Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411480 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 23, 2024, 09:51:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Colors and top-down sprites
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Colors and top-down sprites  (Read 1056 times)
denzgd
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: January 06, 2016, 01:17:54 PM »

So a project I'm currently developing is a 2D top-down game. I'm trying to set up a color scheme for one of the characters, and I like what I've gone with so far, but my problem is distinguishing colors in the middle of the face. I've gone with pink for the nose, black hair, light skin, and gold glasses. Unfortunately, the various colors and shades, particularly around the bridge of the glasses, seem to all blend together, and I'm wondering how I can fix that.

I've tried messing with various alternative colors, and I keep running into the same sort of issue. What can I do to make the glasses stand out more from the eyes and rest of the face?

EDIT:

Made some alterations.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 07:38:46 PM by denzgd » Logged

JWK5
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 03:43:57 PM »

denzgd
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 04:43:35 PM »

Thanks for the input, and effective use of graphic. How do I ensure that the colors align with said gradient, though? Is there some sort of value I should be looking at and comparing, or do I just go by what looks right?

JWK5
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 08:09:26 PM »

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 02:26:16 AM »

JWK5, you should gather all your helpful images at one place. It would be a collection of many quick useful tips and and an awesome tutorial as a whole.

Thanks for your help and images in this forums! I always enjoy reading your illustrated tips.  Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

Edit: And keep up the good work!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 02:32:29 AM by zorg » Logged
denzgd
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 08:06:56 PM »

It's a bit late (work and stuff getting in the way) but I bumped up the sprite size and took your advice into account. This is what I'm working with now.

Might do something else with the glasses, and the pants color could use a bit of fixing, but much improved overall, if I do say so, myself!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 07:38:01 PM by denzgd » Logged

monsterfinger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 02:19:42 AM »

JWK5, you should gather all your helpful images at one place. It would be a collection of many quick useful tips and and an awesome tutorial as a whole.

Thanks for your help and images in this forums! I always enjoy reading your illustrated tips.  Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

Edit: And keep up the good work!

I agree completely, these are great tips. Good look with your sprite btw.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic