Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411412 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 15, 2024, 10:06:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsB-GamesSpace Barnacle
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Space Barnacle  (Read 82449 times)
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« on: September 13, 2007, 11:32:12 PM »

Download Latest: http://doomlaser.com/barnacle/barnacle.zip

Screens: http://doomlaser.com/barnacle/screens/

Video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=hoj94Z4lH8A

The build submitted for the competition deadline is available here.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 01:14:42 AM by Derek » Logged

@doomlaser, mark johns
Movius
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 01:22:14 AM »

Great fun.

lasers, enemies, shooting those enemies with lasers. what else could you want?
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 03:43:47 AM »

Jumping. But this game has that too! It's actually really a very good game, though it is fiendishly difficult. Great retro music and sound fx. The gameplay feels nice and responsive.

cactus
Makeout King
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 04:49:31 AM »

Awesome! I love the graphics in this one. And it played surprisingly well too (given the theme of the competition). One of the levels lagged incredibly on my machine, though Cry
Average Higgins
Level 1

Huh? What?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 10:37:00 PM »

Wow! Out of nowhere comes one of the best entries of the compo. I have no idea what this game has to do with Barnacles (or even space really) but it doesn't matter because this is a sweet game.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 01:30:30 AM »

Well, it's certainly a neat, polished little platformer. But how does it fit as a B-Game? Seems way too tidy and the concept doesn't seem like anything outrageous.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 01:37:42 AM »

Wow!  How long is this game?  A metroidvania entry was the last thing I expected.  Smiley

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2007, 04:30:11 AM »

I really like this one, the retro scanlines and the minuscules sprites, it also very fun and easy to get sucked into. I get major slowdown in some areas, but it's still playable somehow- reminds me of an old c64 game, Black Lamp; there was a room with a dragon that would render the game unplayable on entry, by making the framerate something like 1/32 fps. But we still would try to kill the dragon, because it was cool. Good times.
jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2007, 05:06:33 AM »

Real nice, love the graphics. Smiley The gameplay is fun but might get a lil boring after a while.

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2007, 07:30:51 AM »

lovely.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2007, 10:08:20 AM »

very nice and polished, almost too polished for a b-game. Wink

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2007, 11:01:01 AM »

Am I the only one that died a few times cuz' I jumped through 2 or 3 holes in the ceiling?
Not sure if it's really that polished Tongue.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2007, 12:08:03 PM »

Heh, no, I found a few gaps as well Smiley All good!

Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2007, 10:10:33 PM »

Hey everyone, thanks for the feedback.

I put together a little trailer from some gameplay footage:

@doomlaser, mark johns
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2007, 10:24:31 AM »

so lovely.

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2007, 06:35:14 PM »

Lovin' the glow effects, scanlines, and now NES-era box art.

It's almost too good for this competition... But that's okay.  Wink

Great job!

mjau
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2007, 07:17:23 AM »

This game is awesome.  It reminds me of those old budget C64 games, one of the good ones.  Fun to play, and the little details really make it, like how the text unnecessarily scrolls when you get things or die.  The skull worm thing scared me though :D.  Great work Smiley
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2007, 07:29:46 AM »

Solid gold.

moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2007, 01:20:31 AM »

Didn't even realise just how damn good this was but I'll have to agree with what others have said.. too polished for the competition.. this is almost on a par with Lyle.

Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2007, 07:36:39 PM »

Well, it's certainly a neat, polished little platformer. But how does it fit as a B-Game? Seems way too tidy and the concept doesn't seem like anything outrageous.

I've been seeing this opinion echoed a lot, so I thought I'd share some history into the genesis of the project.

Originally, GreaterBeast and I were just talking about shitty old games, and we decided to fire up Photoshop and make some characters.  We emerged with three 16x16 sprites:

We tried to think of the most ridiculous name for a game, and came up with "Barnacle".  There was much debate as to whether the title should be simply "Barnacle", "Space Barnacle", or "Space Barnacle 2".

Wanting the game to be unnecessarily violent, the next step was to draw death animations for our characters:

After cobbling together a little engine and seeing these in-game, it was obvious that the best course of action would be to combine our static animations with explosions of bloody pixellated particle effects... and, in some cases, green and yellow vomit particles.

A story began to evolve.  Our young hero and his father are traveling through an asteroid archipelago in their spaceship.  They are shot down by a giant laser.  The father dies and gives his gun to his son, asking that he take revenge.  Unbeknownst to you, your father has been to these asteroids before, and a mysterious force resurrects his corpse as a cyborg.

The rest of the game just grew from there.  Gibs with cheesy physics were added, as well as the scanline overlay, more enemies were designed, and additive blending began being used wherever possible, etc ,etc.

So really, I think it's a fairly B-title.  Just because bloody, 8-bit style platformers with over-the-top chiptune soundtracks are currently in vogue doesn't make them an A genre.

Besides, think of all the elements in the game beginning with the letter B!  Blood, Barnacles, Base jumping...   the list could go on Wink

And again, thanks for all the feedback from everyone!  TIGs is a great community  Cool
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 08:05:23 PM by Golds » Logged

@doomlaser, mark johns
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic