Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 11:57:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeThe scariest part of making a game?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: The scariest part of making a game?  (Read 10697 times)
everlive
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2016, 07:37:48 PM »

Not knowing how to monetize a game without surrendering to a third-party to do it for you.
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2016, 08:03:17 AM »

My biggest fear is to release the game and never have a single sale/play.

Same to me.... truly even not yet release I still fear that no one even notice that my game exist. XD
If you truly fear this then you are in the wrong business and indie games development is not for you. The vast majority of indie games get very few downloads/sales. Even those by established indies can struggle. I like to chat about sales whenever I meet devs at events and expos. What I've found is that as a whole the indie games industry isn't nearly as healthy as it's made out to be. Plenty of games that I thought were sure fire successes have struggled. Even a few IGF finalists.

TGHoly
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2016, 09:13:48 AM »

Nah... truly I never expect to get rich in this path anyway it's more like I fear that  I can't even make same money as what I paid for member of the team that's my point...

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2016, 09:37:15 AM »

I can't even make same money as what I paid for member of the team that's my point...
That's not a healthy state of mind to jump into indie game industry.
TGHoly
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2016, 10:12:20 AM »

at least I have the team and some confidently in my own project that's why I'm still here. :p

Joh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2016, 02:03:52 PM »

I can't even make same money as what I paid for member of the team that's my point...
That's not a healthy state of mind to jump into indie game industry.

Im not sure I see whats wrong with it? (unless he pays himself from "after breaking even")
If he paid more his team member than he made, then he threw money at nothing, he'd be in the negative and that's always bad.

I'd think making 0$ is what most would like & expect, anything lower is a pretty bad deal (you gave time and passion and money for not much people to maybe have fun.) Anything Higher is a decent deal (at least you didnt lose money to maybe give people some fun). If you make good money then you got yourself a good deal, but most wouldn't expect it (or at least i hope so), the industry seems pretty awful.

If anything the idea of giving more money than what you get (out of it) seems like a unhealthy habit in the glorious world of capitalism.

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2016, 02:22:23 PM »

I was just pointing out how the indie industry drifted out. It used to be something people did with passion and belief that you're creating something you and people would want to play.

And now what is remaining is people afraid of monetary and investement process.
If you're afraid nobody's going to be interested by your game than you're mostly not in the right business  especially if you started paying for a team.

i may be agressif towards this but i've seen enough dev whining about not getting success while claiming to be indie one man army game and behind the scene he's paying for artists animators etc...

Too much people are jumping in the indie bandwagon for cheap bucks.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2016, 02:42:07 PM »

That passion had led some people to want to be able to do this full time for a living. To be able to spend all their working hours on this very passion. What's wrong with that?

Joh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2016, 02:43:07 PM »

Im fairly certain there is still a lot of passion out there. If anything someone paying a team before confirming the interest probably has too much. The problem (if we can even call it one) is ambitious teams raised the bar for everyone. It's hard for a single person to have all the skillsets to make a full game that has the quality some would expect.

Thus people need team, teams need this awesome (ugh) glue called Money. Now i'll totally agree with you about paying a team while afraid no one will play your game.
Not sure why people would hide the help they get, I'm pretty sure being a team has more credibility.
and the indie bandwagon doesn't seem like cheap bucks, well except the phone market, im quite tempted myself but its probably not as good as it looks just like the indie market.

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2016, 02:44:32 PM »

That passion had led some people to want to be able to do this full time for a living. To be able to spend all their working hours on this very passion. What's wrong with that?

i said that it isn't Healthy
TGHoly
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2016, 03:31:11 PM »

It's ok if people didn't buy my game and it acceptable they don't want to play the game we made but it's sad that no body see my game at all. I fear it because marketing and promote isn't my thing. [at least if people see the game I still have some hope to get back some money :p ]
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 03:45:17 PM by TGHoly » Logged

Mothil
Level 2

Mothil

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2016, 06:01:27 AM »

So far there isn't something that has scared me that much. Most likely it's because I'm very new at this, as I'm making my first title now. Uploading the game to Google Play and hopefully Apple Store is definitely going to scare me. Starting to code was actually very frightening as well, cause I was scared I wouldn't be good enough to make my ideas come true. I'm still deeply in love with my game idea, and I'm hoping that feeling will stay with me until the finish the game. Smiley

Akiro: Android | IOS <3
Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2016, 07:24:46 AM »

the scariest part of making a game is the threat of dwelling on questions like this instead of actually making something

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2016, 08:17:08 AM »

the scariest part of making a game is the threat of dwelling on questions like this instead of actually making something
I'm fairly sure taking breaks and not spending every waking hour working on your game works wonder for your productivity as well as your quality of life. Wink

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2016, 09:55:06 AM »

no it is completely unacceptable to take breaks!!!!

though if you're taking a "break" and still thinking about your game that's not really a break is it?

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2016, 11:26:46 AM »

I dunno, depends on the person and whether it stresses them out, I guess.

moomat
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2016, 05:21:14 PM »

Right now the scariest part is thinking "Are we ever going to be done?" Haha. And a follow up "What do we do then?"

Check out Junk E.T. at junketgame.com

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2016, 06:34:29 AM »

i said that it isn't Healthy
Come to think of it... I am absolutely failing to get a job. Others might too. That might make people see no other way out than try to make games that sell and don't take too long to make in order just to survive. I kind of ought to do that as well. Economy has been a disaster this month.

Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2016, 02:59:38 AM »

I'm afraid I'll die before I finish my game.

Sit down and relax,
Keeping focus on your breath,
This may take a while.

eliasfrost
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2016, 04:09:51 AM »

It applies to more things than just games, creativity in general I suppose.

It's when you've worked for a long time on something and when you're in that phase where you're just doing things, like creating assets, mixing audio and things like that. It's like you have a stick with two holes in it and a whole bucket full of similarly shaped sticks, you attach two sticks to the one you have, then you attach four more and after a while you have this huge construction and start asking yourself what you're doing, no matter where you put the next stick the result feels the same and you stop caring. That's the scariest part for me. It's kind of the situation I'm in right now with my project.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic