Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:11:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDying Ember [Isometric Dark Souls like - GAMEPLAY TRAILER]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Dying Ember [Isometric Dark Souls like - GAMEPLAY TRAILER]  (Read 22385 times)
dyingember
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2016, 02:13:48 PM »

Dying Ember

Dying Ember is an isometric Dark Souls like game featuring painted 2D backgrounds and 3D characters.

The game will follow a similar gameplay and story style to Dark Souls,  featuring brutally difficult gameplay, epic bosses, and rich lore with minimal exposition. The combat is real-time but requires careful timing and an understanding of your weapons moveset and an enemy's moveset to succeed.

Lore

The sun has gone black and humans suspect a race of powerful creatures that live deep underground are responsible. They send a living weapon down to find out who is responsible and kill them.

Gameplay

The world of Dying Ember is a set of interconnected levels that all branch off of a central hub. Each time the player character dies, the humans drop down another. If you wish to retrieve lost items from your previous run you now need to face off against a reprogrammed version of your earlier self.

The humans above do send you with items and weapons, however. Defeating enemies and bosses gives you the knowledge and materials you need to make the next generation weapon stronger. As you defeat enemies you gather crafting materials that allow you to upgrade the next model's armor or create new weapons. Defeating bosses teaches you how to make new weapons and abilities.

Resting at the hub allows you to upgrade your weapons or armor, or change out your equipped weapon or ability. The humans hoist it you up and throw down another when you've made up your mind.

In combat your character has the ability to perform 6 actions:
1) Weak or strong attack with her selected weapon selected at the central hub
2) Shoot an arrow from her bow
3) Heal herself
4) Use her special ability she has selected at the central hub
5) Dash
6) Create a temporary energy shield

Each weapon has a unique move-set, speed, and strength. A hammer is slow and strong, and very stamina draining, but it's strong attack will knock many common enemies on their ass. A katana is quick and fast, but not very strong.

Special abilities include the ability to temporarily enchant your weapon, buff your armor, heal yourself instantly, give yourself temporary HP regen, and more. You only bring one special ability into battle with you, and you have a limited number of uses. Each time you die, the new version of you comes restocked.

Healing and dashing work pretty much as you'd expect. The shield drains your stamina in ~1-2 seconds. It blocks 100% of damage during this time, but staggers the character for a brief window while doing so. The shield can be powerful, but can also leave you wide open. You have to know when it's appropriate to use it.

I'll continue to post things both technical and non-technical here. Dying Ember has been in development for about 1.5 years, but it's current incarnation has really only been in development since about March 2015. Before that it was a 2.5D side scroller.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/piratevninja
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 08:43:54 PM by dyingember » Logged
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 02:21:01 PM »

I really like the vibe and the art. Do you have an estimate on when you're gonna release it?

dyingember
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 02:23:05 PM »

I really like the vibe and the art. Do you have an estimate on when you're gonna release it?

Thank you! We have a goal of Q4 2016, but I wouldn't be surprised if this slips to Q1 2017.
sidbarnhoorn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 02:41:42 PM »

This looks very good. Looking forward to seeing it develop further! :-)

Siddhartha Barnhoorn
--------------------
Award winning composer

Composed music for the games Antichamber, Out There, The Stanley Parable, Planet Alpha...

http://www.sidbarnhoorn.com
Bandcamp:
https://siddharthabarnhoorn.bandcamp.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/SidBarnhoorn
dyingember
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 05:45:30 AM »

Thanks to a reddit comment I noticed I was missing two of 8 directions for running (left and right, d'oh!) Adding them in reduced sliding when locked on significantly:

dyingember
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 05:39:09 PM »

Work has begun on making the second boss fight of the game (second both in terms of the second we'e made and the second you will encounter. The first boss we made is the 4th you will encounter).

So far we have the model done and rigged. Working on animations now:

dyingember
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 06:44:38 PM »

Started work today on this map, the entrance to the third level of the game, but locked to you from the start

dyingember
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 05:44:27 AM »

Some work on a completely different level. This is inside a palace and will be the second level of the game. We're creating a series of empty rooms we can reuse and populate with props.

dyingember
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 07:02:14 PM »

Back to our dual swordsman (who has yet to be named)

We have an idle and a run. He will be very, very fast:

dyingember
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 01:24:56 PM »

In the game you have 1 ability you can select at spawn to go with you into battle. Each ability has a limited number of uses before it runs out. The abilities thus far are focused on modifying your weapon, armor, health, stamina etc.

Here's what it looks like when you have an ability activated that effects your weapon:

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 04:51:58 PM »

Hey, nice! I like a lot of the in game systems you've described so far (combat, weapons upgrades, etc). Also like the concept art you've got going on - looking forward to seeing more of this!

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
dyingember
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2016, 12:03:01 PM »

Hey, nice! I like a lot of the in game systems you've described so far (combat, weapons upgrades, etc). Also like the concept art you've got going on - looking forward to seeing more of this!

Thanks!

Last night I worked on finishing destructibles in the environment. I had previously worked on them, but had some issues with pathfinding I had to work out.

Here's a tiny GIF (since it's long) and a link to a video:

Full Res: https://gfycat.com/NauticalImmaculateEuropeanpolecat
thomasmahler
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2016, 07:30:14 AM »

That's cool, can't wait to see what you guys are doing.

I've been dabbling around with a similar prototype:

, simply cause I'd LOOOOOVE to play a Dark Souls'ish game from top down with multiple friends.

Are you guys making this in Unity?

dyingember
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2016, 12:35:05 PM »

Very cool! I actually just got weapon trails working earlier today. I noticed some nice ones in your demo Smiley

thomasmahler
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2016, 01:18:10 PM »

Love it, yours looks way better than my shitty test Smiley

Are you guys also planning to add more traditional puzzles? I've recently been working on a few level designs and I think some Zelda'ish puzzles fit that kinda style of game incredibly well since you can then, for example with pressure plates, direct where the player has to go in order to advance.

dyingember
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2016, 06:18:27 PM »

Are you guys also planning to add more traditional puzzles? I've recently been working on a few level designs and I think some Zelda'ish puzzles fit that kinda style of game incredibly well since you can then, for example with pressure plates, direct where the player has to go in order to advance.

No puzzles in the game, in that sense, no. There will be rewards for exploration, and there won't be any kind of mini map or quest marker, so to some extent the game still makes you think, just not in a puzzle sense.

Oh, and we're making it in Unreal, forgot to answer that last time!
Davi Vasc
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2016, 09:08:19 AM »

Looks awesome! Love the 2d backgrounds Smiley

Davi Vasc - Video Game Composer
Twitter: https://twitter.com/VascMusic
dyingember
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2016, 07:37:24 AM »

Looks awesome! Love the 2d backgrounds Smiley

Thank you!

Last night I worked on getting the player character to have offensive and defensive spells. Previously they only had buff spells and enemies had offensive and defensive, but I thought it would be good to give the player more options while player.

So far I've made three spells for the player. Here's my favorite:

brantkings
Level 0

I like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2016, 08:59:28 AM »

This is sensational! I really liked the main character's design. Subscribing.

How you guys are planning to be the optimal controller for the game? With the mouse/keyboard or with a gamepad?

dyingember
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2016, 01:22:00 PM »

This is sensational! I really liked the main character's design. Subscribing.

How you guys are planning to be the optimal controller for the game? With the mouse/keyboard or with a gamepad?

We'll have support for both but ideal is controller. Since mouse click movement doesn't make sense for this style combat, the controller offers 360 degrees of movement compared to WASD. We experimented with mouse driven movement combined with WASD but it wasn't a good fit.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic