Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:10:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWritingHow do you name your characters?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: How do you name your characters?  (Read 3003 times)
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2016, 08:08:39 AM »

If I need a quick name for something minor I will skim my bookshelf for a name, or look up lists of people on Wikipedia.  The latter method lets you tune the pool to a specific era or language group (like looking up a list of Canadian politicians would give you more French names).

For more important things I don't have a well to go to beyond a text files of good sounding names I add to whenever I happen to hear a good one I might use for something.  Jotting down notes and having a stockpile of people, places, and things is always helpful for me.
IMBizMan316
Level 0

A member of the notorious Korean cult, Fakedice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2016, 10:29:13 PM »

I found a website that provides a list of fantasy names with ab advanced search option.  Anyone used this?  https://dicelog.com/yafnag

The game I'm working on -> Dicetiny on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/318090
case81
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2016, 07:00:37 AM »

I use baby names lists in various languages, lists that explain the meaning of names, and I tend to pick something with a meaning that fits the character. I also take names from novels I like (for real world names anyway, not something like "Legolas" of course) and combine them with a new first or last name. Usually there's some meaning involved. Sometimes I just use names that somehow come to me, but I do look up meanings.

For example I have a ruthless medic character trying to breed monsters, and both his first and last name mean "blind". Stuff like that.

I also pick names from history, such as the sites of famous battles. Waterloo would be a nice name for a troubled military leader.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 07:12:09 AM by case81 » Logged
shurita
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2016, 07:31:47 AM »

Hello!
Here is a method I use when the name doesn't instantly pops up in my head.
I start writing strong syllable, very much like a brainstorm and then when I have a pool big enough I start mixing them up and you'll eventually come to something interesting. Either you found the name or you modify a bit the interesting results to get a strong name. If you run out of syllable ideas you can start decomposing words and adding those parts to the pool.
Lets try it out: dar - lak - oro - nom - eco - ero - ando - tro - mik - nor - eri - aru - lon - dor.
Already from this pool I can take out a few: Nolak, Mikanor, Do'oro, Nomaru, Dartronor, and so on.
Hope it helps =)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic