Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411503 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:46:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs⍟ Starkid Fighters ⍟
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: ⍟ Starkid Fighters ⍟  (Read 7076 times)
_bm
Level 2

i'm so confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2016, 08:51:03 AM »

Update 3

Alright, with the update out I've done some thinking about what I want to next version to look like.

Here are my current goals for 1.2.0:
  • At least three types of secondary weapons (one per ship class)
  • A shop menu between waves
  • At least three more enemy types
  • GameJolt integration (scoreboard)
  • Enemy indicators (little red circles and arrows showing where enemies are)

And here are the models for two of the secondary weapons (third one is secret for now :D)

I'll have another video out after I implement some of these things. Stay tuned!

_bm
Level 2

i'm so confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2016, 11:44:07 PM »

Update 4

Today I wrote a better class for handling assets:

Code:
public static class Resource
{
    private static bool loaded = false;

private static Dictionary<string, AudioClip> rAudio;
    private static Dictionary<string, Mesh> rModels;
    private static Dictionary<string, Object> rPrefabs;

public static AudioClip sound(string name)
    {
        return rAudio[name];
    }
    public static Mesh model(string name)
    {
        return rModels[name];
    }
    public static Mesh wireModel(string name)
    {
        var n = rModels[name];
        return WireframeGenerator.Generate(ref n, WIRE_INSIDE.Color);
    }
    public static Object prefab(string name)
    {
        return rPrefabs[name];
    }

public static void LoadAll()
    {
        if (!loaded)
        {
            //Audio
            var tAudio = Resources.LoadAll<AudioClip>("rAudio");
            foreach (AudioClip item in tAudio)
            {
                rAudio.Add(item.name, item);
            }

//Models
            var tModels = Resources.LoadAll<Mesh>("rModels");
            foreach (Mesh item in tModels)
            {
                rModels.Add(item.name, item);
            }

//Prefabs
            var tPrefabs = Resources.LoadAll<Object>("rPrefabs");
            foreach (Object item in tPrefabs)
            {
                rPrefabs.Add(item.name, item);
            }

loaded = true;
        }
    }
}

This works for pretty much any project I'd say, it just requires that you have folders in your \Resources called "rAudio", "rModels", and "rPrefabs" with appropriately typed assets in them. Use if you want.
 Coffee
Oh yeah and I guess the wireModel() method is only useful if you use the wireframe thing I use. Just ignore that I guess.

I've also mostly implemented the bomb secondary weapon:

Here's it's trail:

And the awe-inspiring explosion:

(I think I might add some sort of expanding wireframe sphere to explosion effect to keep in theme...)

So, there you go. The first secondary weapon! The bomb works like this: you fire it, it has momentum but eventually slows down. After two seconds it blows up, or if it hits a target. The closer enemies are, the more damage they take. The maximum damage from an indirect hit is 50, and a direct hit is 100. Most of the time, though, enemies are hit with less than 10 damage due to the way it attenuates. The explosion also acts as force on all rigid bodies, pushing them away. Including you!

Oh yeah, I also did this little experiment:

Anyways, tomorrow I'll work on the next secondary weapon, a kind of guided rocket. It'll be the Raptor Class default secondary. Stay tuned for that!

_bm
Level 2

i'm so confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2016, 11:29:34 PM »

Update 5

Today I implemented these little radial cooldown HUD items to signify the cooldown of the boost and the secondary weapon:

The symbols on top of the circles turn bright white when you they are recharged and you have the energy to use them, so you always know if you can boost / use your bomb.

That's all for now. Tongue

_bm
Level 2

i'm so confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2016, 11:07:30 PM »

Update 6

Hey there. I've added in the next secondary weapon: The Guided Rocket.

This is the default secondary weapon for the Raptor Class, as you can see. The rockets lock on to close targets and fly towards them exploding if they hit their target or after 2 seconds. The cooldown for this weapon is half a second and it uses 250 E.

Noah has also done a bunch of fantastic sound effect work, including a new firing sound! (You'll definitely hear the improvement)

Aside from that, I've also added some text that appears in the center of your view when something interesting happens:

Now I'm off to go work on the third secondary weapon, then upgrades between waves. Seeya then!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 11:27:52 PM by _bm » Logged

_bm
Level 2

i'm so confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2016, 09:27:00 PM »

Update 7

Heyo. It's been... a while. Sorry for being silent, I've been busy with things. Anyways...
Today I've been working on implementing the secondary weapon for the Turtle class:

It doesn't look like much, but basically it's a large beam that decimates anything in its path. Although it causes a lot of damage, it takes a lot of energy to fire and has quite a long cooldown time.

That's all for now, I'll post more news when I have it!

_bm
Level 2

i'm so confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2016, 09:00:57 AM »

Right, this isn't an update. I just need to write out my 'plan' for how waves will be structured in Waves Mode.

Enemy Type Introduction
New enemy types will start spawning at defined stages. For the first few, the same types will be added at certain stages every time you play Waves.
Stage 2 +Fish
Stage 4 +Hummingbird
Stage 7 +Lizard

Enemy Spawning Rates
What needs to happen here is that enemies need to spawn less when new types are introduced to help the player get used to them. Gradually after new types start spawning, the others will spawn as well and the new ones will spawn more numerously.

Anatomy of a Wave
As of right now, waves are very unstructured. I aim to create structure by formatting enemy spawning in a more cohesive manner.
Lemmings must spawn in large groups, Fish scattered around, Hummingbirds less frequently, and Lizards much less frequently.

Enemy Toughness
Enemies are fairly easy to kill right now. I'm planning on heavily tweaking the amount of health they have to make them more challenging to kill. Lemmings (and future enemy types that "group") will spawn in much larger numbers and closer to each other.

Arena Size
The sizing of arenas right now makes no sense. Most of the time you feel like there's far too much space, which gives you no reason to practice dodging.
From now on, arenas will be much smaller.
The issue I foresee with this is that the Lizard type enemy, which can fire at the player, will be impossible to out-maneuver. I'll tweak some things to try and solve this.

I guess that's all for now. I'll start implementing this shit right away.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 09:20:38 AM by _bm » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic