Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 08:44:59 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDISCO ELYSIUM (we finished it, it's out)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13
Print
Author Topic: DISCO ELYSIUM (we finished it, it's out)  (Read 150066 times)
nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: August 07, 2017, 10:19:32 AM »

That second screenshot has me so excited (the depth of culture, character, and lived-in-ness contained in that space). A lot of your dev logs suggest there is reason and lore behind almost every object you're placing in the game. How will that come across in the gameplay? In other words if I want to click on that mixer in the bottom right corner and see how it works, who invented it, what are classic recipes in Revachol, can I do all that? (I'm assuming the answer is no, because scope control--but you're clearly very ambitious and if the worldbuilding/writing has been done behind the scenes, maybe you do intend to let it show through somehow other than visually.)

The more I think about it, as a reader/viewer/gamer, I tend to miss out on a lot of atmospheric details because my mind tends towards the mechanically/narratively significant parts. So if I was walking through that room with the mixer I might never have noticed it, as opposed to when I just look at the screenshot, I scan for details and immerse in the world's nonverbal elements.

kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: August 18, 2017, 04:09:59 AM »

I am literally squashing out the last bugs as I type this but

COME PLAY THE GAME AT GAMESCOM INDIE ARENA BOOTH!

Vertigon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: August 31, 2017, 10:55:27 PM »

I am completely in love with your anachronistic mashup of genres.  This looks amazing.  I hope your showings go amazingly well.

Like autos, armaments, adventure and apocalypse?  Check out Auto Fire at Vertigames!
Sustrato
Level 1

It's a good day to die.

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 05, 2017, 03:24:16 PM »

Well, you made me stare at a brick column for three minutes. Well done.

I hope y'all make an art/design companion book one day.

kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: November 06, 2017, 05:43:38 AM »

Oh boy what a long silence! Not dead though, just deep in the trenches. Too deep to poke our heads out and see what's up in the rest of the world.

Here's a picture though:

kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: December 21, 2017, 12:42:30 AM »

Merry Christmas y'alll!

Sustrato
Level 1

It's a good day to die.

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 21, 2017, 03:22:46 PM »

Gotta be honest, I think the editing was a little heavy on that clip, but it's always good to see more from your team. The shadows thrown from the mannequin really highlight the depth of work you're putting into this.

No worries about going dark as long as you're grinding and don't keep pushing the release back with no explanation! (*cough* Routine *cough*)

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: January 02, 2018, 09:55:55 AM »

Saw on Steam that “No Truce With The Furies” is labelled as a working title now? That’s such a unique intriguing name, it would be a shame if it’s changed

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Paddy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: March 10, 2018, 06:42:09 PM »

Saw on Steam that “No Truce With The Furies” is labelled as a working title now? That’s such a unique intriguing name, it would be a shame if it’s changed

It appears that the game is now called Disco Elysium.
kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: March 15, 2018, 01:42:19 AM »

Look at you internet sleuths out and about before I manage to pick myself up from behind the cintiq and log into tigsource  Noir

It's true! We changed the name, it's Disco Elysium

No more slurring on trying to pronounce a too long too clever for its own good tryhard name for a poet but also.. alas! no more furry jokes. Tiger Panda  

Where thematically No Truce With The Furies reflected on the hounded nature of the protagonist and defiance in the nadir of his existence Disco Elysium is a bit more upbeat and sinister take on it. Dance and party your way out of this pit (or did you dance your way into it?). Dance your way into the Elysian Fields if you can.

Renaming the game is kind of a big deal so here's a trailer to go a long with it. There's some sneaky fast peeks at some of the menus of the game in there if you're fast enough with the pause button.

And so time to submerge myself into work again NinjaHand Joystick

Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: March 15, 2018, 02:24:34 AM »

That poster is captivating! Keep pushing. [edit] Oh, and the name change is actually a good thing in my books. "Furries" always implied teeny fandom to me, and even made me scroll past your devlog for months before I finally clicked it on a slow day at work. Good thing I did.

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: March 17, 2018, 01:21:50 AM »

Thanks! Glad you did check it out, it'll change your life (hopefully).

There's been a long radio silence on this devblog. Partially from the eastern european winter bearing down on us forcing us to psychologically buckle up and suffer what we call the silent time. Relocating the studio to follow the sun to Mediterranean Athens for the winter unfortunately didn't pan out this year. However as the spring thaw approaches we feel our spirits enlivened, people are starting to greet each other at the studio once more and someone even made something similar to a joke yesterday. In this jolly spirit of spring comes Olga Moskvina writing about Psyche skills.

Meet the skills: Psyche

In a previous blog post, Lead Designer Robert Kurvitz introduced the Intellect skills, which allow you carve up the world every which way, and assemble new and wondrous things from the pieces. Now I’ll talk about the six Psyche skills — Volition, Inland Empire, Empathy, Authority, Suggestion, and Esprit de Corps.

Generally speaking, these six unstable dudes will make you into a more sensitive person. This is both good and bad. Of all our four Attributes, Psyche is the most schizophrenic. You will be a magnetic personality able to pick up on other people’s feelings, a powerhouse of imagination and charisma. But this will also make you a greater burden on yourself.

VOLITION

Volition is the foundational skill for Psyche, as Logic is for Intellect. However, while Logic may sometimes succumb to the temptation of intellectual arrogance, Volition is more consistent in getting you out of trouble. It’s your inner good guy.

Volition is all about having a moral compass and the willpower to resist temptations — from the sweet smell of liquor to unsavory urges. Yes, you can bear the profound tragedy of human existence, Volition tells you. No, you do not need to take a swig from that bottle of vodka to help you do it.

And when your ego is being inflated by self-congratulation and flattery (say Logic and Authority are having a big old party in your attic, egging each other on), Volition intervenes to cut you down to size before you do something abominably stupid because you’re feeling almighty. Volition is the party pooper.

It’s also the skill associated with your Morale — one of the two life bars in the game, along with Health. It represents your will to finish the investigation, redeem yourself in the eyes of others. Run out of Morale and you’ll give up in a series of excruciating “I don’t wanna be a cop any more scenes” where your friends get exceedingly tired of talking you back from the ledge.

INLAND EMPIRE

Inland Empire is your unfiltered emotions, dreams, and forebodings. Basically, Inland Empire has a lot of interesting (read: wrong) ideas about the world. It lets you know when there might be something mysterious or spooky going on. Why would you want to be just a regular old cop when you could be a para-natural detective, groping your way through invisible dimensions of reality? it asks you. (Inland Empire is, after all, the Lynchian skill.)

Inland Empire can also offer helpful hints via gut reactions – though you can never be sure when and to what extent to trust its enigmatic messages.

Of all the skills in the game, Inland Empire has been one of the wildest to write, since it also represents your uncontrollable imagination. When Conceptualization under Intellect is an art critic, Inland Empire is an unwitting creator. It turns inanimate objects animate and lets you have conversations with your gun, the corpse of the deceased – maybe even one of your items of clothing. The information it provides may prove right… in retrospect.

EMPATHY

Empathy is your ability to pick up on subtle cues that indicate that something is happening beneath the surface of other characters. Not that they’re lying to you, exactly — Drama (under Intellect) is your go-to for picking up on lies. Rather, Empathy lets you know when there’s more to the story than meets the eye. Perhaps a hidden sadness that a good detective should be able to coax out of the people he’s questioning. Or hidden resentment toward the detective himself.

Have too little of Empathy and you turn into an ungainly beast who is unable to read basic social circumstances and may or may not be forced to become a virulent… well, let’s just say, you may not have as much control over some of your politics as you’d like. Empathy is not all honesty and feelings, it’s also a basic social survival skill that makes you come off as caring and emotionally intelligent. (Even if you’re not!)

AUTHORITY

Authority is the skill that likes to fly into a rage when it feels like you and your profession aren’t being RESPECTED. It constantly urges you to reassert your dominance over those around you. Was there a hint of sarcasm in that elderly scientist’s “It’s a pleasure to meet you, officer?” Demand that he change his tone, or else!

Every so often, Authority also supplies useful information. For example, it can help you understand the power dynamics of a group of thugs, or let you know how far you can push someone before they push back. But, to be honest, it’s mostly about displays of self-assertion, which are quite important in police work.

Authority is perhaps the craziest skill to have little of. Yell at teenagers, start crying while you’re angry, verbally abuse your partner to no avail. Threaten to arrest people, then back off. If you constantly fail at asserting yourself as a police officer, you run the risk of becoming the fabled Meltdown Cop.

SUGGESTION

Suggestion is the skill of manipulators and charmers. Need to talk someone into something or out of something? Suggestion will hint at the right approach to take.

In contrast to baton-flailing Authority, Suggestion is all about soft power — why threaten someone when you can make them believe their interests are aligned with yours instead? You’ve just gotta find the right words, man.

Suggestion also lets you know when someone is trying to charm you, for whatever reason. Maybe it’s just an innocent flirtation – but how can you be sure?

Suggestion is also what people in Brittain call a slimey-limey. It’s oleaginous, even when it succeeds. And when it fails… oh boy. If you thought failing at Authority was bad, try failing at Suggestion, Casanova Cop. Aka Copponova. Aka Romeo Returns Alone.

ESPRIT DE CORPS

Esprit De Corps is your “meanwhile, back at the ranch” skill. It’s distinct from all the other skills in Metric in that it supplies the player with information that is beyond the scope of the protagonist’s present experience. Not in a para-natural way – rather, as literature. Esprit de Corps produces flash-sideways mini novellas of your cop friends, doing their cop stuff while you do yours.

Thus it draws parallels between your travails and those of your fellow officers all throughout Revachol. Esprit de Corps represents your connection to the RCM – Revachol Citizen’s Militia – the police force you’re a part of. And, more specifically, your Station – Precinct 41.

Esprit de Corps also looks in on your partner, Kim Kitsuragi, when he happens to be away. Thus, this system allows us to show what your party member is doing when he’s not in the party.

Take this skill if you like postmodern trickery. It’s a luxury skill, of course. But we see great potential for it in future titles. Esprit de Corps tells you: it’s not all about you. There are other stories happening parallel to yours. There’s a constellation of cops out there, solving cases, giving up and picking themselves up again…

That’s the gang this time around. Max out on Psyche in character creation, and these skills will argue, fight, and play tug-of-war with one another, attempting to make you follow this or that irrational impulse. It’ll be a blast, but make sure to buckle up!

A high Psyche goes well with most builds. Combine it with high Fysique for an absolute raving mad man. Or high Intellect for a mental bastion. Or high Motorics for one cool cat and charismatic leader.

Till next time!

QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: March 19, 2018, 09:30:30 AM »

Eh, the new title make me actually look at the project, which seems pretty awesome. The previous title made it sound like a joke.
jg.camarasa
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 20, 2018, 02:27:37 AM »

I also really like the name change. "No Truce With The Furies" was really confusing, and I kept reading "Furries" and thinking it was some comical, cartoony game about animals.

And it is not. And it is awesome. Following this.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: March 20, 2018, 05:52:04 PM »

Im so sorry to be a joykill but i really strongly dislike the name change. „No Truce with the Furies“ was perfect, it's evocative and fits with the mood of what we've seen so far, while „Disco Elysium“ sounds like you had a brainstorming session to come up with the least original name you could imagine.

I'm only bringing this up because this is the second time i got a sour taste from a marketing decision, the first was when you described your early tagline „a game about being a total failure“ as making it sound „like the game itself is a total failure“. Do you really think people can't parse this simple sentence?
Considering that people kept mistaking Furies for Furries, enough for it to basically be a joke when the game was mentioned on various forums, I absolutely think people can't parse a simple sentence

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
kasparov
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: April 03, 2018, 04:42:23 AM »

Quick heads up to anyone attending PAX EAST in Boston - we have our rigs set up at the Indie Megabooth. If you´re in the area, then drop by to say hello and give Disco a spin  Beer! Kinnas flew over this Monday and has been touring the art galleries in Boston.

kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: April 04, 2018, 05:25:24 AM »

Last couple of times I've also set up myself a little corner to do some live painting at so if you wanna see me splash some color around hop on by!  Gomez

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: June 16, 2018, 10:42:01 AM »

Back when this game was about furries, at least it was out and proud. I miss hearing from the log  Cry

Anyways, how's it going? Also I want to re-pose a question that slipped through the cracks before:

That second screenshot has me so excited (the depth of culture, character, and lived-in-ness contained in that space). A lot of your dev logs suggest there is reason and lore behind almost every object you're placing in the game. How will that come across in the gameplay? In other words if I want to click on that mixer in the bottom right corner and see how it works, who invented it, what are classic recipes in Revachol, can I do all that? (I'm assuming the answer is no, because scope control--but you're clearly very ambitious and if the worldbuilding/writing has been done behind the scenes, maybe you do intend to let it show through somehow other than visually.)

The more I think about it, as a reader/viewer/gamer, I tend to miss out on a lot of atmospheric details because my mind tends towards the mechanically/narratively significant parts. So if I was walking through that room with the mixer I might never have noticed it, as opposed to when I just look at the screenshot, I scan for details and immerse in the world's nonverbal elements.

irve
Level 0

Zaum Studio

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 01, 2018, 11:51:36 PM »

You can hold tab to see interactable objects in highlight and world is "annotated" with those green dots (we call them orbs).

I wouldn't guarantee lore behind every object, but if you want to partake in trivia you need to max your Encyclopedia skill. It keeps me entertained with all kinds of background from mundane to special. Sometimes the object interactions do end up in wierd places and this recipe example wouldn't be out of place.
io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: August 02, 2018, 11:53:31 AM »

Look at you internet sleuths out and about before I manage to pick myself up from behind the cintiq and log into tigsource  Noir

It's true! We changed the name, it's Disco Elysium

No more slurring on trying to pronounce a too long too clever for its own good tryhard name for a poet but also.. alas! no more furry jokes. Tiger Panda 

Where thematically No Truce With The Furies reflected on the hounded nature of the protagonist and defiance in the nadir of his existence Disco Elysium is a bit more upbeat and sinister take on it. Dance and party your way out of this pit (or did you dance your way into it?). Dance your way into the Elysian Fields if you can.
I also liked the previous title, but agree with the title change for the reasons mentioned.  Some of the visuals also seem to give a slight indication of the Disco era, but that might be just partially true.

Im so sorry to be a joykill but i really strongly dislike the name change. „No Truce with the Furies“ was perfect, it's evocative and fits with the mood of what we've seen so far, while „Disco Elysium“ sounds like you had a brainstorming session to come up with the least original name you could imagine.

I'm only bringing this up because this is the second time i got a sour taste from a marketing decision, the first was when you described your early tagline „a game about being a total failure“ as making it sound „like the game itself is a total failure“. Do you really think people can't parse this simple sentence?
Considering that people kept mistaking Furies for Furries, enough for it to basically be a joke when the game was mentioned on various forums, I absolutely think people can't parse a simple sentence

I'd say there's more to that:
1) You've probably seen:

Why does the brain skip over repeated “the” words in sentences?

2) My guess is that more people are familiar with or encounter furries more than furies.  So, the "lazy/predicive" brain will give that solution.

3) Bonus reading: Taylor Mali: The the impotence of proofreading.

Renaming the game is kind of a big deal so here's a trailer to go a long with it. There's some sneaky fast peeks at some of the menus of the game in there if you're fast enough with the pause button.

One thing I'm left wondering about is: What is so groundbreaking about it?  Hopefully, future trailers will answer that question. Wink

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic