Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:23:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGreedventory - Soft-Roguelike RPG about smart villains and greedy heroes
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Greedventory - Soft-Roguelike RPG about smart villains and greedy heroes  (Read 13949 times)
rioren
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2016, 08:13:32 AM »

I'm a huge fan of narrative-driven RPGs and this one really caught my eye. Gorgeous pixelwork here and really intriguing story ideas. I have said it already here - wait for demo
blacktowerbasement
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2016, 10:02:23 AM »

I'm a huge fan of narrative-driven RPGs and this one really caught my eye. Gorgeous pixelwork here and really intriguing story ideas. I have said it already here - wait for demo

We took this long pause to reconsider many things. We understood that the story and characters are doing well but everything is wasted with the boring combat system we made before. So now when we completely rework it and test it (and it seems to be really interesting and brinning fun) we are going to continue and finish up everything.
In a short time I'm going to post another part of lore. I think in will be about the main antagonist - the First Hero and his followers - Igneous Sigil Brotherhood.

Vilanat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2016, 01:25:00 PM »

wow, those animations are excellent!
blacktowerbasement
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2016, 11:15:15 AM »

wow, those animations are excellent!

Oh! Thank you very much! More to come! Smiley

blacktowerbasement
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2016, 01:12:25 PM »

We've finished implementing new core combat mechanics with adding the riposte (see final part of the gif). It fits perfectly and feels really satisfying. Actually we threw out most of the not working ideas and I can say that we've not just changed the name, but the whole concept and game design is completely different from what it was before. We've thrown out boring combat, way too long dialogs, unneeded craft system, unusable skills and invented complete game we like with some unique gameplay features that doesn't feel as unnesessary complication. In a short future we'll announce the list of key-features. Just want to test them out and be assure that they work fine!

« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 02:17:36 PM by blacktowerbasement » Logged

Goodol'BoyGames
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2016, 05:57:59 PM »

"We've finished implementing new core combat mechanics with adding the riposte (see final part of the gif). It fits perfectly and feels really satisfying. Actually we threw out most of the not working ideas and I can say that we've not just changed the name, but the whole concept and game design is completely different from what it was before."

I was looking for the original demo to check out because I'm really liking the art most of all.
I couldn't find the original demo link - however after reading a lot has changed - am wondering if a new demo build will be put out? If so - where is the demo area - so I can find it for next time.

Keep up the awesome work!
freank
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2016, 11:39:13 PM »

your pixel art is... wow. another level O_O

My last game:

Supporter of
blacktowerbasement
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2016, 07:29:26 AM »

"We've finished implementing new core combat mechanics with adding the riposte (see final part of the gif). It fits perfectly and feels really satisfying. Actually we threw out most of the not working ideas and I can say that we've not just changed the name, but the whole concept and game design is completely different from what it was before."

I was looking for the original demo to check out because I'm really liking the art most of all.
I couldn't find the original demo link - however after reading a lot has changed - am wondering if a new demo build will be put out? If so - where is the demo area - so I can find it for next time.

Keep up the awesome work!

Hey! I'm super-glad you like the project! Indeed, we've removed old demo from everywhere. There is no reason to waste impressions since we understood that we can do a lot more interesting and fun game than it was originally designed. But if you liked previous version I promise you new one is nothing but better. We've changed everything that turned to be boring and repetitive to bring fun and variety in player's activities combined with challenge. About the new demos... most likely we won't randomly publish any until at least early access version will be ready or major part of it that can show all of our key gameplay features. It should be perfectly polished because unfinished work spoils all the impression. So it will take time but development is going really rapidly now which is nice.

blacktowerbasement
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2016, 07:31:51 AM »

your pixel art is... wow. another level O_O

Wow, that is hyper-motivating! Thank you very much and stay tuned for more. New monsters are forging in the pixel-art furnace of our artists (and some are already done but I want to leave something tasty for the promo video Smiley)!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 10:59:59 AM by blacktowerbasement » Logged

blacktowerbasement
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2016, 09:23:33 AM »

Weekly progress mates.

One of the key features of the game is "permadeath"... of the items. Items have durability and there is no easy way to restore it. But in contrary, loosing durability has important benefit: item can level-up, and the lower durability is the higher chance to level-up this item has.

Of course, levelups improve items and some of them will even have unique effects on max level.

Also active abilities (like "Sleep" or "Freezing parry") are granted by the items you wear. So if the item breaks you lose the ability.

This will make the game "Soft rougelike" and should serve for bringing variety and challange.

This week we've made both breaking and leveling item mechanics and items with abilities as well. Now everything should be play-tested and balanced and this is one tough part since these mechanics can be very entertaining but also very annoying being badly balanced.

blacktowerbasement
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2016, 10:42:51 AM »

Some devlog notes. Currently we decided to change animation system we used before into native unity mechanim animations. The biggest problem with animator is the fact it lacks inheritance or semi-inheritance functionallity so it cannot be dynamically extended with additional modules. So I have say evil midget with machete with his set of animations. Then I make another one who can throw flaming flasks but besides he has completely same animation states as previous one. There is no direct way to reuse the state-machine from the first one and extend it with only one additional state (throwing) so we had to do some tricks here.

What we came up with is a basic state-machine containing empty states for all possible animations. Then we have AnimationOverrideController defining it's own states (only ones that are nessesary, onthers will be left as empty). Unfurtunately, there have to be like 13-16 completely empty animation clips, but this is the cost that should be paid only once. I'll probably make a tutorial of how to achieve this since many seek this kind of question in the internet with no proper answer.

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2016, 11:08:10 AM »

Following. Will post more thoughts once I go back and read through all the posts. Smiley

blacktowerbasement
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2016, 11:20:04 AM »

And I know you like posts with images and nobody cares about plain text. Alright, actually we are ready to present the Hero!
Here is the base model, with no items equipped. Don't stare too much, he is shy!

Nah, stare as hard as you can. I like to torture him. And I will...  Evil

blacktowerbasement
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2016, 01:16:51 PM »

I spent my fucking evening trying to make *#^!&ing facebook post my gifs and images appropriately. OH. MY. FUCKING. GOD. Why in hell it must be sooo impossible. After all that rubbish I feel myself as a freaking bot. At least check this out. PLEASE.

HELL'S ABOMINATION - FACEBOOK.

blacktowerbasement
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2016, 02:04:36 PM »

Duuro posted about us!
duuro.net - Greedventory

flipswitchx
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2016, 06:55:43 PM »

I might be naive but this seems to be a pretty unique little battle system you've got going on here. Also the pixel art is super impressive! Keep up the good work Coffee

blacktowerbasement
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2016, 10:39:29 AM »

I might be naive but this seems to be a pretty unique little battle system you've got going on here. Also the pixel art is super impressive! Keep up the good work Coffee

Thanks! We only hope this battle system will be working as expected synergized by other features we have here Noir.
However combat mechanics playtests keep me (pregrammer\gamedesigne) interested each time I launch the game. And believe me it happens many times per day  Cool. I must be honest, we tried many different approaches (like 5-6) for combat and each of the previous happen to be boring after some playtime. I really love the current implementation, but of course I understand it could work not for everyone. BUT THOSE 2% OF TASTELESS BUTTFACES DON'T MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE HA-HA! Mock Anger Ghm.. Sorry, ctrl+z ctrl+z ctrl+z!

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2016, 10:36:46 AM »

Quote from: blacktowerbasement
And I know you like posts with images and nobody cares about plain text.

I love text-heavy log posts! As long as they cover interesting aspects of the process.

blacktowerbasement
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2016, 03:38:58 PM »

I love text-heavy log posts! As long as they cover interesting aspects of the process.

So here is another one Smiley. One question arised yesterday and we thought why not share it with community? Do we need player respawn (I mean the one when it only restores hp, but items you spent are actually spent, not "loadgame"-respawn)? So consider a common situation in dungeon when you and the Imp got say 10 healing potions and a ring that restores small amout hp on succesfull parry. And you encounter a tough pack like Berserk (enrages over time) and Hunchman (explodes upon death, requires hits to reduce explosion damage). You've tried and failed. So in respawn-based logic, you awake on the map and go back to dungeon for revenge. You die again and again until your ring is broken (lost forever) and you're out of healing potions. So now your options are to leave dungeon, go to the city or farm. Then change tactics and continue. And this is not so bad after all.
Without respawns it should be made with checkpoints in dungeons. So if you die, you load at the nearest checkpoint with the same stuff in your bag and you try again. This smalls a price of death and thus can result in boredom. Does anybody have any ADAMATINE ARGUMENT +4 for the checkpoint-based logic?

blacktowerbasement
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2016, 04:01:05 AM »

Was making parry\riposte camera and bloody effects and stumbled with an old unfinished fx for some POWER STRIKE OF SHADOWS as it seems.
And oddly enough it was not that cringe when you face something old you considered cool and fun at that time but now you see it totally sucks. It seem okay to me if sword will be redrawn and can be used in game, I think.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 04:20:50 AM by blacktowerbasement » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic