Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:42:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeThe scariest part of making a game?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: The scariest part of making a game?  (Read 10579 times)
Jalapenosbud
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2016, 10:36:33 AM »

the scariest part for me is doing the last 10(90?)% and you suddenly lose motivation and starts to question urself whetever ur ever getting the game out, or atleast to a finished state so you have something finished to look at  Shrug

Crysball
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2016, 06:43:55 PM »

that a trivial non-relevant thing trashes your team.

or to get obssesed whith trivial details an end up spendin too much, way too much time on it Crazy
Peltast
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2016, 06:27:01 AM »

Come to think of it... I am absolutely failing to get a job. Others might too. That might make people see no other way out than try to make games that sell and don't take too long to make in order just to survive. I kind of ought to do that as well. Economy has been a disaster this month.

No you are apparently ruining the purity of making games or something.  How dare you

"being in the wrong business"...what horrible advice.  Fear of failure is normal, healthy, and probably just a sign that you aren't delusional.  Does anyone think successful developers have never feared failure?  Or experienced it?  If someone is afraid of unemployment during a recession do you just say "well you're in the wrong economy and job searching is just not for you"?  What a backwards mentality.  You work through fear, not run away from it.

Some of the best games have come from people working full time in survival mode, and I know they were afraid of failure.  Guess what, they were in the right business

EDIT: just realized this is 1+ month old :\
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 06:45:15 AM by Peltast » Logged

Superpowism
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2016, 04:38:49 AM »

I can live with people trashing my game. I can live with failure in that regard.
What truly terrifies me is the prospect of completing the game and me not being proud of it.
What if your vision never comes to pass? I mean I know that games never finish exactly how you initially envision it, but what if that core feeling you wanted to infuse into the game never made it out.

Jalapenosbud
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2016, 07:10:55 AM »

I can live with people trashing my game. I can live with failure in that regard.
What truly terrifies me is the prospect of completing the game and me not being proud of it.
What if your vision never comes to pass? I mean I know that games never finish exactly how you initially envision it, but what if that core feeling you wanted to infuse into the game never made it out.

I can relate to that so deeply.

I think its just looking at it so much, and working on it and pouring your heart and soul into it that makes you "blind" to see the final product as something new and whole. If that makes sense

mleta20
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2016, 08:58:57 AM »

I think the scariest part of making a games is working up the courage to take all of the ideas and put it into motion. That hardest step is always the first one.

A lot of people (sometimes myself too) are afraid that people won't like your game or idea, when in reality we make games because it's what we enjoy doing, not to impress others. Smiley

Champlain College Senior. Lead Producer for the game, Super Sky Mech. Check us out on Twitter.

@SuperSkyMech
CYON4D
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2016, 01:24:37 AM »

The likely possiblity of losing motivation and abandoning the whole project after all the invested time and hard work is a really unmotivating and grim thought for me.

I think when a developer gets into this loop the project will most likely end up being abandoned.
I believe this is the greatest enemy of indie games and solo developers are more vulnerable to this effect.

Macrochasm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2016, 01:03:45 PM »

For me it's waiting for feedback and realizing how little you're getting.
lil lantern
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2016, 03:40:07 PM »

In my experience, it was having a fundamental disagreement of the direction or one of the important design with your team mates on the game. When this happen, the whole project simply just got stuck.
However the good thing is, our game design team has 3 people, 3 is the magic number.We can always ask the 3rd member's preference.

JustColorado
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2016, 01:54:42 PM »

Sometimes, a little fear comes up that I am an impostor.
That I have just been faking it and I don't know what I am doing.
I am just pretending to know, and maybe I know enough to just barely get by.
But I don't really understand like I should because I am an impostor.
And there are other people much smarter than me who should be in my place.
People that know, people that have all the answers.  Real experts.

Yet I have somehow fooled everybody into thinking I am really someone
who knows what he is doing, but I am not.  And the fear will finally manifest
itself with real evidence if I won't be able to deliver whatever I said I would
deliver. 

I hate that feeling. 

Yet, it is precisely this fear that drives me.  Keeps me up all night,
to solve a problem.  And forces me to go above and beyond what others
expect of me, and what I expect of myself.

Apparently, I am not unique with these thoughts.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome

« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 02:05:21 PM by JustColorado » Logged
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2016, 06:13:10 PM »

That I have just been faking it and I don't know what I am doing.
I am just pretending to know, and maybe I know enough to just barely get by.
But I don't really understand like I should because I am an impostor.
And there are other people much smarter than me who should be in my place.
People that know, people that have all the answers.  Real experts.

Yet I have somehow fooled everybody into thinking I am really someone
who knows what he is doing, but I am not.  And the fear will finally manifest
itself with real evidence if I won't be able to deliver whatever I said I would
deliver. 

I hate that feeling. 

Yet, it is precisely this fear that drives me.  Keeps me up all night,
to solve a problem.  And forces me to go above and beyond what others
expect of me, and what I expect of myself.

Apparently, I am not unique with these thoughts.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome
I just heard about this not too long ago, or at least discovered it had a name. Apparently a work conference I'm attending is going to have a session on this and how to overcome it. Haven't decided yet whether or not I'll go to that specific session or not though.

At any rate, I hear ya'.
Shine Klevit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2016, 06:33:12 PM »

The fear that it'll turn out crap after all the effort you put into it.
randomThrowAway
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2016, 12:10:42 AM »

For me it's stumbling into an obstacle I can't clear since I don't know what I don't know or what I'm doing most of the time.

Im working on my first game two months now, doing all the things wrong; Server / Client architecture, check. Multiplayer? Well, of course. Scope, direction, planning, everything is pretty improvised, I know I'm destined to fail and yet...

I've already come farther than I'd have imagined, every single problem that came up I not only cleared, but was surprisingly easy. I see two huge problems in the future, one is balancing and the other is how the server would work with real traffic: I simulated a hundred clients as good as I can and no hiccup, but man I have no idea about the basic facts behind a lot of stuff, especially networking and performance.

One example, I was playing with a prototype for a fighting simulation and build a npc vs npc simulator for balancing (well, for fun mostly). Long story short it can simulate 100k fights in a couple of seconds wtf! I would have guessed the number to be lower by a factor of 1k.

So yeah, to move forward I have to stay confident in my future self, being fully aware all the time that my current self is ill-equipped for most tasks that are more than two weeks away.

I'm pretty sure I suffer from imposter syndrome, too, but fortunately not about coding; here I know I'm an imposter, with the only one buying the story being myself  Cheesy
skaz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2016, 08:17:48 AM »

For me it's waiting for feedback and realizing how little you're getting.

That is so true. Game are made to be played, and when you make one and nobody plays it, it feels like you lost your time and energy.

That I have just been faking it and I don't know what I am doing

This is normal, and a good sign. People tend to think they know it all when precisely they don't know shit, and suddenly you realise, with experience, how little you know of everything there is to know. That's the imposter syndrom. It only means you're lucid on the job, and you know you can't know everything.

But that's cool, I mean, you know you can't stop learning stuff! And learning is FUN.

LOST FORTRESS site! 2d action adventure exploration in an abandoned Dwarf fortress, overrun by weird slug-like creatures.
readyplaygames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: May 02, 2016, 02:10:14 PM »

Scariest part of making a game: marketing.
LNitewing
Level 0

The Insane One

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2016, 01:08:17 AM »

I have so many fears about creating a game, but the worst is probably the most unlikely.

I have fears about my creations not being liked or played, but the worse fear is that my creations become too popular and that I become famous. I'm mostly a private person and don't do really well with large crowds etc. So if somehow I create something that blows up into the next big thing, I don't know how I would deal with that. The chances of this happening are pretty low, but this fear is always in mind and is the hardest to overcome for me.
randomThrowAway
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 09, 2016, 01:13:12 AM »

In a sense that's like fearing death or going blind; nothing you can do about it now and in case it'll actually happen to you, you'll probably deal with it similarly to most people; you'll make it up as you go.

Edit: Also, people who make games don't become famous famous. I'm on this forum and designing games and I wouldn't recognize anyone from this industry on the street - this goes for easily 95%+ of the general population.

So even if you became "famous" for your game, your daily life would only become different at a level you can pretty much choose yourself (read: on parts of the internet).
LNitewing
Level 0

The Insane One

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2016, 06:36:40 AM »

I would say that personally my chances of becoming any kind of famous are pretty slim. However, I wasn't talking Hollywood-famous or something similar. Just look at what happened with Minecraft and Mr. Perrson aka Notch, he became an icon whether he liked it or not rather quickly. In the unlikely event that something I do ends up that way, that's what my main fear was about.

However, as was mentioned, if it did happen somehow, I would figure something out. Smiley
Taky
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2016, 04:22:28 AM »

Everyday loading up Steam and seeing a game just like mine there. Wakes me up at night.

Down here, it's our time.
Magnesus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 13, 2016, 11:54:14 PM »

The part when you realise what you want to do will not take a month, but instead six months. Happens too often to me.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic