Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:01:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHALT - Run’N’Gun Action Platforming - HERE WE GO AGAIN
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: HALT - Run’N’Gun Action Platforming - HERE WE GO AGAIN  (Read 14938 times)
vaaasm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2016, 07:14:13 AM »

More cutscene/dialogue stuff!!

Lately I've been doing a bunch of work on the game, namely refinement stuff and things for the HUB. I might upload a playable demo soon of the first level, along with the intro and cutscenes that come with it.

vaaasm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2016, 06:58:32 AM »

Popping in here to say that I might be able to release a playable demo very soon! The first of it's kind. Planning on having cutscenes, the hub, and the first level.

Although I'm not entirely sure. If I were to upload it very soon, I'm probably not gonna have most of the music for the game yet, but i'm gonna try my best to get it all done soon.

However, I'm mostly interested in knowing if you guys would try it out! Tell me what y'all think.

vaaasm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2016, 04:14:19 PM »

A message from Mr. Eye...[

Hey everyone! Just wanted to update this thread with an announcement!

NEW DEVBLOG!!

I've switched devblogs to a new page, haltofficial.tumblr.com.

Right now I've only moved some of my previous posts, but I'll be posting bigger updates and way more often from now on.

It would help a lot if those interested could follow to stay caught up!

vaaasm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2016, 08:32:37 AM »

Some concept art of the second boss stage

vaaasm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2016, 02:29:45 PM »

woah update:

I've spent a lot of my recent working on mostly refinements, a bit of improvements, and pretty stuff. I've been forgetting to change the percentage of the game's progress on this devlog, but right now I'm probably at around 60%. I've finished all the levels, boss stages, and most of the features. I will be posting a lot more on the stuff that I haven't been able to showcase here, which is actually a lot of progress. I haven't shown you guys most of the ammo types, bosses, art, or gameplay.

I do have a lot of work left to do with the last level though. I have to refine the enemy deaths and finish placing the tileset, but most of the core stuff is down.

The rest of the 40% left for HALT is the cutscenes, sound, music, and ultimate refinement. The music's progress has never really been far, so the current setback doesn't really matter. The sounds are doing pretty well, I haven't showcased them either. I started adding them around the beginning of june, and right now there's a few left but it can be done pretty quickly.

There's a lot of work to do in cutscenes, considering I only have the intro cutscene around done so far. The story is probably the strongest aspect of the game, and it'll be hell of a lot more fun whenever I get to showcase that. However, I feel like they should be worked on wayy later, so I shouldn't worry about them too much right now. I will have lots of time to work on those when the game's like basically benched on greenlight or something.

Anyway, here's some recent stuff: new camera movement, underwater bubble, and shark warning!

vaaasm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2016, 02:04:47 PM »

Chris battles the Octopus! Fourth boss stage of HALT.

vaaasm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2016, 11:52:15 AM »

Oops I had totally forgotten I had already posted a GIF on that stage. Anyway:

I've made a page for HALT on IndieDB! Make sure to track the project if you're interested!

I've also updated the OP with new art and some more information on the characters! Check it out!

I'm also starting to make devlogs more often, with series of posts showcasing cool stuff, gameplay, and features from the game.

Ammo Types Preview - Incendiary
The ammo menu in HALT can be used to switch from your default ammo to any ammo type that you've collected in the game so far. Today I'll be discussing the incendiary ammo.

Once you switch up your ammo type, your HUD changes responsively, as your bullets change color and it displays the amount of bullets you have for that certain ammo type.

The incendiary weapon is the first ammo type you get that isn't your default one. The default ammo is very trusty, and delivers -1 damage to enemies per shot.

The incendiary weapon's bullets deals the same damage to enemies per shot. However, it leaves a trail of falling fire, which allows the player to strategically place their shots to affect their enemies.

It also explodes when it hits an enemy.

It also makes roofs, walls, and floors catch fire whenever they are shot directly.

The fire particles damage all enemies every few milliseconds when they come into contact with them. This allows for spontaneous damaging and more efficient monster butt-kicking.

That's all for today!! Stay tuned to see more devlog action!

vaaasm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2016, 12:43:28 PM »

Click here to read the article on IndieDB!

These past couple days I've managed to get some work done on HALT's main menu & interface!

It has a very cool but also temporary intro. It is possible that I'll add all the characters in the intro, and they'll be dancing or something.

It'll probably need some more cool effects, like glittery particles and neat transitions, but right now, it's navigable and responsive.

Right now, "New Game" leads you to a test room while "Load Game" and "Credits" don't take you anywhere. However, the options menu totally works now. The player can now bind different keys and choose whichever one fancies them.

The game saves your keys onto an ini file, and therefore they come back up whenever you reset the game.

HALT now also has controller support! They left analog stick works by default, and I'll make it so that in the options menu you can switch sticks. You'll also be able to bind the d-pad.

When the game detects that a gamepad is connected, it also draws the gamepad controls right next to the keyboard ones.

You can watch this video to watch me test the game with an XBOX controller. It's a bit low quality since I have nothing else to record both my screen and my real boy hands.

vaaasm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2016, 07:16:06 PM »

Hey guys it's me again!

I wanna announce that from now on rj™ will be doing the soundtrack for the game!

He's started doing a sick synthwave-inspired soundtrack, with some other influences like chillwave and disco! You can check out one of his tracks by clicking this link!

Lately I've been working on some more interface stuff for HALT, along with features and items!

I've finally made a shop for the player to shop for their ammo types. They'll be able to unlock each ammo type throughout the game little by little. You can buy each bullet for a certain price, and you can raise the amount of bullets as much as you'd like. The stronger ones are obviously much more expensive.

Chris goes to battle while carrying exactly 40 buckets.

I've also been editing the player's ammo menu. Now, besides an ammo menu, the player will have a cool inventory! They'll be able to collect items such as powerups, food to go, and other special weapons. I'll go more in depth with the inventory in later devlog updates!

Stay tuned for some more devlog action!

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2016, 06:01:26 AM »

i'm doing my best to fit the ludicrously luscious visuals here, please have pity on me as i make my way through this world.

i've got at least 35% of the ost sketched out with some surprises in approach i may talk about soon!

also an aside: the Feel of this is so so solid? i can't wait for people to get their hands on it to see, seriously

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2016, 06:15:15 AM »

is that a cocktopus
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2016, 06:36:18 AM »

i am not capably equipped to confirm or deny the quantity of cocktopi within the video game called "halt"

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2016, 06:49:13 AM »

also wouldn't a true cocktopus be a dick with eight tentacles, rather than an octopus with multiple dick-esque protrusions

what's the over under

vaaasm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2016, 02:45:33 PM »

In HALT, there are several ammo types that go along with your pistol, but throughout the game, you can pick up power-ups that upgrade your pistol to certain ammo types.

Before we get into the power-ups though, let's talk about your default ammo type, and the heavy ammo type.

Your regular (default) ammo type fires shots that deliver -1 damage to each enemy. However, there are infinite amount of shots, meaning you can use it at any time, even though it's probably more challenging.

Now say hello to the heavy ammo type. The bullets are much bigger than those of regular shots, and become a bit smaller a few seconds after they're fired.

If a heavy bullet hits an enemy within the first few milliseconds it's shot, it will do -3 damage. After it's gotten smaller, it does -2 damage. However, although stronger, heavy bullets are short-lived. They have friction, and therefore their speed decreases while it continues to exist.

These bullets also bounce on walls and floors a couple times.

Now let's get to the power-ups! These can be picked up whenever they are seen in a level, or can be bought in the weapon shop.

The machine gun is a power-up of your regular ammo type. Once picked up, it replaces your regular pistol with a yellow machine gun, which allows you to spam bullets at your enemies.

The shotgun is a power-up of your heavy ammo type. Once picked up, it replaces your heavy pistol with a shotgun that fires 4 heavy bullets for every shot.

NOTE: When you pick up a power-up, it also instantly equips you with it, even if you might not have the gun's parent equipped.

This makes the shotgun a superbly powerful weapon, as it does more damage and shoots in a larger quantity.

Since heavy bullets bounce a few times after they're shot, the shotgun allows for ricochet mayhem.

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2016, 06:48:29 PM »

Following this.

Looks pretty fun and the art looks great Smiley

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2016, 08:52:01 AM »

thanks! i can guarantee (although the fda hasn't yet approved my statements) that HALT will make your dreams come true

currently I'm trying to get lyrics written for the music, because I wanna play around with vocals. they may not even stay in the final version at all, who knows, but I have a FEELING it might be a neat way of going about things, especially with a game that has this specific an atmosphere.

IN THE MEANTIME, THOUGH, so that you don't just have endless words...

...here's another music update: click

vaaasm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2016, 06:16:26 AM »

Check out the trailer and vote for us on Steam Greenlight!

Thanks for your support up to this point, and for being interested in the devlog!

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2016, 09:53:40 AM »

we're currently batting just under 40%, which is pretty okay after a day i think? but we need to make it to the top, of course, so tell your friends and lovers

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2016, 10:07:34 AM »

I voted! for obama

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2016, 10:52:24 AM »