Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 06:32:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDISCO ELYSIUM (we finished it, it's out)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: DISCO ELYSIUM (we finished it, it's out)  (Read 150171 times)
Greipur
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2016, 05:04:36 AM »

Ahem.. PRESS RELEASE:

Today FORTRESS OCCIDENT announce NO TRUCE WITH THE FURIES, a story-driven role playing game about being a total failure. An almost irreversible, unmitigated failure. Both as a human being and an officer of the law.

Find yourself in a strange and familiar new world, where you can go anywhere you want to. See that liquor store? You can go there. See that motor-carriage? You can drive it into the ocean. See that phone booth? You can call her, and make her love you again!

Or – you can take one final case and crawl back to life.

NO TRUCE WITH THE FURIES has:

•  An original genre of setting, developed for 15 years in absolute secret. Neither fantasy, alternate history, or any known type of -punk, a novel set in the same world has been dubbed fantastic realism.

•  The most advanced visuals ever made for the isometric perspective. A trick of the trade we call paintshading lets us create a moving contemporary oil painting.

•  Writing by chronically success-impaired science fiction author Robert Kurvitz and original music by the Mercury prize winning band British Sea Power.

•  A realistic skill system lets you develop original ideas using Conceptual Thinking, tune your nervous system with Electrochemistry, and become a disgrace to the uniform with Composure, a skill that lets you don your disco outfit to the maximum effect.

•  Thought Cabinet, an inventory for thoughts, where you process the ideas you've stumbled on. Ideas become fixtures, permanent beliefs that you can't get rid of, even if you want to.

•  Exactly one hundred and twenty eight times more choice and consequence than previously thought possible in a role playing video game. This is a world where even the smallest things you say matter.

We are inspired by "Planescape: Torment", "Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare" and "Kentucky Route Zero".

NO TRUCE WITH THE FURIES has been in development for over a year. It's expected by the end of 2016 for PC.

The art and screenshots looks great, I think that you'll convince quite a few publications. However, I'd recommend that next time you write a press release skip out on the superlatives and uneccesary adjectives. I get that you're trying to be tongue in cheek and sometimes it works really well (for example "chronically success-impaired"), but when I imagine a journalist reading this I can't help but to think that they'd be tired half-way through due to the tone (not the content!).

Your game can stand on its own legs is what I'm saying, without faux and ironic boasting (or if it's genuine, I don't know). I mean, take lines such as: "Thought Cabinet, an inventory for thoughts, where you process the ideas you've stumbled on. Ideas become fixtures, permanent beliefs that you can't get rid of, even if you want to.". That's enough to blow any RPG fan's mind, I think that's enough to sell a very interesting game in a world saturated with superlatives.

But, maybe this is just a nitpick of mine. We'll have to see how the press reacts. Smiley
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 06:03:25 AM by Greipur » Logged

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2016, 05:49:06 AM »

This is really brilliant and I look forward to playing it!

JamesRossi
Level 0

PANIC

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2016, 06:15:03 AM »

They style is really stunning here. I'm really impressed how much of it you can get across in the zoomed out isometric view. A lot of other isometric projects I've seen tends to lose their art direction this far back.

Major Apocaleague Baseball - Oregon Trail inelegantly cross bred with Baseball Management.
TheWanderingBen
Level 1

Making Games Around the Globe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2016, 01:48:27 AM »

I need to catch up on all of these posts, but equally important, I don't want to miss future ones. The game looks incredible -- from the art-style to the world you've created. Isometric RPGs aren't my wheelhouse, but with something this uniquely inspiring, that may have to change. Well done! Subscribed!

WillyOD
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2016, 03:48:27 AM »

Nice, interesting and informative posts, thanks.

I was browsing new releases on Giant Bomb and for some reason this was the only game I decided to look up. Keep up the good work, the game looks great!
kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2016, 12:52:00 AM »

It's good to hear all these kind words after the exhausting run up to getting everything ready for the press release. I'm furiously hitting F5 all over the internet to see what people are saying. 

The art and screenshots looks great, I think that you'll convince quite a few publications. However, I'd recommend that next time you write a press release skip out on the superlatives and uneccesary adjectives. I get that you're trying to be tongue in cheek and sometimes it works really well (for example "chronically success-impaired"), but when I imagine a journalist reading this I can't help but to think that they'd be tired half-way through due to the tone (not the content!).

Your game can stand on its own legs is what I'm saying, without faux and ironic boasting (or if it's genuine, I don't know). I mean, take lines such as: "Thought Cabinet, an inventory for thoughts, where you process the ideas you've stumbled on. Ideas become fixtures, permanent beliefs that you can't get rid of, even if you want to.". That's enough to blow any RPG fan's mind, I think that's enough to sell a very interesting game in a world saturated with superlatives.

But, maybe this is just a nitpick of mine. We'll have to see how the press reacts. Smiley

In hindsight we probably overdid it with the insane feral gamedevs from the woods wackiness. Or maybe we didn't go far enough?  For a moment we had this line in there as well: "Face melting turbo graphixxx meets fucking Picasso or something."

Fuck. I think we should have gone with graphixxx.

kuubaas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2016, 01:12:08 AM »

Fuck. I think we should have gone with graphixxx.

I personally would have gone with "World's First Isometric RPG to Melt Your Titan (so you know it must be good)"

But that's just me furiously optimizing my own hungry shaders. Tired

technical artist for no truce with the furies
kasparov
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2016, 12:51:17 AM »

Hi! My name is Kaspar and I’m working on No Truce With The Furies as a concept artist. In this short post I’m going to tell you a bit about what goes into a background. I’ll do that by elaborating on one of the screenshots from our recent press release (Read it here), namely the moody one with the bad-ass car and the rain and the big building.

Clickity click on the image for higher resolution

I worked on that – the Perikarnassian church. It is one of the landmarks in the game and even before I began our AD Aleksander had made this early mood concept (that’s the image above).

The environment started changing during production. First, the area is newly sketched out (like here) and a rough 3D block-in of the landscape and buildings etc gets done in Blender. At this point I look at lots of references, sketch some and discuss my ideas with the writers and the AD. Eventually I end up with this:

Based on this sketch I do some variations before going into more detail and minute variations, below, along with the original idea and the rough block-in for comparison.

As you can see by the green tick – at first we went with that one. We had to press on and before I could give it to Mikk for modeling I drew up a slightly more detailed image. In this phase I tried out some colors that would fit the mood of the place. Meanwhile I got to work on the church interior. As this is something you won’t be seeing today I’ll fast forward a bit Smiley

When you compare the model to the concept you’ll see that it has gone through some changes again. The isometric perspective can be a harsh mistress. From some angles you lose detail and other angles butcher the silhouette. In Blender I went back in and made both smaller and larger modifications to the model. There, now we could basically put it in the game! It just needs materials.

Here’s the render of the church where I’ve applied base textures and tweaked the model some more – note the angle of the roof, the tower didn’t really work visually before and I attached a balcony/boardwalk to its side among other details. Now the render’s composites (the various maps our custom shaders use) went back to Rostov, who gave it a paintover.

Et Voila! Ain’t a thing. Thanks for tuning in.

Hai! Click on the image for higher resolution
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 01:41:03 AM by kasparov » Logged
lithander
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2016, 03:00:29 AM »

Looks amazing. I like the RPG-without-combat approach, too! Is there a video somewhere? I'm curious to see how the graphics looks in motion.

kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2016, 03:19:04 AM »

Not yet but maybe in a month or so? We're a small team so it's hard to find the manpower to divert from making the game to running the marketing machine.

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2016, 03:48:46 AM »

Really loving all the break downs being posted here. Definitely one of my favourite devlogs currently. Would be great to know what you use to texture the models? It all looks so hand painted.

tanis
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2016, 04:08:47 AM »

You've done an outstanding work so far! I really love the art style and your game definitely reminds me of the good old Infinity-based RPGs.
I'm looking forward to a release date Wink

verticalvertex
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2016, 10:35:22 PM »

The art is amazing.

It's all good.
kuubaas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2016, 03:45:42 AM »

New Tech Day: Occluding Clothes

Hi there! Here's a quick writeup of how we occlude wearables, mainly for coming back to when future me is puzzled over his past decisions.

No Truce's fantastical realism does not lend itself to clearly distinguishable character classes that look so much alike you could get away with just a texture swap. What we have is more or less everyday clothes on more or less (mostly less) everyday people. That calls for underwear, shirts, pants, boots, coats, hats, gloves, etc. In other words, a truckload of assets to be combined in a truckload of ways. That, in turn, means a lot of mesh clipping if you're not careful. The problem with careful is that it’s time consuming and not fun at all.

Naive approach

The initial plan was chopping the character base mesh into pieces and hiding the meshes not visible under current apparel. That would include chopping up shirts which could be partly covered by a coat or a jacket. And trousers which could be partly covered by various lengths of boots. Or the other way around. Referential joke: Hey, that’s even more chopping than Hugh Jackman.

“Buttoned up, under cloak, sleeves rolled, high waist pants, disco pants. WHERE DO WE CHOP?”

This is apparently where technical artists should put their foot down and ask character artists to start standardizing their clothes. But I’m a people pleaser and wouldn't dare tell kinnas how to art, so I prefer sorting things out before opting for the "technological limitations" excuse.

A less naive approach (Did he just call industry’s standard methods naive? Read on to find out.)

Since we're in the privileged position of not pushing many polygons, we don't really need the polygon reduction from aforementioned method and could actually just get away by making the underlying geometry invisible.

And once we’re just setting transparencies, we don't even need to do it by polygon. A low-resolution map will suffice.

However, we still have a few problems to tackle:

- each article of clothing does not know what it occludes or what occludes it.
- each article of clothing is an arbitrary soup of polygons that does not know or care where on the body it sits.

For the time being the former will be handled by a simple script which places assets into an array (hat/coat/shoes/etc)and they will occlude each other in a static order.

The latter is a more interesting task however. To avoid any time-consuming proximity baking, we will need to describe the body mesh and the wearable assets in a single topological space.

We will define an additional UV map to each asset to describe just that.

Enter the Vitruvian Map

Da Vinci would be proud.

Instead of overwhelming our 3D modelling pipeline with tens of edge loops to consider, we simply add the task of mapping your object to the Vitruvian Man above...

Jacket mapped to the vitruvian man.

...and making a little b/w map to describe where the object occludes. (could be automated I guess)

Jacket’s occlusion map to be applied to underlying layers of clothing.

In engine, we loop over the array of clothes, grab the vitruvian map as we go from outer to inner layers, multiply it to the previous ones and apply it to each layer. So a shirt will receive the jacket’s vitruvian map and body will receive the shirt’s vitruvian map multiplied by the jacket’s vitruvian map and will thus be occluded by both. Use the multiplied maps to dictate alpha cutoff and you're done.

The jacket's vitruvian applied to body alpha. Cascading nature of this method not illustrated.

Completely unrelated

Sometimes we keep buggy code to use for a potential dream sequence.

batiali
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2016, 03:51:00 AM »

Enjoyed the devlog a lot. And the game looks amazing. Looking forward for more!  Hand Clap

Designer | Developer | Website | Twitter | Devlog: Almost a Hero

“All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien
3Beards
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2016, 05:12:18 PM »

This is one of the most exciting games I've seen in development for a while! I'm so looking forward to playing this.

Check out our full devlog at
thekosmonaut
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2016, 08:52:07 PM »

Completely unrelated

Sometimes we keep buggy code to use for a potential dream sequence.

Ah looks like cloth and hair had some vertex shader displacement bugs which were left in for shadows? interesting

kuubaas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2016, 10:07:08 AM »

Ah looks like cloth and hair had some vertex shader displacement bugs which were left in for shadows? interesting

Almost. It's actually a first attempt at bending vertices in the shadow map to compensate for characters floating above the ground (there's an inevitable difference between the low-poly navmesh and pixel perfect height map). We take a difference between the character's depth and the height map's depth in view space and move the character vertices along camera's forward vector so shadows magically snap to their feet. The bug was caused by shadow map's resolution and was fixed by a small positive normal offset for characters' vertices while rendering the shadow map.

Enjoyed the devlog a lot. And the game looks amazing. Looking forward for more!  Hand Clap

Thanks!

El-Metallico
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2016, 11:48:08 PM »

Dudes, that church art is stunning, also amazing lightning, keep it up!

Game music composer and pixelartist.
Music Portfolio 
Pixelart Portfolio
blindskystudios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2016, 02:36:26 PM »

Utterly gorgeous!!! Truly blown away and humbled by the technical prowess and artistry on display here! 

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic