Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 05:48:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWizard's College: Fantasy Sim
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Wizard's College: Fantasy Sim  (Read 2218 times)
m4s0n
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 31, 2015, 09:27:37 PM »

About the Game Wizard

Wizard’s College is a simulation game where you build a school for Wizards! Design your campus, hire professors, and develop your students, as you create a legendary academy for spellcasters. Send your students on quests to gain experience and, if they survive, bring back gold and artifacts to grow your school.

Wizard’s College is a fantasy sim that blends the simulation feel of games like Dungeon Keeper II, Theme Hospital, and The Sims with the base management of XCOM and Game Dev Story. I’m using an isometric camera setup and solid-shaded 3D art style.

I’ve been working on construction first. Here’s a GIF that summarises the first week’s progress:

Tools

I used Unity and C# for the first time at Ludum Dare earlier in December 2015, and will be continuing with it for this project. I grabbed Qubicle last week to start to learn 3D art. I have probably definitely signed myself up for a big workload. But I love management/simulation games and this is the game I want to play.

More Info

I’ll be posting substantial development milestones in this thread. If you’d like to see incremental updates I’d suggest checking out my Twitter and Tumblr content.

Many amazing games have been documented on these forums. I hope to continue that tradition with this thread for Wizard’s College. Thanks for reading!
Cornelisjordaan
Level 0

composer | soundmaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 11:08:40 PM »

Dungeon Keeper, Theme Hospital, XCOM ... I am in love! Really cool!  Grin

Cornelis Jordaan | composer
www.cornelisjordaan.com
Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 12:50:34 AM »

Oh! I'm already loving the idea!

How far along are you in terms of developing the characteristics of the school? Can there be wizard duels?!

m4s0n
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 04:58:20 AM »

Thanks for the kind words you two Smiley

Duelling will be in the game. When it comes to leveling your students, it sits between classroom and questing on the risk/reward spectrum.
ashen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 07:03:23 PM »

Looks really fun already!  I can see the similar influences in our games.  A wizard school immediately makes me think of Harry Potter, not a bad thing at all, there are a tonne of ideas and themes you could 'borrow' from those books.  Are you gong for the multiple Z levels (two storey buildings etc)?

Thanks for mentioning Qubicle, and voxel editors in general, I had forgotten about those.  I've been using Blender so far and it is incredibly powerful but also requires a lot of effort to become productive with. 

I don't own Qubicle, but I've been playing around with MagicaVoxel lately.  I think it could  be useful to mock things up such as hard angled furniture and other similar structures and then export into Blender for further tweaking.  All my graphics are rendered to PNG and displayed as 'sprites'. I guess you're using the 3D models directly in Unity which is probably a bit more flexible.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic