Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 23, 2024, 10:55:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs⍟ Starkid Fighters ⍟
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: ⍟ Starkid Fighters ⍟  (Read 7072 times)
_bm
Level 2

i'm so confused

View Profile WWW
« on: January 02, 2016, 04:16:21 PM »

Current Version: Pre-Alpha 1.1.0

Hand Point Right Latest Post Hand Point Left

STARKID FIGHTERS is a fast-paced 3D vectorial shooter in cyberspace.
You'll be able to fight friends, rocks, blocks, AI ships, big scary things, all while blasting through the stars at super high speeds.
Made in Unity 5. (Which I've just started using)
Original music/sound design by Spiderpeace.

You can play it on GameJolt
Or on Itch.io
Or on IndieDB

It looks like this:

Currently the game is in a very early state, there is one incomplete gamemode, four enemy types, and three ship classes.
I'll be posting here when I have significant developments to share!

« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 09:29:00 PM by _bm » Logged

_bm
Level 2

i'm so confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 05:04:51 PM »

Made a temporary icon:

sidbarnhoorn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 05:09:57 PM »

Cool! :-)

Siddhartha Barnhoorn
--------------------
Award winning composer

Composed music for the games Antichamber, Out There, The Stanley Parable, Planet Alpha...

http://www.sidbarnhoorn.com
Bandcamp:
https://siddharthabarnhoorn.bandcamp.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/SidBarnhoorn
_bm
Level 2

i'm so confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 05:25:36 PM »

Here's a video of Starkid:

Cool! :-)

Thanks!

_bm
Level 2

i'm so confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 11:31:59 PM »

Added a big ring because I can, and it looks pretty cool.

_bm
Level 2

i'm so confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 12:52:54 AM »

Added a basic menu. (It's animated too!)

_bm
Level 2

i'm so confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 11:23:06 AM »

Added an energy and armor system, plus the ability to choose between three different classes of ship.

All actions you take with your ship draw from energy. Firing, thrust, boosting, etc. Each class has different max energy and energy recharge rate.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 04:28:24 PM »

Love the minimalism and vector style Smiley

benjkers
Level 0

digging for precious games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 05:40:08 PM »

Good sense of space and inertia. Vectors and abstraction looking slick.

_bm
Level 2

i'm so confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 10:43:41 PM »

A couple major issues have cropped up including pink materials in OSX and WebGL builds:

And a Unity bug regarding particles causing an absurd amount of these errors:
(I literally just have to wait for the Unity 5.3.1p1 update for a fix)
(Nevermind, just found the patch)

Love the minimalism and vector style Smiley

Thanks!

Good sense of space and inertia. Vectors and abstraction looking slick.

Yeah, really going for the big n' open feel, along with the fast n' agile feel.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 10:48:50 PM by Lemoncreme » Logged

Spiderpeace
TIGBaby

I make music and design games n stuff.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 11:49:26 AM »

Hi, I'm Noah (or Spiderpeace) - Ben's partner in game-developing crime.  Beer!
I actually suck at coding so i'm more of an 'ideas man', though my main job is making music and SFX.

We've brainstormed a couple of ideas for how the audio will work in this game, and we've settled on the idea that all sound effects will be partly musical, and fit with the game's soundtrack. This means the sounds for the lasers and boosting won't make your ears bleed after playing for more than an hour, and will add to the fast-paced beat of the soundtrack itself.

PS. the only soundtrack for the game so far is called 'Starchild'. I know, cool as hell right?

_bm
Level 2

i'm so confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 07:20:47 PM »

New video! Fixed the pink shader issue. (I'd rather not admit how)

_bm
Level 2

i'm so confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2016, 09:18:47 PM »

Asteroids now have physics properties. You can shoot them and run into them. Firing at them too much will result in them breaking into pieces, like so:

(I'll upload a video of this when I have some other things to show in addition Tongue)

Minor changes include the HUD now being Cyan colored, a new graphics setting (all it does at the moment is add motion blur), native screenshots and a couple other things. I also made a working WebGL build which I might slap onto this topic for you all to test out.

Next I need to work on getting the first enemy into the game: The Lemming.

_bm
Level 2

i'm so confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2016, 08:51:59 AM »

I decided to model an energy pickup.

The tesseract-esque pickup box will hold other types of helpful things as well. These will appear in the waves gamemode. They'll refill your energy to double your max energy.

_bm
Level 2

i'm so confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2016, 11:47:15 PM »

I've added an assortment of new elements to the game! It's actually kind of a game now.

First of all, the Lemmings, the very first enemies to be added to Starkid Fighters. I stress tested with 200 Lemmings, which worked perfectly well. This is the result:

Lemmings are slow, stupid, weak and pretty damn hilarious. They move at a speed of 40. In comparison, the Raptor class moves at a speed of 75, and boosts at a speed of 1000, so it's easy to outrun them, even in a Turtle class. Lemmings have a mere 5 health, making them easy to destroy individually. I also increased their hitboxes so that they are easier to hit at a distance. (And believe me, you can put a fair few miles between you and them) The movement of Lemmings is about as simple as it gets. They slowly move to face the player and fly directly at you. Their only weapon is themselves, so all they have to do to damage you is fly directly into you. With such a huge area to fly around in, it's really easy to dodge them, even when there are literally 200 of them.

Next on the agenda is the player damage system. Basically, if you get hit, there's a ~30% chance that you will lose a shield point. Getting hit also damages whatever ran into you (in this case, Lemmings) and pushes you away. If you lose all shield points, this happens:

After losing all your shield points, a couple things happen:
1. Your energy recharge rate is reduced to 5 E/sec, making it difficult to even move. (Normal recharge is 10 or more, depending on ship class)
2. Getting hit now takes hits to your energy. 300 E per hit.

These two things combined makes it very easy to get killed after getting your shield stripped. Yep, and there's even a death screen:

That's all until next time! Expect some sort of new video soon-ish. Maybe. ;)

ashtonmorris
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2016, 03:33:00 PM »

Looks cool. I like the out of focus and in focus look of the lines.

Also the musical sfx idea would sound great!

Ashton Morris - Composer & Sound Designer

Roah * Bomblsinger * Goliath * Wings of Vi * Lemma * Bit Heroes * Star Command Galaxies

http://www.ashtonmorris.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ashtonmorris
chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2016, 05:30:01 PM »

I like the retro style!

Do you think it would be possible to have quads instead of tris on the wireframes(basically removing the diagonal lines going across the squares)? It feels a bit messy looking at the objects from far away with those "extra" lines in there. Only my subjective opinion of course Smiley

_bm
Level 2

i'm so confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2016, 05:22:58 PM »

Looks cool. I like the out of focus and in focus look of the lines.

Also the musical sfx idea would sound great!

Thanks! That effect is achieved through blurring in the Chromatic Aberration shader in Unity standard assets. Pretty fun stuff.

I like the retro style!

Do you think it would be possible to have quads instead of tris on the wireframes(basically removing the diagonal lines going across the squares)? It feels a bit messy looking at the objects from far away with those "extra" lines in there. Only my subjective opinion of course Smiley

Actually, it's funny you mention that because I totally agree. However, I can't seem to get that to work. I'm modeling in quads, exporting to Unity through Maya using Quads, and checking the box in Unity to keep Quads, but either the models don't wireframe as quads or aren't importing quads at all and I'm missing something in Maya. I'll have to mess around with it some more.

While I'm here I might as well mention why it's been a bit since I've posted. I've gotten back into my music making mood, and have been doing that and generally wasting time. I kind of hit a point of frustration in development trying to get a good behaviour for the second enemy type, the Fish. I want to give them a more intelligent movement pattern where they both follow the ship but avoid each other so that they aren't grouping and therefore easier to kill. I'll figure it out eventually, I'm sure.  Smiley

chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2016, 06:30:37 PM »

I see. I honestly don't know the solution but I think(someone correct me if I am wrong) Unity turns everything into tris during runtime no matter what state the original models are.

Perhaps its something that can be solved with a special wireframe shader? Just a random guess. I don't really know what I am talking about here. Just throwing it out there.

Good luck though! Game looks sweet Smiley

_bm
Level 2

i'm so confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2016, 09:32:06 PM »

I see. I honestly don't know the solution but I think(someone correct me if I am wrong) Unity turns everything into tris during runtime no matter what state the original models are.

Perhaps its something that can be solved with a special wireframe shader? Just a random guess. I don't really know what I am talking about here. Just throwing it out there.

Good luck though! Game looks sweet Smiley

I'll look into the turning everything into triangles at runtime, but it seems they are in triangles in the editor as well.

Yeah I'm not entirely sure how to tweak the wireframe shader to fit my purposes (got it from the asset store because I didn't feel like doing it myself, turned out to be complicated as hell)

Thanks again!

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic