Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 02:02:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeThe scariest part of making a game?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: The scariest part of making a game?  (Read 10580 times)
krides
Level 0

The Old Man and the Sea of Video Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2016, 06:28:35 AM »

I thinks it's related to what everybody else has been saying, but for me, the scariest part is releasing the game. Mostly because I believe that finishing a video game is impossible: you can keep polishing and adding things forever. But the money and the time tend run out, and, even if you're doing the game alone on your free time, it still makes sense to force a deadline on yourself. So, yeah. Abandoning a game is a tricky one. Always gets me..

I am part of the Ocelot Society.
@krides on Twitter.
Current project: Event[0].
zebbi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2016, 12:20:35 PM »

Post your opinions below.

mine would be if the game failed ultimately and everyone was trashing it
I would be surprised if I DIDN'T get this response! Lips Sealed
vaaasm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: July 03, 2016, 05:12:48 PM »

My ultimate fear is that any game I release gets caught up into some controversy or something and then ends up being remembered as problematic

mesmith
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 05, 2016, 04:30:42 PM »

I think my fear would be starting a project and over the course of time/life, the project doesn't get finished and ends up as just a folder in memory.
Blueneonkid
Level 0

PixelGon Games

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2016, 06:07:17 PM »

1)Not fully achieving my ideas/goals for the project
2)Never finishing the game
3)Making a truly awful game.
4)Some SJW twits causing a huge fuss about the game and its designs being "pwobwematic" and the game only being remembered for being triggering.
And my most personal fear:
5)Actually releasing the game out into the wild. It's like sending your firstborn child off to war.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 06:41:20 PM by Blueneonkid » Logged

Comic artist, novice animator, and developer of Halcyon.
Developer name - PixelGon.
readyplaygames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: July 19, 2016, 10:55:00 AM »

Worst feat of them all?

Dead silence when you release it.
Alessio
Level 0

Visual Artist

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 02, 2016, 07:33:48 AM »

My first concern would be not be able to program and give up everything because of limitations, lack of documentation and help.

Second, i'd fear that after a lot of effort into making a game it doesn't get as successful as i hoped. I believe anything that is well done is getting noticed someday but, sometimes, luck plays its part.
TerminusEst13
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 05, 2016, 06:54:58 PM »

The scariest part for me is just after the initial starting period, when I'm starting to actually work on things and settle on how things will play and what they do.

The initial starting period is really easy. Ideas are a dime a dozen. The problem is when it comes to implementing them, you can't put in every single idea. And for all but only a handful of them, you'll never know how they would've turned out.
Maybe an idea you thought was bad would've been the best thing. Maybe you would've stumbled across a bug that revolutionized gameplay. Maybe the ideas you're going with are just going to be a wash.

You're not picking a single thing in particular. You're eliminating hundreds of others and investing in one.
And like all investments, they can very easily backfire.

'Course, still gotta go ahead, but boy is that a FUN period of time.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 07:06:04 PM by TerminusEst13 » Logged
AlexRamallo
Level 1

:0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: August 07, 2016, 08:45:06 AM »

Worst feat of them all?

Dead silence when you release it.

Agreed.

JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 07, 2016, 09:06:02 AM »

Staring at your computer screen blankly wondering why you're not making one yet.

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
nickFromPaintteh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 08, 2016, 04:34:20 AM »

not finishing what you started
Catghost
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: August 08, 2016, 06:01:06 AM »

the scariest is probably failing on just one thing, and then having the whole project ruined because of it. I've seen so many great games flop because they didn't market them well enough, so that whole area is something I constantly worry over. The actual lack of interest/silence on release wouldn't be so bad though, if I knew I did everything I could to get people interested.
teatreegames
« Reply #92 on: August 08, 2016, 12:27:51 PM »

Failing to create something people would enjoy playing.
The Quarternion
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 14, 2016, 06:31:54 AM »

I'm a bit late to the party but I'll contribute to the ever-growing well of fears.
In my opinion the hardest part about making a game is pretty much the entire process, especially the beginning of the game. I haven't developed a game that was intended for sale (Admittedly I'm in my last year of college) but I wouldn't even dream of selling the stuff I've created.

My username is a lie, I\\\'m actually a boolean.
saluk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 25, 2016, 01:21:40 PM »

The scariest part is definitely showing it to others. If they don't like it I think that they don't like me, and I'm very much the people pleaser type who wants everyone to like him. I envy people who don't care what people think.

There is also the fact that once I show off something I'm working on, I lose a little bit of control of it. Once other people can comment on it, they might change my vision. Sure, it might actually steer the project onto a better path, but that loss of control can be scary.

It's important to face your fears. I'm trying to bring others into my process a bit more lately, it is hard to do everything on your own. In actually trying to release something for the first time, I have found there are benefits to getting feedback, and working to a deadline. It's stressful, but I am looking forward to how my skills grow in these areas.

Terrytheplatypus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 28, 2016, 07:52:34 AM »

the realization that i've spent hours working on something that sucks and that i would've been better exercising or something, but realizing that if i don't finish i will feel like even more of a failure
Bauxite
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: September 02, 2016, 05:22:42 AM »

I thought it would be very original to post "releasing/posting about it" but apparently I'm not alone in this regard.

the realization that i've spent hours working on something that sucks and that i would've been better exercising or something, but realizing that if i don't finish i will feel like even more of a failure
Even if you never release the game or it turns out a failure, that doesn't always mean you wasted your time. Gamedev is a process which gives you many valuable skills in a wide range of artistic yet practical fields, and any future projects will probably sail along much better.

▶  Current project: The Zipper (Devblog)  ◀
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic