Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 05:25:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioGames with good use of leitmotifs
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Games with good use of leitmotifs  (Read 4661 times)
crumpet
Level 0

I did a art, once

View Profile WWW
« on: December 21, 2015, 03:38:26 AM »

In case you don't know what a Leitmotif is, here's a definition I stole from Wikipedia:

A leitmotif or leitmotiv /ˌlaɪtmoʊˈtiːf/ is a "short, constantly recurring musical phrase" associated with a particular person, place, or idea. It is closely related to the musical concepts of idée fixe or motto-theme.

This is different from character themes (the sort of thing used in games like Katawa Shoujio), as character themes are an entire piece of music for each character, while Leitmotifs are short character melodies which you put into different pieces of music to reference that character.

Been toying with using this in my current project, any one know of any games that do it/do it well? Always good to have an example, so I can see if it actually adds anything  to a game.

I used to think I was a failure. Then I discovered you can just buy trophies. Now I win at everything.
TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 05:45:05 AM »

It's incredibly effective!  I use that concept almost every day in my composing.  Granted, I do a lot of contemporary classical concert music alongside my video game work. However, you're absolutely right that video games do it, too.

The Witcher series is one of my favorite series (with such a beautiful score!).  Check out this link:

1.) Skip to 2:18.  Take note of the primary melody sung by the female vocalist.

2.) Skip to 1:06:47.  It's in the same key, probably the same vocalist, but with a much thinner orchestration underneath.  Also, listen to how the Violin introduces that first measure of the whole leitmotif.  This spot in the video is a whole track dedicated to that theme, so it's not necessarily a "leitmotif" in context, but I can assure you this theme arises within other moments of the game, especially cutscenes when someone says an important piece of dialogue.

This specific melody is for Triss Merigold, or any of the Sorceress characters, really.  Much like the beginning theme around 1:40 is for the main character, Geralt of Rivia.  These are two of the primary leitmotives that return throughout the game.

I hope this helps! :D

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 06:38:57 AM »

Oh my lord:

Final Fantasy 10

Out the butt. The theme for Suteki Da Ne, which I would say serves as the thematic material that outlines the relationship between Tidus and Yuna which is paramount to their success on the journey, is re-used and rehashed in quite a lot of pieces, although in rather beautiful ways.

(skip 42 seconds in)

(Starts the first 10 seconds or so)

Leitmotif (variation) 2 (Go to 30 seconds)

Risk of Rain is another good one, though the leitmotif in this one is more simplistic in nature (4 notes):

Risk of Rain Track 1 9Main Thematic Material comes in in the first 10 seconds.0

Risk of Rain Track 2 (Main Theme comes in again around the 25 second mark. A few pitches are changed, but the same overarching theme is there. (Now that I listen, I am hearing a LOT of Ed Harrison influence in this, haha))

He does a lot of alternating a few notes, though you can still pinpoint the note series.

Calum Bowen's Super Ubie Land:

Main Theme

Leiter 1

Leitmotifs are almost expected nowadays in any type of music media. If you want, I'd also suggest listening to Tristan and Isolde. Richard Wagner is one of earliest composers to be widely recognized for his leitmotif usage.

TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 09:08:01 AM »

Leitmotifs are almost expected nowadays in any type of music media. If you want, I'd also suggest listening to Tristan and Isolde. Richard Wagner is one of earliest composers to be widely recognized for his leitmotif usage.

I second this!  Richard Wagners's leitmotif usage in Tristan and Isolde is unbelievable.  It's a heck of a piece, so I encourage to really sit and dedicate some time with it.  Beautiful, extensive, and filled with leitmotives.

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
Audiosprite
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 05:39:10 PM »

Think the most interesting example right now is Undertale, given how cleverly the creator used it. See this playlist

Many tracks are other tracks time/pitchshifted beyond immediate recognition which was v effective and also which I think is hilarious

Storsorgen
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 07:15:23 AM »

I always thouht Planescape Torment had excellent leitmotifs for its characters.

For example!
DangerMomentum
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 05:47:16 AM »

One of my favorite examples is Persona 3. Over the course of the game, you explore deeper and deeper into the same dungeon. As the game progresses, its music develops and evolves:

Also, from the beginning of the game, one of the most used story songs is Living with Determination:

For the final stretch of the game, all of the overworld music is replaced with this remix of Living with Determination:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRYSk12SZvw

It does a good job of making the entire game feel like a journey despite taking place in one location, and the music evolving alongside it is one of the most important parts.

Silkworm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 03:17:58 PM »

Yes! Leitmotifs are a great, even for games that doesn't necessarily have a strong focus on narrative. Like how the boss themes in Shovel Knight are kind of a remix of the stage theme. It also doesn't have to be obvious. You can rework and twist a motif to have a completely different feel to it, sometimes so subtle you have to know what you're looking for to recognize it. I love to use them.

La mulana uses them pretty well, here's an example.

Think the most interesting example right now is Undertale, given how cleverly the creator used it.

Agreed! Undertale's soundtrack is great and almost every track shares motifs with like 5 or more other tracks. It also does so many styles and references so well.

Jason S. Longia
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 05:01:24 PM »

Chrono Trigger, Ni no kuni, Assassin Creed 2, FF13-haha M4uesviecr beat me for FF10.  Evil
Biometal SNES JPN OST, Tower of Heaven, Rayman 2, Kingdom Hearts for sure Evil

Evil Who, Me?

Aliases: R3MR pronounced "Reemer or Remmer."
Powerword: Jason S. Longia (lol)

A pleasure to meet you all. I am Jason, an avant-garde composer.

I also dabble in the game making
and art making scene.

Gamejolt: https://remr.gamejolt.io
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jason-s-longia
MikeSal
Level 0

Yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 11:35:26 AM »

I always thought Tower of Heaven did this very well. The entire OST is pretty much based around one melody.

Heres a link:
http://store.flashygoodness.com/album/tower-of-heaven-original-soundtrack
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic