Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:56:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDISCO ELYSIUM (we finished it, it's out)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: DISCO ELYSIUM (we finished it, it's out)  (Read 145838 times)
Greipur
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: February 16, 2017, 04:17:55 AM »

Yep, the current climate is what it is. And a good thing there are some of us trying to do more. I'm glad you're getting some recognition in bigger press now. We need to show people that there's a market for grownup entertainment as well.

Anton's work is really inspiring btw.

Reyn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 16, 2017, 06:18:10 AM »

I think creating transmedia universes is very much in vogue, but perhaps not those that are more than junk food. Junk food is nice (such as Star Wars, long time fan I must admit), in moderation, but I want other meals as well. Wink

I used to enjoy the occasional burger but I find myself completely uninterested these days. It was incredibly easy to not go see the latest star wars schlock. To be honest some introspection reveals downright disgust at this permanent childhood infantility which permeates pop culture today. The nerds won the limelight but they only brought with them their manchild values but not, for instance, love for history.

"30 is the new 20" because the nerds won.
I grew up reading Bradbury, Asimov and Wells and thought mine was the nerd culture, I didnt saw Star Wars until I was already a man and its not that I didnt appreciate it but these new so called nerds are not my nerds, yet they seem to be the nerds of everyone.

Also, those portraits!! I'd buy your game just to stare at it!
kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: February 23, 2017, 03:17:05 AM »

Check it out guys, fun thing:

danielgoffin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: February 23, 2017, 05:02:27 AM »

Oh, that looks like a great boat to own. Also, that is the oiliest water I have seen in a game, I think.

kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: February 23, 2017, 05:17:40 AM »

Inspired by our very own gulf of Finland!

Greipur
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: February 23, 2017, 05:34:56 AM »

Yeah, the Baltic Sea is in a sad state (I live in the middle of it on an island).

Also, really like the oily griminess of the water, decay can be very beautiful!

Bad_Dude 2017
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 23, 2017, 05:50:23 AM »

looks ok
kuubaas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 03, 2017, 04:54:40 AM »

looks ok

Thanks! Exactly what we're going for. Gentleman

technical artist for no truce with the furies
smgorden
Level 0

Gentleman Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 03, 2017, 07:24:30 AM »

Seconding all the praise of your world design. It's more bleak than I tend to prefer, but you have a good amount of animation and detail to draw me in. Really impressed!

Makin' games.
kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: March 03, 2017, 08:24:30 AM »

Prime Junta of RPG Codex took a ship across the gulf to visit us, play the opening of the game and summed his experience up in a preview of No Truce

Read it here - RPG Codex Preview: No Truce with the Furies

"The Estonian studio ZA/UM has boundless ambition, battling impossible odds with nought but passion, raw talent, and a clarity of vision I haven’t seen in computer games since Chris Avellone in his prime."

I think he liked it!

In other news I made a painting:

Greipur
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: March 05, 2017, 12:11:08 PM »

Great piece from RPG Codex, your backstory reminds me a lot of Ice-Pick Lodge's start as well. Pathologic grew out of something Nikolay Dybowski called "nocturnes" which I understood as some kind of free form roleplay sessions. But, I'm sure you're fans of them as well so I won't bore you with details. Wink The Swedish magazine Fienden wrote about them at length, fascinating read, sadly in Swedish...

Anyhow, the painting fits the game's themes very well, as I see it; a hopeless failure grasping for salvation but perhaps isn't capable of taking it and/or being blinded by it. I love your brushes as well, did you make them yourself?

---

Having just picked up Torment: Tides of Numenera and I must say that the introspective interactions (anamnesis for example) are some of the most fascinating and I'm more hyped for these concepts in Furies as ever before.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 01:00:07 PM by Greipur » Logged

kasparov
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: March 10, 2017, 12:57:00 AM »

Kinnas is away in the land of the States, spreading the good word, so I´m taking it upon myself to pick up the slack in his absence:

While the Preview thead over at the Codex (LINK) is still booming and discussions run hot on political topics interspersed with the occasional ad hominem jab - all in the best traditions of the Codex - I´m bringing you a fresh dev blog update. This week it's typed up by ZA/UM writer Helen:

WHEELCHAIR COMPANION?
HELEN HINDPERE

What you can see here are the capeside apartments, Rue de Saint-Gislaine 33A to be precise. The pier below has my favourite piece of urban romanticism from the game – the plaque reads: “Docking reserved for residents of: Rue de Saint-Gislaine 33A.” Simple technical worldbuilding.

Revachol’s waterfront and the surrounding islands of Ozonne and Archipelagos have civilian boat traffic. Modern Revachol – a “gossamer state”, an occupied territory where only international and property law is enforced – has developed a rich culture of waterways. People drive boats like they drive bicycles. Well, rich people do. Poor people can’t afford boats.

That’s just the facts of life, sunshine.

Another word on the screenshot – it shows off our antecentennial architecture style. Havana-inspired stuff from before the turn of the century. It’s pretty bombed out now, war torn and without renovation for 40 years. We started work on the style before Dishonored 2’s campaign started, so the similarities are coincidental, stemming from common inspiration I guess. Also, we have wildly varying architectural styles in Revachol, the antecentennial is just one of them.

Other than the disturbing lack of spumes and particle effects – the “water tech” is half finished – we’re pretty happy with this one.

A word on the HUD (heads-up display) maybe? It’s still very much a work in progress. But this is the first iteration we’re not embarrassed to show. On the portraits, the red bars are Endurance and the blue bars are Volition.

About those portraits – the third one in line is the one I wanted to talk about: Lena, the cryptozoologist’s wife. She’s into cryptids, the fabled hidden animals. And the whole world in general, not only the hidden part of it. If you take a closer look at the three characters standing underneath the red paint, you’ll see that one of them is in a wheelchair. That one would be Lena.

Since we have a modern setting, we can have people in wheelchairs. Ypa! This one is a fancy, gas powered, electric motor driven wheelchair. (The wheelchair pushing animation would be too much of a hassle, plus the gas powered engine has a nice sound to it.) So we’re thinking – what if we had a wheelchair companion? We like Lena, she’s turning out nice. She’s presented us with an interesting thought experiment. How would Lena as a squadmate work?

Currently – not so well. A gossamer state does not lay wheelchair ramps over the ruins of its monarchist past. Traversing the map becomes an instant problem. We had a look at Martinaise proper and most of it is already barricaded with those stairs that isometric level design loves so much. The rest has … navmesh problems. So we’re currently thinking of making Lena into a temporary companion for an atmospheric stroll kind of side-quest. Prototype it. Then maybe expand it into a more fleshed out thing in the future? Those navigational restrictions have some interesting gameplay and exploration possibilities …

Anyway, these are just thoughts. It’s not guaranteed we’ll get her in there at all. It would need to be a smooth experience. There are a lot of crazy what-if’s that keep it on “Maybe?” list as of now. Just wanted to clear that up so y’all don’t expect her as a squadmate and then get angry when the gossamer state’s “who-gives-a-fuck” social policy cuts her navmesh.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 06:46:26 AM by kasparov » Logged
nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: March 10, 2017, 10:27:23 AM »

That link is broken! Here's a fixed one http://zaumstudio.com/2017/03/08/wheelchair-companion/

Sustrato
Level 1

It's a good day to die.

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 10, 2017, 02:28:28 PM »

Oh gosh. Oh jeez. They want to make it a transmedia project. Hell yes.

Visual Calculus definitely sounds like the tits. Can't argue with physics. Can't know more than what's in front of you. Can't have more flare or style than reality. With special ingame visuals, too? I'm feeling it.

Cool ship and wheelchair companion. But I mean, you're not really rich until you own a yacht.

So with such a vast/detailed world, and all these skills that unlock different parts of it, will repeat players be able to access a lot more on later runs if they remember details from prior? Or do you need to put the skill points in regardless of whether you wrote down those strange radio frequencies/cops and their cases?

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: March 10, 2017, 04:34:30 PM »

Always beautiful, thank you for sharing!

kasparov
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: March 11, 2017, 01:21:19 PM »

That link is broken! Here's a fixed one http://zaumstudio.com/2017/03/08/wheelchair-companion/

Thanks - I tried fixing it, but apparently I suck at TIG Forum´s foruming...

Always beautiful, thank you for sharing!

Thanks!

Oh gosh. Oh jeez. They want to make it a transmedia project. Hell yes.

Visual Calculus definitely sounds like the tits. Can't argue with physics. Can't know more than what's in front of you. Can't have more flare or style than reality. With special ingame visuals, too? I'm feeling it.

Cool ship and wheelchair companion. But I mean, you're not really rich until you own a yacht.

So with such a vast/detailed world, and all these skills that unlock different parts of it, will repeat players be able to access a lot more on later runs if they remember details from prior? Or do you need to put the skill points in regardless of whether you wrote down those strange radio frequencies/cops and their cases?

The things will still be there, of course, but it´s your character that discovers them not just you as the player - also, depending on your stats and skills - the same object/point of interest might yield a totally different result or experience.
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: March 11, 2017, 02:02:45 PM »

Gameplay with dev commentary here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/127934869?t=01h55m05s

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: March 15, 2017, 09:04:29 AM »

Fumbling on my phone to post this: we'll be at the SxSW gaming convention. We'll have a booth there and you're welcome to come around and say hi and have a go at an alpha build of the game.

We're up for the indie award nomination there, come and conspire to tilt the odds in our favour   Hand Thumbs Up Right

kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: March 17, 2017, 08:17:28 AM »

For those curious we'll be hosting a panel on the topic of politics in video games at SxSW at 5pm in Austin Texas time, come check it out!

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: March 27, 2017, 09:33:47 PM »

i am sad that i've not looked at devlogs enough to the point where this is the first i am seeing of this game. subscribing to make sure that i don't miss anything more.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic