Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:29:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignHow do you make your 3D spaces?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How do you make your 3D spaces?  (Read 927 times)
Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2016, 11:01:50 PM »

Hello, so I've got the basic mechanics of my game fully functioning and now I'm turning my attention to making a level design workflow. I feel like I've lost my "touch", so to speak, when it comes to level design. I come from the Source Hammer Editor class of level design, lots of blocks. I wasn't particularly good at making levels then either.

Anyways, I guess I'm asking what workflow do you use? I never get far beyond connecting square boxes with hallways and my 2D top-down designs don't mitigate that problem. I just feel like I may be locking myself into the scope of what I think my game should look like instead of experimenting and coming up with something interesting. I've been looking at stuff like TrenchBroom and I love it but there's so many hoops to jump through to port a .map to something Unity can open. I have so much love for those old low poly bsp levels from the Quake engine era. I look at them and it's just architecture genius. I also get stuck thinking too much about the scale of everything. Probably a Source habit, everything needs to be a power of two etc. I'm not great at environment art in general, it's always a struggle to use 3Ds Max.

I just can't come up with any location idea or how to connect them in a realistic way. I remember having a bunch of ideas but I've forgotten them. I'm basically taking off of stuff like Crypt World and Bernband and Hernhand and Burrito Galaxy 65. In that it's supposed to be a big sprawling world with lots of singleton stuff in each scene, interesting dream-like architecture. And I feel like modern game engines just don't have the level design tools to accommodate making these worlds easily, but that's clearly false since all four of those games use the same engine I do. I want to make spaces that evoke feelings.

So uh, how do you be creative again?

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 09:41:04 AM »

This book might give you some ideas and inspiration. I'm halfway through reading it and it's been pretty good so far.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic