Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:46:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingZiggy Demo 0.91.3
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Ziggy Demo 0.91.3  (Read 13860 times)
Tom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2009, 10:45:29 AM »

Howdy Guert, thank you for your detailed feedback. I was always a little put off by the little star meter and your suggestion would solve the problem as well as make the timer more readable at a glance. I will include it in the next update. I really thought I'd nailed the controls here but apparently not, I will take your suggestion and try and adapt the challenges to suit the controls. It'll also be a good excuse to go back and study those first Sonic levels as you said. At what points did you feel the obstacles were stopping the flow? I agree with your suggestion about the temple detail, I have plans to sort that out but will leave it as it is for now.

Arachne it's good to see you here, cool avatar btw. I'm very happy that you like the art, it means alot coming from you. Smiley I was quite surprised to hear so many complaints about the look of poor Ziggy, but actually now after going back and seeing how much attitude characters like Jazz or Sonic have, Ziggy does seem very....meh. For now I'll leave him be but rest assured I'll put him up along with all the other art at Pixelation in a couple of months so everyone can critique the hell out of him. I am unsure about the water, I tried my best to differentiate the two and there's never any pickups that lead into the death water, I also feel it livens the forest up a little. I'll remove it only if absoloutely neccessary. I agree with more incentive to kill the enemies, I'll probably add a combo/points system for killing them in succession.

Thanks for the positive feedback and critique everyone. Smiley
Fuzz
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2009, 12:22:12 PM »

I actually found Ziggy very charismatic and interesting. He doesn't look plain to me. The learning curve was excellent, as it slowly ramped up the difficulty until it got somewhat insane at the end, although it wasn't particularly hard. Fun game!
Tazi
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2009, 03:49:03 AM »

Very quality pixel art & nice controls!  Gentleman
The main hero also reminds me to Jazz Jackrabbit, because of the colors and the headband, and he definitely has some charisma too.

Btw, the temple stage still not works here on nice speed, unfortunately.  Sad

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2009, 04:56:13 AM »

The gameplay graphics etc are all excellent, but the difficulty makes me RAGE. I disagree completely with Fuzz, I thought the difficulty curve was horrible. All the levels are a breeze until the one which starts off with a series of sliding and attack-jumping across collapsing platforms. None of the sections in the level are bad in themselves, but it is fucking awful to have to play through them all, over and over again... especially as the sliding part at the start is the hardest bit, and how well you do on that bit is likely to determine your chances of finishing the level. Long gaps between checkpoints are the worst way of introducing difficulty.
Why is this level 4-5 times longer than all the ones before it?

I don't want to sound rude or discouraging. I'm angry because the rest of the game is so good.

Tom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2009, 05:26:31 AM »

Haha you don't sound rude or discouraging at all, in fact I'm very glad you told me, the last thing I want is for players to get angry. Sad

I'll try and make it a little less harsh for the next update, and I'll add a level skip feature so you wont have to play through it all again.

Also I'm a little frustrated that the temple still slows down, I'm going to try and fix that once and for all.
medieval
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2009, 09:14:54 AM »

I am really, really amazed by the visuals on this game. I agreed that the main character art was a little bland compared to the lovely world around him, but once I got playing it didn't really matter.

I have only played about four levels or so until now, and I also think that the levels are a little short, although I do like how action-packed each level is!

I would like it if there were some sort of level select screen, and each time after finishing a level the player unlocks the next. This is the kind of game that you don't run through in one sitting, I think.

Very nice game!
Fuzz
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2009, 02:11:53 PM »

Haha you don't sound rude or discouraging at all, in fact I'm very glad you told me, the last thing I want is for players to get angry. Sad

I'll try and make it a little less harsh for the next update, and I'll add a level skip feature so you wont have to play through it all again.

Also I'm a little frustrated that the temple still slows down, I'm going to try and fix that once and for all.
Maybe you could have multiple difficulty settings? I like it as it is now.

I would like it if there were some sort of level select screen, and each time after finishing a level the player unlocks the next. This is the kind of game that you don't run through in one sitting, I think.
I agree that an unlockable level select screen would be nice, but I found that this really was a game that I would tend to play in one sitting. The interesting thing is that just about half an hour after beating it, I felt like playing it again, so the replayability is definitely there for me.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2009, 05:25:28 PM »

Maybe you could have multiple difficulty settings? I like it as it is now.

This sounds like a good idea to me. It could be as simple as giving the player more lives in easy mode.

Also, I came back to the demo later and I beat it. It's not that hard, I admit, but it was very frustrating to be sent seemingly so far back when I lost all my lives.

vdgmprgrmr
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2009, 11:26:58 AM »

This game...

is beautiful.
mcsamuel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2010, 02:35:07 AM »

The graphics are amazing. Well done.
pgil