI does not have enough bandwidth -- so I will wait and try it again after!

Senior-X
Level 0

am not a pervert

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 04:36:32 PM »

Hey Smiley
Nice idea. I'm also a little into shmups right now as i started making my own (Maybe with a devlog soon).
So i tried you prototype. It's ok for a first build Smiley
thank you for you time! waiting to see you devlog!

Some improvements i'd do: The action is rather slow paced, which is alright i guess, i'd make the ship speed higher, but that would maybe unbalance the gameplay, so maybe not. What i would definetly do, is to speed up the the front cloud layer a lot, that will add a lot of action to the game...and also change it's form to something more cloud - like (If those things are not just placeholders).

yes, I agree with you, I'm blaming also the music for this, and the speed of the flying bombs, I think what I should do is to spread the music, the enemies and the ship, and see if it doesn't break the game, I think as am not very far in the game, I can go as mad as I want since we can say there is no real gameplay for now to unbalance, I can take the risk.
as for the cloud layer, it needs to be changed, maybe not those far away cloud, but the one close, I should change their forms and speed, but I have to be careful that they don't make the visual unclear (since I use only 4 Color)

I liked the part when the ships came from behind and started shooting in my direction..and also shoot up bombs. I think that's something you should ellaborate on more, to convey your game idea (It's not super clear for now, but yeah, it's a 2 minute prototype, so it's hard to tell). But i'd definetely add more of those elements.. something like, 2 ships flying in on the far left and far right and let them shoot each other.

Yep, I need to create more enemies, it takes me too much time to program those enemies, but I need at least 2 more for the first map (+ maybe a boss).
and I'm still trying to find a good way to let the player know that the low ammo that the game give him at the beginning, are more like a "Joker" that you have to keep and use only in critical moments,
I liked your idea about the 2 ships flying, shooting each other, that can show to the player that he have to use enemies to win.

Quote from: Xonatron
I just tried it, however I forgot that my new 3440x1440 monitor is only running 30fps until I upgrade to DisplayPort cables -- HDMI does not have enough bandwidth -- so I will wait and try it again after!

okey cool!
even if I think that a 3440x1440 monitor is too good for a game inspired by the visuel of the old Game Boy! hah!

Xonatron
Level 4

Be yourself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 12:08:21 PM »

This new (ultrawide) monitor has me thinking it would be amazing to support a vertical scrolling shmup!

P.S. I noticed the install folder was "C:\Users\%username%\Shoot'em Up++++++++++\". I would install it the program folders not the user folders.

Senior-X
Level 0

am not a pervert

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 09:50:52 PM »

P.S. I noticed the install folder was "C:\Users\%username%\Shoot'em Up++++++++++\". I would install it the program folders not the user folders.

Shocked oh, right, I just forget to change this, I didn't wanted the game to be installed, just directly playable, am pretty sure I can do this with Game Maker, I just have to do some research for the next build.

Senior-X
Level 0

am not a pervert

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 07:34:06 AM »

did some change on the background + I added a little effect when you get close to the edge

Senior-X
Level 0

am not a pervert

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2016, 01:34:11 PM »

add a new enemie, a bomb that aim towards you if you get close to it. (edit: also I added a HUD)

I am also expecting to finish the first level soon and post it here for feedback, only thing missing right now is the first boss!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 01:44:34 PM by Senior-X » Logged

Xonatron
Level 4

Be yourself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2016, 03:19:23 PM »

Looking good!

flipswitchx
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 12:28:22 AM »

Nice! I love the strategy aspect of having limited bullets, and that cloud wave effect is super neat =)

Xonatron
Level 4

Be yourself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2016, 06:49:21 AM »

Curious how this game is coming along!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic