Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:24:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCover Contest - A Survival game set in the Fashion Industry
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Cover Contest - A Survival game set in the Fashion Industry  (Read 542 times)
Sven_Ahlgrimm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 11, 2016, 10:20:07 AM »

Cover Contest is a cynical survival game set in the Fashion Industry
It's a game about dreams, the constant search for a job and the connected lowering of expectations
The player has to interpret vague job annonces to decide how he wants to present himself and how much the job is worth it

The player tries to get on the cover of a new model magazin.

Features

- Make money by doing all kind of jobs, in which your body serves as application and tool -
- Use your money to: Change your look -> get better jobs -> make more money -> ... -
- Make risky or morally decisions. How much do you really want to be on that cover? -

How will the game work?

The game will be split into two sections.
On one side the player can make changes with his body and sees in which conditions his individually body parts are.
These changes and options will be presented by a creepy collage of photos (like the cover above).

On the other side, the player can search for jobs on a randomly generated jobsection of a newspaper.

The casting and job themself function more like a text-adventure.

Why am I doing this game

I don't know anything about the fashion industry, but I want to make a game about job-searching. The job-type model works good because of the visible application in form of a body or face and the need to constantly apply. I also want to get better with UI and want to try a few interesting things with it in this game.

By: https://twitter.com/SvenAhlgrimm
Release: 2016
SinglePlayer
Platform: PC
Controls: Mouse
Engine: Unity

More informations and pictures of the game will follow.
I'm currently working on the random generated job section.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 05:06:09 AM by Sven_Ahlgrimm » Logged

Sven_Ahlgrimm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 09:32:46 AM »

I worked today on the jobsection of the game.

The jobs are listed in one long newspaper column.
I now can easily create new jobTypes, which get randomly picked.
The job-types differ in:
  • Name
  • Required states (hairColor...)
  • Required Overall Beauty
  • Required beauty of certain bodyparts
  • Money
  • Text-based Special Events
  • Time to get to the casting
  • Duration of casting
  • Duration of Job
From which some, depending on the job-type, are also random.

I currently only made one job-type, but you can see, that some of the requirements get chosen randomly:

The list is a scroll view, besides scrolling through the jobs, the player can interact with the jobs by:

Left Click:
  • Call to get informations if the position is alredy filled (costs time and money)
  • Go to the casting (but the position could be alredy filled)

RightCLick:
  • mark the annonce

Besides making more job-types I maybe will also make different job containers with different fonts.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 03:17:03 AM by Sven_Ahlgrimm » Logged

Sven_Ahlgrimm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 10:37:11 AM »

I worked on the "collage" part of the game.

I want to give the player the feeling, like he is really planning on getting that next job, so I'm building a diegetic (or meta) interface in form of a desk.

The player then just simply drags and drops the collage pieces on a black cardbox to assemble his look for the next job. Pieces that don't work together replace themselves, while the formation of the arrangement doesn't matter.
Since those collage pieces need a lot of place to be dragged and dropped, the player scrolls the screen to see other parts of the table (like the newspaper).

Objects on the table get scaled depending on the height of the screen.

Of course, the final game won't contain duplicated collage pieces.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic