Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 10:56:04 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingEvolution Simulation [WIP]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Evolution Simulation [WIP]  (Read 1505 times)
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« on: March 11, 2009, 10:20:05 PM »

I've started working on a little evolution simulator.  I've made a prototype of the basic ideas of it and plan to build it up from their.  I'll eventually try to build an actual game in there.  The idea is it would be part cellular automata and part spore demake. 

Currently, the creatures have 3 stats:  Speed, Power and Health.  These stats determine how quickly they get hungry, meaning that the higher the stats, the more other creatures they need to kill in order to keep alive (herbivores are not in the simulation yet, but they are a planned feature).  The creatures will also occasionally spawn a new creature with slightly varied stats from their own.  In this way, creatures that die off quickly don't get a chance to reproduce as much (or at all) and there for there is natural selection.  In the current prototype, the creatures color is based on it's stats (with each stat corresponding to either the Red, Green or Blue value) so that you can tell them apart.

You can download the current prototype here.

Planned Features
-Plant food and water:  Right now, there is only one food variable.  I plan to make it so that there is also thirst as well as the ability to eat plants.  Different stats will have different upkeep (for example, more speed could make the creature need to drink more water).

-More advanced behavior:  Right now, the creatures have very simple behavior.  I plan on making their behavior more complex and, if possible, evolved (ie. different reactions to different situations could be traits which have a random chance of changing with each generation)

-Environmental Aspects:  Aspects of the game world which can effect the creatures and motivate different evolutionary directions.

-A Game:  Allow the player to control a creature, and spend points to make slight changes to their creatures stats each generation.

Tell me what you think.

A Jumping Matchbox Bandit
Level 0

If only my name was allowed two more letters...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 11:07:50 PM »

Sounds cool, although its exactly like Darwin Pond http://www.ventrella.com/Darwin/darwin.html

"We’ve heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true."
- Robert Wilensky
eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 02:14:56 PM »

Evolution was put on earth to test our faith!!  Gentleman

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic