Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 08:58:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTiny Thor
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: Tiny Thor  (Read 26329 times)
JoeManaco
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2020, 10:56:04 AM »

I do feel like the camera following is a bit on the extreme side though, best seen in this video's last section. The screen constantly scrolls between left and right for the few jumps through the choke point section. Maybe make the camera window bigger and/or make camera direction change a bit delayed?

Yeah, you're absolutely right. We can define that the camera is locked horizontal or vertical in our level editor for specific section, but the information was not yet set in the video and I hope this will fix this issue.

JoeManaco
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2020, 06:40:02 AM »

Today I've created a short video with various gameplay situations, supported by a track from Chris & Fabian.

JoeManaco
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: May 02, 2020, 11:10:44 PM »

I have two new videos showcasing hammer and crate shenanigans in our game Tiny Thor.

The first video shows a scene that is simple and very easy, but only when the player finds out he needs to make use of his hammer.

In the second clip Tiny Thor, must use a swimming crate to cross the water. But he must also be aware of the spikes. Luckily he can use his hammer to maneuver through all of this.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 03, 2020, 07:47:37 AM »

Very nice!

Since the first clip is mostly waiting, I think it could benefit from being a little smaller so the pace is higher. Would also make it feel like more is happening, which keeps it entertaining.
JoeManaco
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: May 04, 2020, 08:02:20 AM »

Since the first clip is mostly waiting, I think it could benefit from being a little smaller so the pace is higher. Would also make it feel like more is happening, which keeps it entertaining.

Good point. Will try! Thanks Wink

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: May 04, 2020, 08:28:38 AM »

It's looking fun, I like how the hammer throwing mechanic can be put to so many uses!

In the first video, am I right in thinking that it relies on the camera moving down so the hammer rebounds off the top of the screen and comes back down? Otherwise the hammer wouldn't follow the same path. I'd be a bit concerned that maybe the player would jump to see where the hammer is going and end up interrupting its intended path without it being obvious why.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 04, 2020, 08:34:18 AM »

What if the edge of the screen doesn't bounce, but pushing the throwing button again reverses the hammer mid-flight? Would make the whole thing more interactive
JoeManaco
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2020, 01:30:13 PM »

It's looking fun, I like how the hammer throwing mechanic can be put to so many uses!

In the first video, am I right in thinking that it relies on the camera moving down so the hammer rebounds off the top of the screen and comes back down? Otherwise the hammer wouldn't follow the same path. I'd be a bit concerned that maybe the player would jump to see where the hammer is going and end up interrupting its intended path without it being obvious why.

What if the edge of the screen doesn't bounce, but pushing the throwing button again reverses the hammer mid-flight? Would make the whole thing more interactive

I'll try to answer both questions here because they are very related.

Yes, it's right the hammer bounces off the edge of the screen. First of all when we initially "discovered" this mechanic, the problem was that the hammer was out of screen all the time. We then added the behaviour that it bounces off the screen edges and it felt initially very natural (indeed in our playtests most player didn't notice it, and wondered when they first discovered it because of a puzzle that requires to utilize screen movement to bring the hammer in a special place. Was very fun to watch).

As @JobLeonard mention you can call back the hammer any time mid-flight (by pushing the throwing button again). This also enables us to introduce some interesting fight mechanics because we did it that way, that the hammer still makes damage when on his way back to the player, so you can throw it and bring it into the correct angle to hit an enemy on his way back. And your absolutely right, we didn't had that feature from the beginning and it's quite flexible and gives a feeling of great control to the player.

JoeManaco
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2020, 01:42:39 PM »

### BREAKING NEWS ###

A tiny 8-yo boy got chased down in a dark cave. He narrowly escaped the certain death.

Watch some exclusive footage of this event here:  Well, hello there!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 09, 2020, 01:46:02 PM »

Oh my, this is getting more fast-paced by the video Cheesy
JoeManaco
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: May 17, 2020, 12:15:46 PM »

Are you ready for some 8-Bit Sounds?

Chris is currently working on a new ingame track for Tiny Thor. It's still work in progress, but I'm already in love with it. If you want to provide feedback and suggestions, feel free to comment and I will forward it to Chris.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 18, 2020, 01:42:25 AM »

I'm hit with a wave of nostalgia but at the same time I can't put my finger on which games or platforms it reminds me of.

(Also, I'm pretty sure those are 16-bit era sounds Tongue )
JoeManaco
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: May 23, 2020, 01:33:55 AM »

Hehe, thanks. Probably because we're putting lots of inspiration from classics and childhood dreams into it, and I think also does Smiley

Chris is also doing some cool synthwave tracks lately for his Patreon - and the tracks are crying 80s all over the place.

Here is an example:

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 23, 2020, 03:20:20 AM »

Hmmm... retrowave  Noir
JoeManaco
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: May 23, 2020, 05:36:37 AM »

Andrew designed our new ninja spiders. In this video you can have a first look at an exhilarating scene Wink Can Tiny escape the spider's web?

Cannoncow
Level 1

The Glitch Fairy

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 23, 2020, 10:52:03 AM »

The graphics are beautiful and the gameplay looks solid!

JoeManaco
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: May 30, 2020, 12:00:51 AM »

In this video you can see a short gameplay scene where Tiny has to climb up a cave shaft full of spiders, pill bugs and nasty crawlers.

We've also added some nice decorations and some subtle spider-web-animation to our cave tileset. Hope you like it Wink

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 30, 2020, 01:55:08 PM »

It looks (and sounds) great, but I think the camera might fly around a bit too fast for me when turning
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 06:53:00 AM by JobLeonard » Logged
JoeManaco
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: May 31, 2020, 01:39:50 AM »

Yes, I think you are right!

DevDanPham
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 01, 2020, 06:26:44 AM »

It kind of give a nostalgia vibe from when I was a kid.
Digging it!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic