Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:43:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHALT - Run’N’Gun Action Platforming - HERE WE GO AGAIN
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: HALT - Run’N’Gun Action Platforming - HERE WE GO AGAIN  (Read 14937 times)
vaaasm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: December 21, 2015, 05:05:48 PM »

ABOUT HALT

HALT is a run-and-gun action platformer about cops, soda, robots and gangs. Welcome to the world's first privately owned law enforcement.

It is the on-and-off game project of indie developer and artist Nathaniel Torres, also known as vaaasm, with the help and soundtrack of artist and musician Robert J. Lake.
THE STORY

Inside a highly populated and technologically advanced city, the privately-owned HALT Police Department is the people's only hope for law and order, as the city lacks a constitutional government. However, the people's safety becomes threatened when a mysterious gang of punks and criminals called The Human begins to harass the department and commit acts of terrorism.

Detective underdogs Chris Tracy and Turner Chase are assigned the case of The Human, and it's up to them to fight off the gang's members, robots and strange monsters. As they fight crime and indulge in crazy shenanigans, Chris and Turner discover secrets about the city, the department, The Human, and themselves.

GAMEPLAY

In HALT, you get to play as the main character, Chris Tracy, an ordinary detective who's been assigned a big case. She is kind and sometimes aloof, but has the ambition to do great.

More importantly, Chris likes to shoot things. With her gun.

As you play throughout the game, Chris collects many different types of ammo compatible with her gun, and she can level them up to make them cooler, stronger or even completely different.

If Chris ever gets lonely in-game, you can have a friend to play alongside you as her partner, Turner Chase. HALT features co-op gameplay at any moment during game, whether if it is inside or outside levels.

MORE STUFF

Progress
12/21/2015:
5 out of 6 levels are completely coded and designed, 3 of them have imported art. 3 out of 6 boss stages are currently done.

I plan to add a hub, which is the HALT department, plenty of cutscenes, mini-bosses, different ammo types, and different guns.

07/09/2016:
All levels (6 out of 6) are completely coded, designed, and have pretty art! All boss stages are currently done! Though I think I'll add another half to the final boss.

The HUB has been added and has a full tileset, working doors, working NPC's, dialogue boxes, and looks rad. All ammo types are made though they need to be improved a bit and refined a lot. Still missing some sounds, music, most cutscenes, and I need to do 3 mini-bosses. Everything else is refinement and improvement.

01/29/2018:
The game is still in development due to significant setbacks during the development progress. However, more content is being added to the game in order to improve gameplay, such as a world-map, enemy encounters, and brand new levels.

Follow and stay tuned!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 09:26:19 AM by vaaasm » Logged

flipswitchx
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 09:35:36 PM »

Heyo, nice style. Looks like fun, I love that crouch pose ^_^

Already quite far in development eh? Bring it on home!

vaaasm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 07:53:20 AM »

thanks!

finally finished updating the old gun sprites, now also working on some level 4 stuff

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 09:56:18 AM »

I was going to suggest that - looks nice now. I like the colors and style you've got going on - keep it up!

vaaasm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 07:09:02 AM »

thanks!

Yesterday's screenshot saturday. Working on a water gun

ferreiradaselva
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 03:58:44 PM »

Hey @Vaaasm, the game is looking really charming!

By the look of the gifs, the gameplay is something megaman-esque?

vaaasm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 05:41:00 PM »

Oh definitely. The platforming style is pretty fast-paced but the areas are mostly pretty large and roomy. That's because the player actually moves pretty fast. The player will also mostly limit herself to only a pistol but with varying ammo types that can be obtained in levels for obstacles or optionally in shops for variety.

I guess the only exception to the megaman-like gameplay is that you can crouch and shoot down when in the air, which makes the controls more like cave story if anything

Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 02:56:17 AM »

Mmmm this looks lovely. Wizard

kraed
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 07:54:37 AM »

This is oozing juice all over the place! Nice, really enjoy the proportions and thickness of everything.

vaaasm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 12:40:17 PM »

Aside from putting out fires, the water gun will be used in Level 4 to clean infected areas. There will be chunks like this blocking the path and some enemies may be infected as well. If you touch anything infected, you will be infected yourself temporarily, removing -3 HP every few seconds until you come into contact with water or until it wears off.

Usually, if you come into contact with it once, it'll be enough to kill you.

Plastiware
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 04:09:21 PM »

Octopus Boss for stage 4

Video of Vaaasm drawing it, accompanied by more music for the game:
ferreiradaselva
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 08:04:33 AM »

@Vaaasm, that is a DNA molecule!

vaaasm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2016, 11:14:11 AM »

Working on the HUD for ammo types! There's gonna be another row at the bottom
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 12:59:27 PM by Vaaasm » Logged

quan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2016, 06:47:34 PM »

i love the art it looks super good!!!
vaaasm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2016, 07:39:01 AM »

thanks!!

Been doing more work on the boss stages, here's some footage

It's a bit unrefined for now. We're also aiming on having her summon some of the enemies from the earlier parts of the level

vaaasm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2016, 02:41:59 PM »

More boss stage stuff

vaaasm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2016, 10:14:29 PM »

Player Death

Some sprites from my twitter that I never posted

From now on I might have some difficulty showcasing cool new stuff in here and in general because I have a lot of schoolwork to do, so that's going to be taking a big chunk of my time. I'll still try to update the thread every once in a while with information and more pretty things.

Oh also in other news I'm going to be doing the sounds for the game from now on, so I might upload some of those. Plastiware's still gonna be making the music though

vaaasm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2016, 05:04:46 PM »

shooting some enemies

vaaasm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2016, 10:00:11 AM »

Shooting up a lemon man

SuperHatchGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2016, 11:18:57 AM »

There's some lovely original character design going on here. The bosses look fantastic; that octopus is amazing. And who doesn't love a futuristic bike!

I think the explosions could be a bit brighter maybe, but that's just my preference. It's all looking great Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic