Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 02:47:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDISCO ELYSIUM (we finished it, it's out)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: DISCO ELYSIUM (we finished it, it's out)  (Read 150187 times)
kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: November 02, 2016, 01:56:28 AM »

ICE BEAR SARCOPHAGUS

Concept art for the Ice Bear Sarcophagus, a novelty fridge made by the inexplicably unsuccessful ice cream manufacturers Revachol Ice City. Someone in Revachol Ice City had a friend who was a taxidermist. The formidable Ice Bear Sarcophagus is made of real polar bear.

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 02, 2016, 05:49:57 AM »

Holy smokes that is one cool fridge! What a brilliant idea! I really hope this isn't the only novelty appliance in the game.

kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: November 08, 2016, 07:31:34 AM »

Somewhere there's a hard limit on how many novelty appliances a game can support and we may or may not have reached it  Wink

kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: November 08, 2016, 07:32:04 AM »

EQUESTRIAN MONUMENT OF FILIPPE III

Have you ever wanted to blow a national budget — not any national budget, but a global superpowers? It is said Filippe III the Squanderer — son of Filippe the II the Opulent and father of Filippe IV the Insane — third and greatest of the filippian kings of Revachol, had his bedroom converted into a treasure chamber where an unfathomable amount of krugerrands, bars of gold, ornate weaponry, armor and various chalices covered the floor and even the walls. There were whispers the king slept on a huge pile of gold like an obese dragon, instead of a bed like a normal person would.

A 3D model straight out of Blender which has yet to receive a paintover layer.

Before you stands the reconstructed statue of that very same Filippe — Filippe the Squanderer, Filippe the Lavish, Old Sumptuous Filippe who even among the filippian kings stood out for severe overspending. The original statue was badly damaged during the retaking of Revachol by Coalition forces – an event which effectively put an end to the revolution that had dethroned the monarchy in Revachol. The kings never returned, the flow of commerce did. And opulence along with it.

Some years ago a group of liberal art-minded individuals (designers mostly) thought it would be “ironic” to re-erect the statue of the most wasteful ruler of Revachol in the poorest part of the city, Martinaise Proper. The statue is supposed to capture the moment it was blown apart, like an instant frozen in time. A rare butterfly, trapped in amber, floating on a sea of shit.

You’ll come upon it in No Truce With The Furies, while exploring the traffic jam in front of the harbour gates. The statue also factors into our nascent politics system (imagine prestige classes, but instead of Spellweaver of the Fangolnir you get Fascist) where it plays an important part in the development of the Liberal.

kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: November 17, 2016, 04:39:44 AM »

Our master writer Robert wrote about his feelings for Lonelywood of Icewind Dale and a bit about how it inspires the way we intend to structure our own game.

BURY MY HEART IN ICEWIND DALE (A REVIEW OF HEART OF WINTER)

This morning I want to talk about Heart of Winter – the little known and seldom played expansion pack of the first Icewind Dale game. It’s an unlikely reference point for the location design of No Truce With The Furies’ district of Martinaise.

Why? Because of Lonelywood, Heart of Winter’s central hub. It’s the best late game standalone village I’ve ever played. Late game what? Yeah, you know – like Umar Hills in Baldur’s Gate 2, Dyrford in Pillars of Eternity, Tuchanka in Mass Effect 2, or even the (not equally well executed) Curst in Planescape: Torment.

The late game standalone village is a sweet spot for 10+ level characters. A moments respite, usually a backwater. This allows the story to reboot on a smaller scale. Both the “late game” and “standalone” parts make the village a perfect vertical slice for the main game. It also means they’re in development longer, which gives them extra polish time. The writing tightens up, minor characters become more detailed. Developers like to show these locations to journalists – to avoid spoilers the local mystery is connected to the main story in an easygoing, slightly tangential way.

Of all the late game villages I’ve seen Lonelywood certainly takes the prize. This gem is doomed to obscurity by being hidden in Icewind Dale’s expansion. Personally, I made it to Lonelywood two years ago. Back when Heart or Winter was first released I ignored it. Few played it, or have since.

Coming off Icewind Dale – oh boy is there a change of pace. The hubs in the main game are raw, minimal affairs. The first thing you need to know about Lonelywood is that it’s written by Chris Avellone. And not just “some of it” or “features some MCA writing” like Pillars. No. It’s full speed ahead Avellone mode with inventively structured dialogues, great thigh slapping material, ambitious side quests, level design that fills your path with little nuggets of interconnectedness, you name it! HoW features most, if not all, avellonian tropes. Like: the mysterious simpleton (or is he?) who says weird stuff in an otherwise unremarkable shack; the strikingly well written side character who steals the show in an Inn; an old “woman scorned” with an idiosyncratic speech pattern. Especially her! I found the Seer endearingly formulaic among these types of Avellone characters. It really shows you the nuts and bolts of how he writes his famous women.

It’s all of jarringly high quality after Icewind Dale’s spartan writing. There is this lovely moment where the old lady, in typically inter-connected MCA fashion, comments on all the other female characters in Icewind Dale. One by one. These gals are one note, one line baddies who had an inventory and a name. Now all of a sudden she’s getting all Ravel about them. Exhuding to them in riddles, decrying the fate of the woman in the middle ages.

It’s out of place in the context of the main game, but it fits Heart of Winter’s separate narrative very well. I think it’s the third best thing MCA has written. (After Torment and the Fallout: New Vegas DLCs.)

I played it two months before we began pre-production. Lonelywood prepared me for No Truce With The Furies in a lot of ways. Mainly, it inspired me to write an RPG that’s only the late game standalone village. (Although our Martinaise district is, techically, a city district. But still.)

Heart of Winter itself has it’s flaws – although few – but it’s central hub shares none of them. The best thing about it is how the sidequests are rolled out, foreshadowed, branched into. The guide character – a bored little girl – has some very nifty dialogue. The player gets to exhibit unexpected amounts of character (our main goal with No Truce). The scene with the kid is set up superbly: she lies, you may lie in return, her character slowly reveals. The village also sports a side quest that fakes the passage of time by taking it’s cues from your progression in the main quest. This lets them give the impression of a serial killer on the loose. Events happen that you feel you could have stopped. There’s a ticking clock feeling that I’m dying to emulate in a more complex manner. How the girl introduces the player to the Inn and her bored mother – and how you get to resolve both later – should be systematic touchstones for location design.

And there’s a good poetry moment in there too! I know it’s hard to believe, but there really is. The bard in the Inn conveys his back story in verse and by god I don’t know how, but it doesn’t suck. On the whole the Inn is brilliant. We’ve outright stolen and expanded upon many of it’s tricks. There’s another event cued to coincide with the main quest – an attack on the Inn. This finishes the inn keepers’ story. Lovely stuff.

Anyway, it’s all impeccable really. A shiny little pearl of sunlit snow and creaky log houses, one final parting gift from the Infinity engine. The opaque packaging kept me from opening it for 13 years. Once I did it inspired me to go through with the insanities of game production and financing.

I hope I didn’t waste your time talking about it on this winter’s morning. And I hope I get to outdo it.

Snowtech. Normals facing up get a layer of snow. Knowing that dark surfaces retain more heat and accumulate snow slower we check the brightness of the surface and favour lighter values. Modulate it with a couple of textures at different scales and you get pretty convincing dynamic snow.

Greipur
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: November 24, 2016, 09:40:17 AM »

Clever snow tech I must say! Smiley

Sustrato
Level 1

It's a good day to die.

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 24, 2016, 10:54:15 AM »

Yo I just went through and read a bunch of posts that I only skimmed before. Wow!

The heavy carriages look very cool. Very questionable that they don't have turning wheels, but hey, that explains the traffic jam.

The articles on passive/active skill checks are very interesting. Your thoughts on design are like, almost the polar opposite of mine, but they're very insightful. Your writing style even in the blog posts is very powerful, I feel like I'm getting swept up in your vision. And the review of Heart of Winter makes me want to play it (on a similar note!).

A question; with how eccentric and strange your character can behave, I feel like it would be very necessary to track these choices and have your character build a reputation. All these good dialogues and mechanics would totally fall flat if they were dropped in a world where characters react woodenly and unchangeingly to you, like an inverted Only Sane Man. Are you planning on/doing that?

kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: December 13, 2016, 02:44:10 AM »

There's a bunch of stuff we're tracking through our dialogue from displaying affinities to political ideas to showing off a poetic streak in your personality, all of which get these callbacks and extra dialogue options down the line. And maybe it's arrogant to say but the stuff we track is definitely more interesting than paragon and renegade.

kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: December 13, 2016, 03:44:43 AM »

So it's been a while since the last devblog update. I would say it was all a part of our clever marketing ruse to create an information vacuum before coming out with this incredible banger:

But the truth is we we're too busy working on the game and getting the video together to find time to write about this and that. The trailer is out and we're super proud. It was hard work and now I feel so very very tired.  

I think this is the first time we're showing off our music too? It's made by the wonderful British Sea Power whom a bunch of us had the pleasure to meet this summer. And thank you to Mikee Goodman for doing the voice (there's more where that came from).

Now I wish I could say we're taking an early christmas break but of course we're not. It's forever onwards to making the rest of  the game.

edit: Oh yeah and we changed our name from Fortress Occident to ZA/UM, new website address is http://www.zaumstudio.com/

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 13, 2016, 05:18:20 AM »

I love it! :D Great job on that teaser! Nice music, nice voice over, nice shadows on that scene... it's looking really... well, nice!

kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: December 14, 2016, 02:11:17 AM »

Thanks a bunch!

Here's a little something to make up for the lack of updates recently as well - straight from the desk of Rauno, the heavy 3d lifting member of our art team. He's testing out a different approach to our character modeling process (and really just kinda chilling out to the pleasant work of sculpting in zbrush).

Usually we've approached the modeling process from a very idiosyncratic angle where we just paint all the folds and details into the normal map by hand but he's trying out the more classic industry standard version of doing a freeform sculpt, baking the normals which we then paint over and doing a retopo of the sculpt for a game ready asset. Somewhere over there he was playing around with Marvelous Designer's cloth sim as well. All in all the process is a bit slower but the upside is that the zbrush viewport is just lovely screenshot material.

danielgoffin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: December 19, 2016, 01:43:30 AM »

Read about your game on KillScreen and then came here. Wow. This is really impressive. I've read through quite a lot of your posts. Thank you for sharing so many of your ideas and thoughts in detail.

I have been thinking about a dialogue based metroidvania for a while. Your way of implementing thought and direct speech is a great approach—an inspiration.

<3

Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: December 19, 2016, 01:48:41 AM »

Looking very nice!

kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: December 20, 2016, 01:40:44 AM »

This is a special screenshot for us, showing our redesigned dialogue engine in action. It’s called the Feld (short for Feld Playback Experiment).

The Feld is a highly advanced tape computer, a prototype lost during the turn-of-the-century Revolution. The machine and it’s copies were appropriated by the ultra-left, raided from the R&D division of Feld Electronics, then lost to the fires. This computer uses long strips of film for feedback (projection), memory (storing on magnetic tape) and interfacing (submit commands in handwriting) purposes.

All our menus are designed around the Feld Playback Experiment. The dialogue engine is just one aspect, although the most important one, as players will spend a lot of time reading text in it. It has to be perfect.

It’s pretty much working as envisioned. Dice rolls are accompanied by a tape fast forward animation, the results are announced by subtle lighting effects. The whole thing makes this nice insect-like sound, very delicate. It wasn’t easy coming up with a menu paradigm that hasn’t been done to death yet – stone slabs, cybercomputer, papyros pages, detectivy notebook paper, black techno triangles – but this is something we feel we can make our own.

As a bonus – it is a part of an in-world mystery.

danielgoffin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: December 20, 2016, 05:21:35 AM »

I like the film idea. I am not sure it is clearly readable. I only understood the transport mechanism at second glance. Though, making it resemble a classic film strip might be a confusing unnecessary cliche ...

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: December 20, 2016, 01:58:27 PM »

Love the art! Very interesting world you've got here

kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: December 22, 2016, 12:27:04 AM »

Hopefully the UI film bits make more sense as you're playing. They'll be scrolling a little when you click on dialogue options, they'll do a long roll when you click a red or white skill check. There's slight refraction on it to indicate that the tape is curved just a bit, like film tends to curve. Sound should also really help sell it.  Hand Thumbs Up Right

kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: December 22, 2016, 01:07:40 AM »

And here's a little something before we all go and have some rest. 'Til next year!  Coffee

kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: January 16, 2017, 01:42:48 AM »

Hey y'all! We're back from our winter slumber, have been for a week now. Let me tell you taking that time off really hit the spot this year. I remember last christmas I couldn't keep my hands off work, I think I was modeling furniture right up till christmas dinner. This time around the stress built up over the year made not doing stuff for a while a really appealing premise. It was good to rest but now we're back.

I started the year off thinking about our skill logos. We've considered many options from graphic logos like those in Alpha Centauri's tech tree to styling them after German Expressionist linocut prints or maybe even corner of the page notebook scribbles. But since skills talk to you in the middle of the dialogue we figured what they really need is a portrait. And I mean really "This guy went to art school" portrait. Here's a first pass at some of the portraits for a few skills under intellect:

The plan is that as you put more points into a skill the portrait also evolves. Gets splashes of color, graphic elements and so forth. In the end you'll be running around with some really tricked out skills.

There's some problems with the portraits too as some people have pointed out. They're quite moody but dialogue can range from some seriously depressing shit to outright hilarity which might start to clash with the ever-brooding skill portraits.

Also stylistically the skill portraits are built on soft edge hierarchies while character portraits are built on sharp edges and energetic splashes of paint. The juxtaposition of two different styles for metaphysical and physical portraits was intentional and sounds like it should work on paper but this might prove to be a problem when you're actually playing the game. I might have to rethink the skill portraits a little, but here's a start.

Feels good to be back!

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: January 16, 2017, 05:07:24 AM »

This game looks incredible and I really want to play it. Reading about the tech you're using to make it so gorgeous is delightful.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic