Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 09:11:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesI want to make a toy game, post suggestions for fun
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: I want to make a toy game, post suggestions for fun  (Read 862 times)
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2016, 04:59:26 PM »

I want to program a game but without the whole pressure of making some ground breaking new indie famous AAA blockbuster thingie, so I'll just make a kind of toy game, like kind of like Tamagotchi. I need ideas though, so if you can think of something, please post the idea here. I'm thinking of something like a low-level management thing or an idle game, maybe both. basically something I can make without any pressure.

Edit: this is a short term project. I'm not gonna spend a lot of time on this, I just have a programming itch to scratch.

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 05:29:24 PM »

cookie eater

it's a cross between cookie clicker and tamagotchi, you have to feed the cookie monster

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 05:41:37 PM »

The cookie idea isn't bad, I could do a thing where you need to indirectly direct a virtual creature of some sort to do certain things and you encourage it with cookies.

I'd probably have to mess with neural networks though, which is something I've been meaning to do anyways, so maybe.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 01:55:33 PM »

Bump:

Should I make this a devlog?

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 03:46:11 PM »

yes if it involves cookie monster
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 10:28:03 AM »

When I look at early access games on Steam, time and time again, I feel like user experience is devalued over game idea / direction.

I dunno. I think to make a fun toy, you just have to make a game or software that has a lot of player feedback. Players want to feel like they're doing something. Sometimes that's a slow build up (Total War), or a moderate one (Minecraft) or a really simplistic buildup (Meat Boy), but they want to see reactions to their actions.
The only issue is going over-the-top and breaking the fourth wall of versimilitude. You don't want fireworks for pressing a jump button.
/ or maybe.... you do :|

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 01:23:06 PM »

Good point. I remember reading an article about Nintendo getting a bunch of toys to mess with during Mario Maker's dev cycle so that they could have a greater variety of interactions in their games. I'll look into that sort of thing tonight.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 01:43:48 PM »

nintendo in general is all about great user experience. with mario 64 for instance, they spent a shitload of time just polishing the controls to the utmost before they even designed any levels.

sorry for tangent, carry on.
valrus
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 06:43:29 PM »

Virtual pet with a recurrent neural network inside, where the inputs are sequences of cookies laying along the ground.  The pet eats the cookies and digests them into fireworks. 

You play as a crowd of onlookers cheering or booing to reinforce or punish the network, and maybe throwing cookies into the pet's path.  The goal is to get such fantastic fireworks that the crowd grows to a million people.
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 06:48:18 PM »

tendons are meat wires and you're full of them.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 07:13:16 PM »

Thank you for your valuable insight MeshGearFox, from now on my game will feature 97.56% less meat wires. Would I need a wire cutter made of meat to sever those however, or is that not how it works?

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 08:21:52 AM »

make an app called crApp. its just a bunch of recordings giving you encouragement during your poop, but with a slider so you can get more high amplitude, intense encouragement for difficult craps, and soft, gentle tones for regular solid style craps. you can also record crap data (duration of crap, stool type, craps per day, etc) to keep track of your ass hole health and encourage competition with your friends.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic