Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 12:25:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBlitzkampfer - A GalagaVania with a whip as your only weapon.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Blitzkampfer - A GalagaVania with a whip as your only weapon.  (Read 18211 times)
Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2016, 11:24:48 AM »

ah wow. thats a lot of actually really good input. i didnt really think of a lot of that. ill see what i can do about the pushing away and bullets + enemies keeping movement, that could actually be really good and its really super easy to do, from what i remember. the tutorial always was sorta something super temporary, i never really liked it that much, actually. i can work on that. the bullets are iffy, true, i was planning on fixing those. the background ill work on.

in other words, ill work at trying to do everything you suggested, since none of it seems beyond my grasp. thanks!

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
Connor
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2016, 11:50:55 AM »

streaming at www.twitch.tv/cjheighton, making use of some of inky crickets ideas and potentially doing a few bug fixes if i encounter them. thanks for the ideas, by the way.

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
Connor
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2016, 07:45:02 PM »

Oh god, okay. We did A LOT in todays stream.

first off, with the help of my twitch viewers, i successfully implemented an invincibility frame. its a tad bugged in the way that the full ui flashes with it, but i actually dont mind that since it makes the fact your invincible a whole lot easier more visible .

the invincibility frame activates when the player reaches 0 lives and 0 health, and in exchange for a temporary practical invincibility and a replenished set of lives and health, it adds to a death counter. once that counter reaches three, YOUR OUTTA THERE! (you die.) in other words, you got three chances and then you have to restart. ill probably be adding a hotkey for saving and loading the game so sit tight for that, i guess (wait, i havent even released this to the public yet?! holy crap i better get to work on releasing this to publicskidoodles)

second off, as you can see, enemies now bump/collide with each other! this totally replaces the stopping on collision thing, and was an EXCELLENT idea by inky that turned out incredibly well, far better than i honestly expected it to. (sorry for doubting ya inky XD ive been working at this exact thing for months, let me be skeptical Lol)

okay, finally, we have two things in this gif that you mighta grasped from the other two but i might as well address. first off, i have reworked the main background for blitzkampfer! it looks SOOOOO much better, i quite honestly am extremely happy with it. second off, the enemy bullets have been made much more visible. ill probably keep working on the bullets cause they look like bubbles (hey, maybe ill make it a setting or something) but for now its a lot more bright and noticeable so im cool with it.

heres the background for the main map now, ^_^

anyways, thats it for me for today! awesome amount of work done, quite happy with the results! heres to another potential stream on friday! (or i might go get my phone to work, its been all funky for a little while now. DAMN YOU TELUS AND YOUR UNCLEAR INSTRUCTIONSSSSS)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 11:33:21 AM by Connor » Logged

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:

Connor
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2016, 09:32:27 PM »

updated postskidoodle!

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:

BananasGoMoo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2016, 11:23:04 AM »

Hey there.

The new art looks much better, but I would recommend two things:

1: You don't need that fullsize image of the background in this thread. TIG makes a scrollbar on the post so you can't even see the whole thing. I would just remove the fullsize and only have the small version in this thread.

2: Update your main post with the new images, so people can see the new background and other art. They probably aren't going to read through all the pages of the thread.

Good luck on your game, btw!
Connor
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2016, 11:30:17 AM »

hey! yeah i was just kinda fooling around with that post, it was super late at night so i got in a really weird hyperactive sorta mood. yeah, i was actually thinking about updating it like 5 minutes ago, ill do that.

thanks for the support man, im trying my hardest!

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:

BananasGoMoo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2016, 11:37:08 AM »

Oh also, one more suggestion on the minimap you have:

I would recommend having it stand out more. As it is, it uses the same background as the game, which causes problems when the whole screen is purple for example, it is basically invisible to the user, because it would be purple as well.

Maybe put a border around it? I'm not sure, you'd have to play around with it.

Also in one of your gifs, the UI was flickering. What was that about?

-BGM
Connor
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2016, 11:45:04 AM »

oh yeah, i can do the border. uh, the flickering gui is sorta a byproduct of the invincibility frame i made that only happens WHEN you're invincible. to be honest i actually like it since it makes the "oh shit your invincible go crazy" thing a whole lot more obvious.

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:

Connor
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2016, 04:05:58 PM »

streaming at www.twitch.tv/cjheighton! we're working on simplifying the tutorial and some other stuff!

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:

Connor
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2016, 08:38:35 PM »

two awesome things today. today we made DOC, the digital onboard computer. its sort of a fancy user interface but we're gonna voice it. second off we implemented a tutorial area which is probably the funnest area in the game right now since the walls are all bouncy. (inky cricket is the greatest).

after all this, im now working with some good friends of mine that i really trust, and they will be doing a mascot image for DOC, voicing bosses and doc and maybe the player, and doing some other great stuff (the title screen). im not letting them do anything huge though, as i remember my mistake with verigans revenge. they will be doing odd jobs i cannot do and generally helping me out owo

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:

Connor
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2016, 11:51:12 AM »

hey everyone, been a while. im gonna be streaming most likely in a bit. www.twitch.tv/cjheighton, you know the drill, lol

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:

Connor
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2016, 05:11:34 PM »

okay, streaming now. feel free to join, today we work on 1 to 2 ships for each race (more on that later)!

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:

Connor
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2016, 03:46:41 PM »

streaming again, adding functionality to the five ships we made yesterday, just finished the light imperial ship

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:

Connor
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2016, 08:03:41 PM »

okay, so today we have quite a few things involving races and disposition, as well as new potential allies or enemies.

first off, in blitzkampfer, we have decided there will be six "races", four of which being different races, and two being an offshoot of another.

to start, we have the vaam. (yes, me and my friends had a huge amount of fun with the naming of the races here)
the vaam are going to be a sentient tree race, ala groot. they are stingy traders and use many fast ships.

the amn are an offshoot race of the vaam. the amn are a race that seperated from the vaam over time due to tensions and infighting in the vaam. while the vaam prospered on their tree filled paradise, the amn slowly dwindled. with time, and due to the gift of clairvoyance the amn gained from their wandering, they have discovered their race is soon to disappear/die out. as such, they have decided to help the war between the many races as a completely neutral party.

the bak'han are next. (god i love these names)
the bak'han are a warmongering race from a distant world that is covered in lava and fire. no plants dwell there, but instead a race of intelligent lava based rock golems have emerged. the bak'han are a violent, angry race that will not stop until they have controlled the entire galaxy. because of their warmongering attitude, they got on the bad side of the empire.

the empire are the race the player hails from. simply put, the empire is a coalition of humans from many different colonized planets that have banded together to fight injustice in the galaxy. they were the ones who started the multi race war with the bak'han.

the pirates, well, the pirates are pirates. outcasts and stuff. you all know the deal.

finally we have the sil. the sil are a highly intelligent highly religious race. the sil will go on holy crusades in the name of their god, and often follow their gods laws to the script. unlike most religions however, their race is literally built around a living god, one of the sil so powerful that they can control gravity and the elements in a small radius around themselves. (no, you dont get to fight him/her)

okay, so to compliment each race, they will have four different classifications of ships. light, trader, medium, and heavy. this comes to a total of 24 ships from six races.

right now, today, i finished work on three of the six light class ships each race uses.

first off we have the amn bekkle. the bekkle is a light class ship that has a large amount of health.

the bekkle normally just sorta minds its own business out in the stars, but it changes when you harm its disposition, and will fire shield shaped bullet spreads at the player.

next up we have the vaam thaurun. (again! laughing at the ship names)
the thaurun is a ship that fires straight streams of bullets out of it when left alone, and does the exact same against the player when their disposition drops below 0. (again, ill explain disposition once im done showing off the ships.)

finally, we have the sil pekkan, based on a bird, the ship actively fires bullets out in a large radius behind it as it flies in an effort to ward off pursuers. sadly, the sil did not equip these ships with front facing guns, so they can literally only fire behind them. if you anger them, they will fire dual bullet strings behind them in an effort to make the player stay away from it.

okay, now that we have all the new ships done for today, we will discuss disposition. disposition is most likely going to work like this. each ship has a locally based disposition. with every trade with them, they will gain one disposition when you come to encounter them again. if you harm them, their disposition will lower, causing them to either stop being your ally entirely, (once you reach zero) or attack you. (once you reach -5)

in addition to a local disposition, there will probably be a global disposition. if you actively hunt one race, their global disposition will decrease, eventually leading to them ceasing to trade with you entirely (in bad situations) or even worse turning the entire race against you. if you actively trade with one race, such as the amn and vaam, they will gain a more favourable disposition towards you, potentially leading to them being willing to fight for you (yes, an entire race as an ally. awesome right?). this can also be done with hunting certain races. for example, the bak'han and pirates will hate you to begin with, but if you hunt the empire ships and go turncoat, they might be willing to stop actively attacking you. they will not be able to be brought above 0 disposition though, probably.

the disposition stuff will probably all happen, though i have no idea how to count killing an opposite race and increasing a variable as a result. (i'll need to figure that out)
also, a lot of this lore will probably be put into the game, in the form of voice logs and stuff that i will be getting my friends to help me with. finally we will be getting drawings of each race from an artist friend of mine, which will be awesome.

yeah. so, lots of speculation and a lot of confirmation. right now though, im going to head out. thanks for dropping in.
-connor

« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 08:16:34 PM by Connor » Logged

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:

Connor
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2016, 03:53:57 PM »

hey all, We're live again! today we're doing behaviors for more ships, portraits for races (used in dialog boxes i guess), and maybe a few other things

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:

Connor
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2016, 09:40:21 PM »

hey all, had a really busy couple of days busking and overall being busy, so im gonna post about what we got done in the last livestream.

first off, two new ships for the bak'han and pirate factions of evil and hatred.

this is the pirate class nipper, a light class pirate fighter. basically speaking, the pirates will be mainly other race's ships with the exception of being innately hostile with no chance of turning into an ally. the nipper utilizes the amn light class bek'kle, with the attack patterns, and it will actively follow you. no biggie, its a pirate, do you really expect them to actually be innovative? haha

next up we have the most innately evil thing i have ever created: the bak'han bruiser. this guy does absolutely zero damage but instead rams into the player forcefully and flings him away. in this gif i never actually moved my ship once. THESE GUYS ARE HORRID IN GROUPS; the best course of action if you encounter multiple of them is to run away and occasionally shoot behind you at them in the hopes they die. literally thats all i have been able to do against them. as i said before, EVIL.

next we have something you possibly noticed in both gifs, and that is that everyones prayers have been answered and i have figured out where to draw a border for the mini-map. the border will show up pretty much everywhere, including in rooms that dont have a mini-map, but it isnt too intrusive so i will keep it around and probably add mini-maps every room instead of toggling whether or not its visible.

finally we have a new background and a sprite for DOC in case i add dialog boxes or whatever. (dont worry about the time this will all take, i have refused to put a due date for this game so i can take my time.)

the background is for any hold the point maps in the future:

basically its a broken up planet with some little shards of asteroid floating around; its a bit large for the level itself, so i resized it a bit, but other than that this is the background in all it's glory.

and finally this is the mascot image for DOC, basically ill be using it in dialog if i implement dialog boxes.

other than that, not much really happened last livestream, a bunch of chatting and casual stuff but thats about it.

ok, that's it for me, thanks for dropping in! -connor

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:

Connor
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2016, 11:39:52 PM »

okay! we have released blitzkampfer to the public for the first time! its on itch.io, and im absolutely terrified people will dislike it lmao.

https://cjheighton.itch.io/blitzkampfer-beta

here ya go! this is the page for it. as i mentioned before... im absolutely terrified, but im sure things will turn out okay, at least.

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:

Connor
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2016, 11:49:37 AM »

hey guys! streaming at twitch.tv/cjheighton! you know the drill, more ship stuff, maybe a new event (you guys are gonna probably need to give me ideas for that cause im stumped), and potentially ill start working on the global disposition system.

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:

Connor
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2016, 05:36:25 PM »

hey all! the streams done, and we got a lot done!
first off, two new enemy/friend thingys.

the first enemy is actually something that leads into the new event. this is the bak'han reaper. the bak'han reaper starts out being completely easy to deal with....

and soon becomes less so. the reaper will start out with 1500 hp, and periodically it creates bak'han bruisers. this combination becomes something almost unbearably annoying to me, but probably less so for all of you. i look forward to seeing how quickly people can take this guy down.

second off, the pirate light fighter.

the light fighter is a second light class pirate ship (heh) that moves as quickly as the player. it fires several bullets within very little time at all, leading to a very interesting fight.

lastly, there is the new stage. the event is called "the gauntlet". the gauntlet is going to have a bak'han reaper and the player on either end of a 5000pixel wide x 1000 pixel tall field. the player has to take down the reaper while the reaper attempts to fend it off. goddamn is it annoying, but its actually kind of interesting too since the level is only as tall as your screen so when the bruisers hit you you get sent flying and looping everywhere. its crazy.

- 80 percent of this was cut out due to a glitch that spazzed the screen out and im fixing it as we speak.

lastly, i have been working on simplying the portal marker. the markers code was a horrifying blend of tons of drag and drop files and small tidbits of code, and MY GOD AM I GLAD ITS GONE. its been simplified to maybe 6 drag and drop items, two of which are full codes that include everything the forty or so drag and drop files could do before.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 06:52:57 PM by Connor » Logged

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:

Connor
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2016, 03:06:29 PM »

okay! livestreaming in a few seconds down at www.twitch.tv/cjheighton! come drop in for some stuff. if we get a few people on the stream i think ill work on another new gamemode or something, viewers choice!

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic