Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:50:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeCan a console handle my game idea?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Can a console handle my game idea?  (Read 864 times)
TheWannaBDev
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 26, 2015, 07:55:20 PM »

Q1: how big is the PC gamer market? Only talking about ps3/360 level and up compatible PC gamer.

Q2: Which platform would you say is easier to break into as a developer PC or console?
Q2.1: Is Steam a PC, Console or hybrid between the two?

Q3: What has the most impact on frame rate NPCs or players?

Q3.1: Can a ps4 handle 200 players at the same time in a game like Skyrim? Would a dedicated server make it achievable? No less than 30 frames is acceptable.

Q4 If I made my game in 720p would that give me a higher frame rate? I value steady gameplay over visuals.

Oh I've seen the NPC war but that seems to be only possible on high level PC's

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 08:17:18 PM »

The fact that you posted this in creative is misleading. You should post it in technical instead, where people won't assume from the title that you're being pretentious by claiming that a console can't handle your "brilliant ideas" or something Wink

TheWannaBDev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 08:38:47 PM »

The fact that you posted this in creative is misleading. You should post it in technical instead, where people won't assume from the title that you're being pretentious by claiming that a console can't handle your "brilliant ideas" or something Wink

I thought the technical forum would be too sophisticated for this type of talk. I thought that was an area for people trying to figure out a code their having problems withwith instead of my rookie questions.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 08:49:12 PM by TheWannaBDev » Logged
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 08:48:16 PM »

Well, your problem seems to be focused on performance, so technical is probably the place where you'll get the best help. Besides, the part of your post that isn't about performance is about marketing statistics, and I believe you can ask about that in business with no issues. So, feel free to separate your post in two for the purposes of asking the right people for answers. You'll probably get much better advice that way!

TheWannaBDev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 08:53:47 PM »

Well, your problem seems to be focused on performance, so technical is probably the place where you'll get the best help. Besides, the part of your post that isn't about performance is about marketing statistics, and I believe you can ask about that in business with no issues. So, feel free to separate your post in two for the purposes of asking the right people for answers. You'll probably get much better advice that way!

Thanks, I appreciate the help.
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 10:29:06 PM »

There's a ton of things you can optimize for. If you're so focused on frame rates, just pull a Minecraft and make everything blocks.

There's a lot of things that affect frame rate, but in this day and age it's not really something to worry about. Whatever your idea is, it's probably possible. It's a different issue if you're asking whether it's possible on a SNES. Just depends on how much effort you're willing to throw at different features.

Minecraft also sold for billions, so the PC market is definitely big enough to start with.

PS4 is better than your "average" PC so tech issues are not a problem.

I'd recommend you build the absolute minimum first, and start adding features later. If you absolutely need 200 players, build them first and represent them as blocks, then figure out where the bottlenecks are and where to optimize for speed and art.
moomat
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 01:33:08 AM »

1. Pretty big. I've read some articles saying it's the biggest market, and some that say console gaming is bigger. Honestly I don't know what's true, but I know from common experience it's big. I have no idea what "Only talking about ps3/360 level and up compatible PC gamer" means though.

2. PC. Make a game, sell it online. It's just that easy. From what I understand there's quite a lot of red tape, networking and other business-related issues going into consoles. That seems to be on a flattening trend, though.
2.1 Currently PC, progressing into a hybrid, maybe.

3. This is a really weird question: depends on about a thousand factors (do the NPCs have AIs, how many entities are being processed per tick, what does the overall asset structure of your game look like and how does asset loading work, etc.). The fact that you're asking this question says to me you don't know enough yet for me to answer it, and it's just too open-ended to be able to be answered point-blank.

4. Again, too open-ended. Depends on a lot of things; an unanswerable question in that very open-ended form. Different games in different engines compute graphics in different ways. It's like asking "How fast can cars go?" Answer: Depends on the car.

Check out Junk E.T. at junketgame.com

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic