Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 06:18:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs⍟ Starkid Fighters ⍟
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: ⍟ Starkid Fighters ⍟  (Read 7079 times)
_bm
Level 2

i'm so confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2016, 12:14:24 PM »

The new enemy type, Fish, is more or less complete!
The Fish will, unlike the Lemming, 'swim' very quickly around the player, instead of crashing right into you. This makes them much harder to hit but much less dangerous.

Also, as you can see, I changed the HUD font to an LCD-looking one. Not sure if I like it yet... thoughts?
Anyways, I still need to get the models to use quads (pretty sure it's the wireframe generator that is turning them into triangles) and make music and sound settings.

Maybe a build soon... maybe.

EDIT: Oh yeah and the game crashes sometimes due to the player object deleting itself for no apparent reason. Hmm.

zaywolfe
Level 0

Don't let the little fuckers generation gap you.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2016, 12:36:10 PM »

I see. I honestly don't know the solution but I think(someone correct me if I am wrong) Unity turns everything into tris during runtime no matter what state the original models are.

Perhaps its something that can be solved with a special wireframe shader? Just a random guess. I don't really know what I am talking about here. Just throwing it out there.

Good luck though! Game looks sweet Smiley

I'll look into the turning everything into triangles at runtime, but it seems they are in triangles in the editor as well.

Yeah I'm not entirely sure how to tweak the wireframe shader to fit my purposes (got it from the asset store because I didn't feel like doing it myself, turned out to be complicated as hell)

Thanks again!

What I ended up doing in my game to get the wireframes I wanted was to just use the uv layout itself as a texture.

GalaethGames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2016, 01:28:33 PM »

I think the HUD is much better.  The different colour means it looks like it won't distract or get mixed in with the white in the game, and the LCD style works.

_bm
Level 2

i'm so confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2016, 01:44:54 PM »

What I ended up doing in my game to get the wireframes I wanted was to just use the uv layout itself as a texture.

Ah, yes, thanks for the tip, but there are a few reasons I decided not to go that route:
* Too much work... I like things being done looking nicely with as little work as possible, the way I'm doing now requires barely any extra work, while doing that would require UV mapping, importing textures, etc.
* I already payed 25 bucks to get this wireframe shader asset, I'm not dumping that now
* Textures of course take up extra space, I like to be minimal

Shrug

I think the HUD is much better.  The different colour means it looks like it won't distract or get mixed in with the white in the game, and the LCD style works.

Thanks! Yeah, I really wanted the HUD to look like some sort of retro display, this seemed like a good way to do it.

voltaicore
Level 0

Audio engineer who also produces eclectic tunes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2016, 09:17:17 PM »

If you guys need an audio engineer or an audio producer message me so we can figure something out

-Keith
_bm
Level 2

i'm so confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2016, 10:03:15 PM »

If you guys need an audio engineer or an audio producer message me so we can figure something out

Second time we've been asked, actually.
Noah is doing all that audio/music stuff, so thanks for the offer but we have it more than covered.

In other news, here's the new new icon:

And I added a very minimal score system with something called CHPs:

CHPs is meant to stand for Chips, or something. It'll be a currency later on to purchase ship upgrades in waves mode.
Lemmings give +10 CHPs while Fish give +20 CHPs. Values not anywhere in the vicinity of final.  Tongue

I think that about wraps it up for today, I think. Goodnight.

louiscroquet
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2016, 09:19:30 AM »

I like the style of your game (the ring is a cool idea, especially for the Halo fan I am Wink ). I don't really know what you have planned for the gameplay but I hope it will be frenetic and fast Smiley
Your LCD UI is clever and looks really good so keep pushing in this direction (use it in the main menu too! )
_bm
Level 2

i'm so confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2016, 12:11:11 PM »

I like the style of your game (the ring is a cool idea, especially for the Halo fan I am Wink ). I don't really know what you have planned for the gameplay but I hope it will be frenetic and fast Smiley
Your LCD UI is clever and looks really good so keep pushing in this direction (use it in the main menu too! )

Thanks! Yeah, you're right, I haven't really gone over the gameplay plans here. The gamemodes I have currently planned are:

* Singleplayer Waves - Pretty self-explanatory, basically you'll fight waves of enemies that get progressively more difficult and interesting. You'll be able to upgrade your ship after each round, pretty standard. The waves will be randomly constructed, along with the map and the upgrades that will be available will be randomly chosen each wave. Should make for a lot of replayability.

* Multiplayer Deathmatch - Networked multiplayer (I'm decent with networking so this shouldn't be too difficult to implement) with 8ish players facing off against each other. This will expand later on to support rank and those kind of standard things in competitive multiplayer. They'll be a last man standing type mode, a first to 20 kills, etc.

* Singleplayer Deathmatch - Just like the above, except with AI ships instead of actual players. Should be a decent way to practice for multiplayer deathmatch.

There are a handful of other planned things that I'm keeping secret for now.  Wink

As for the LCD font in the main menu... I'm not so sure. I'll change the font temporarily and see what I and everybody here thinks.

_bm
Level 2

i'm so confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2016, 11:10:21 PM »

Another update!

Today I worked a bit on the GUI, adding a section to the left and changing the titles. Eventually, there will be a smaller bit on the right where events are shown for Waves mode. I'll get into that next time, though.

and control config:

I also added a toggle in the menu for music, and fixed an issue with the asteroids not breaking up.

As for a build, which I've mentioned a few times, that'll probably happen when the Waves gamemode is sort of functional. I'll be putting the game on GameJolt, and eventually I'll do some GameJolt integration in Starkid. (Scoreboards, achievements, things like that)

Here's an extra screenshot for you peeps:

jfosa
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2016, 12:12:14 AM »

This is looking really cool.  I gotta say I'm dying to see the 'interior' view outfitted with side and rear cameras as well.. Smiley

_bm
Level 2

i'm so confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2016, 08:21:50 AM »

This is looking really cool.  I gotta say I'm dying to see the 'interior' view outfitted with side and rear cameras as well.. Smiley

Thanks!

It's funny you mention that, because there will be a gamemode where two people will control the same ship, in a way. You'll be able to see the entirety of the interior of the ship from any angle you please!  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 08:31:46 AM by _bm » Logged

_bm
Level 2

i'm so confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2016, 10:48:23 PM »

Heyyyy. Sorry for being absent once again, I got really addicted to Space Engine. Check it out!
Anyways, I've added some interesting bits to Starkid today. There is a now a functioning Waves gamemode. The first gamemode at all, that is.

As you can see, there is an Event Log instead of Diagnostics. This, as you can probably deduce, is for "events" in Waves mode. New waves are all it shows right now, but later on random events will occur during a wave that will show up there. You can still display Diagnostics by pressing F (rebindable):

...which now shows the number of enemies left, which is important because the wave ends after all enemies are destroyed.

Oh! I keep forgetting to mention Rolling and Side Thrust. You can roll by pressing Q and E, and lean by pressing A and D. Side Thrust is basically strafing,  so it makes it easy to circle around groups of enemies while facing them. Rolling lets you roll the orientation of your ship, which is not just really fun but allows you to make agile runs through enemies. It'll probably end up being more useful later for quick dodging.

You'll get to see all this (and more, hopefully) in video form soon. Promise.  Smiley

_bm
Level 2

i'm so confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2016, 12:22:05 AM »

I've been working on Waves a lot. This is what it (sometimes) looks like:

Changes include:
* New enemy: Hummingbird - big, really good at dodging bullets
* Game border (size randomized per wave)
* The menu looks betterer
* Cool between-wave animations that are super disorienting (to be honest this whole game is very disorienting)
* Many other things are randomized per wave, I even wrote a generic method in C# for weighted random values:

Code:
    public static T ChooseWeight<T>(params KeyValuePair<T, float>[] array)
    {
        while(true)
        {
            var next = array[Random.Range(0, array.Length)];
            if (Random.Range(0f, 1f) < next.Value)
                return next.Key;
        }
    }

There are a few others things too. I'll try and put out a video tomorrow, possibly. Maybe I'll set up the GameJolt page? Who knows. Goodnight.

_bm
Level 2

i'm so confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2016, 11:16:35 PM »

Finally, a release! You can play Starkid Fighters Pre-Alpha 1.0 on GameJolt for Windows, OSX or in your browser.

I've edited a new video, just have to upload it now. Goodnight!  Yawn

TankDuck
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2016, 03:46:51 AM »

Hey dude

Couldn't get it to work using html5, hit 'Waves' saw a bit of the game, then it went black and I got a message from Chrome. heres a pic

Goodluck though, looks cool. Are you using Vectrosity for your line rendering?

_bm
Level 2

i'm so confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2016, 06:21:07 AM »

Hey dude

Couldn't get it to work using html5, hit 'Waves' saw a bit of the game, then it went black and I got a message from Chrome. heres a pic

Goodluck though, looks cool. Are you using Vectrosity for your line rendering?

Hmm yeah the HTML5 version doesn't even work for me, so I suggest just ditching it and downloading the game.
I'm actually using The Amazing Wireframe Shader for the vectorial look, works pretty well for me. Although, maybe later on I'll try Vectrosity, but I'm not really looking to spend any more money on assets at the moment.  Grin

_bm
Level 2

i'm so confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2016, 11:30:36 AM »

Here it is, an updated video!

_bm
Level 2

i'm so confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2016, 09:28:35 PM »

Update 1

So me and Noah have been trying to debug Starkid Fighters. Anyone who has played the game knows about the nasty freezing bug. We've tried just about everything. I thought I'd fixed it when I applied a patch to Unity, but it looks like that didn't help. Unity Answers still hasn't moderated my question about it, so that's still fruitless. I'm sure we'll get it eventually...

Anyways, here are the latest changes:

• New separate menu for options in the menu.
 • New wave types. (Oooh, secrets!)
 • You now regain all shield units after completing a round.
 • Tweaked boost mechanic.

And the obligatory screeny:

_bm
Level 2

i'm so confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2016, 08:03:50 AM »

Update 2

Sorry for the long absence, things got really busy and a few days ago when I started working on the game again I got caught up in getting things done rather than updating this page.
Anyways, I have gotten a lot done. Here's the current changelog for Pre-Alpha 1.1.0:

Pre-Alpha 1.1.0

* Added shield regeneration after wave completion
   * Added a few special wave types (more to come!)
   * Added separate options menu
   * Added energy bar on HUD
   * Added control guide in menu
   * Added new menu animations
   * Added shield icon bar on HUD
   * Added engine sound
   * Added energy and shield pickups, which can be found in asteroids or at level start
   * Added "energy overcharging", where it is possible to get over your max energy using pickups
   * Added new enemy type: Lizard
   * Changed the way boosts work (now velocity change is instantaneous, all boosts for all classes are the same speeds but each has a cool down of one second)
   * Changed room size parameters (no more massive rooms)
   * Changed the player ship model while in first person
   * Fixed crashing/freezing bug

So lots of new things and finally a fix to the annoying freezing bug. Here are some screenshots showing off the new things:

I'll be updating the GameJolt page when the website actually starts working again. Heh.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 08:10:34 AM by _bm » Logged

_bm
Level 2

i'm so confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2016, 10:51:37 PM »

Pre-Alpha 1.1.0 Release

The update is finished! You can play it here.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic