Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 10:17:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Cabadath
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Cabadath  (Read 45906 times)
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« on: March 14, 2009, 09:49:35 PM »

So everyone was saying he needed a thread, I figured I would just make one...

Movelist:
A   Scythe   A quick horizontal swipe with his weapon.
↑A   Skewer   Cabadath stabs his spear straight into the air.
←A/→A   Get Over Here   Extends spear axe-end forward, then pulls. Pulls opponent closer if it hits.
↓A   Chzo   A red tentacle attacks from the ground in front of him.
Special Attacks
S   Teleport Dodge   Cabadath teleports backwards, then charges forwards with his spear. Can be used to dodge an enemy's attack.
↑S   Teleport Drill   Cabadath teleports upwards, spinning his weapon like a drill as he reappears.
←S/→S   Teleport Charge   Cabadath teleports forwards and swipes with his scythe.
↓S   Teleport Lunge   Cabadath teleports to the ground, where he shoves the spear head downwards.

Sprites:
Portrait: Hmmm I seem to remember that someone did a portrait for him?
Idle:- Grim-kun and Poppants (still undergoing changes)
Walking:
Jumping:
Hit:
Scythe:
Skewer:
Chzo:
Get Over Here:
Teleport Dodge:
Teleport Drill:
Teleport Charge:
Teleport Lunge:

... I think that's all that is needed?
Also, I will be free to code this guy after the Cockpit Compo if you like.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 01:33:00 PM by Soulliard » Logged

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 10:08:21 AM »

I think it would be easier to have a separate animation for the teleport and the S moves.
Or if the moves happen during the teleport in, just make it separate for teleport out.
null & void
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 12:42:15 PM »

Aww. I come back and someone already beat me to it. I'm going to toss out my old sprites and work on this some since it fits the style better -- my main problem is his axe-mace-scythe being a bit too ornate compared to the concept art and him being a big wrongly proportioned. The art of him shows him being unnervingly skinny, which I am almost certain was purposeful. Skinnifying him would make the head more chibi looking again and therefore bring him closer to the IB style. I'll also work on his height -- he was tall, but if I remember 6 Days right he was a little less than a head taller than Trilby. If I manage to make everything look nice, I'll post it here.

EDIT: Also, yes, I agree with the teleportation, I actually had a specific animation in mind. I should post all my attack animation ideas here in fact.

EDIT2: I just put down the ones I had very strong visions of here, because I think they are pretty accurate representations of how he'd act in a fighting game situation. Also, I was certain the drill thing was pretty much universally considered out of character for Cabadath and that a sweeping motion was the substitute we were going to use.

>A- Get Over Here- It begins like Scythe, but upon contact with the opponent he turns so his chest is toward the screen, then pulls hard. Middling damage, pulls the enemy closer.

vA- Chzo- He stabs the spear end of his weapon straight into the ground, followed shortly by a small series of reddish-pinkish tentacles stabbing out along the ground. After this, he takes a moment to remove his weapon, then makes a hand gesture. Respectable damage, minor knockback.

>S- Teleport Charge- He passes a hand in front of his chest, and disappears. When he reappears, he's a good ways in front of where he was. He moves forward a couple steps with the mace-axe end of his weapon held forward. He slides to a stop and then lifts the weapon up, pausing at the end of the stroke. Respectable damage, knocks the enemy into the air.

vS- Teleport Lunge- He passes a hand in front of his chest, and disappears. When he reappears he's standing on the ground, his spear already stabbed through the target. He takes a moment to remove it and steps back. High damage, stuns (making it the only attack he can use for combos).
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 12:58:02 PM by Erin Gardien » Logged
Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 05:36:53 PM »

He looks kinda like Rorschach from Watchmen.

And just for that, he is now my favourite IB character.
J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 05:39:47 PM »

He looks kinda like Rorschach from Watchmen.

And just for that, he is now my favourite IB character.

The artist formally known as "Javet."
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 06:02:18 PM »

Compared to Cabadath, Rorschach's a complete wuss.

godsavant
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 06:14:12 PM »

I'd think the masked version of Trilby looks more like Rorschach.

Tazi
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 04:19:58 AM »

Masked Trilby looks like The Question: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c8/Question_34.jpg
Btw, Rorscach was inspired by The Question, and actually (Yahtzee wrote it in the commentatory) Cabadath was inspirted by Rorschach.  Well, hello there!

null & void
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 07:42:14 PM »

Okay, I admit defeat. My spriting skills simply clash with IB's style on every level. I'm ashamed to even post what I have, it's awful.

Let me summarize what I don't like about the sprite currently, so that someone who isn't me can try their hand at fixing it.

1: The weapon is being held wrong. If he were to try and swing the axe/mace end like that, he'd snap his arm off. His hand should be palm-toward-the-screen.
2: The weapon is too ornate, particularly the top -- it should be more rounded at the top, as shown in the art linked in the Character Submissions thread. Cabadath is not an ornate fellow. He's very, very blunt and to-the-point.
3: His clothing should be slightly less dramatic. I was going to say the pose should be too, but I think it's actually somehow fitting. It's not Prince-stage Cabadath by any means, but it's how I imagine Arrogant Man-stage Cabadath would act -- considering the story to 6 Days, I'll buy it.
4: If the de-dramatizing of the clothing doesn't make him look slightly anorexic, it might be a good idea to slim him down manually just a bit, but keep the head's current dimensions. The previous version's head was huge and comically flat on the top, which is why I don't like it.
5: Cut his height down some, because unless my side-by-side comparison of him and the current Trilby sprite is wrong, he's way too tall.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 08:11:08 PM »

1: The weapon is being held wrong. If he were to try and swing the axe/mace end like that, he'd snap his arm off. His hand should be palm-toward-the-screen.
It's a double-ended weapon. Regardless of how he holds it, one side would be awkward to use as a weapon without repositioning it.

2: The weapon is too ornate, particularly the top -- it should be more rounded at the top, as shown in the art linked in the Character Submissions thread. Cabadath is not an ornate fellow. He's very, very blunt and to-the-point.
I think it looks cool.

3: His clothing should be slightly less dramatic. I was going to say the pose should be too, but I think it's actually somehow fitting. It's not Prince-stage Cabadath by any means, but it's how I imagine Arrogant Man-stage Cabadath would act -- considering the story to 6 Days, I'll buy it.
I don't think his outfit is any more dramatic than his original depiction.

4: If the de-dramatizing of the clothing doesn't make him look slightly anorexic, it might be a good idea to slim him down manually just a bit, but keep the head's current dimensions. The previous version's head was huge and comically flat on the top, which is why I don't like it.
I've noticed this, too. Cabadath should be very thin, but he's chunkier than Naija, Lyle Iji and others.

5: Cut his height down some, because unless my side-by-side comparison of him and the current Trilby sprite is wrong, he's way too tall.
I agree. He's supposed to be tall, but not quite this tall.

null & void
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 08:27:08 PM »

Yes, but his moveset only has him using the spear end maybe once or twice, which means the mace end should be the one positioned for immediate use. Not to mention that using the spear end at an awkward angle is less likely to break your arm.

I'll concede the point that it looks cool, but it just bothers me somehow -- makes him look a bit like a vampire, cause of the bat-like shape and stereotypical Dracula clothes. Maybe someone could show how the other way looks in sprite-form.

The extra-dramatic look of the outfit is mostly the skirt/cape thing. It's puffy, getting larger toward the feet. In his original appearance, it fell almost completely vertically. Altering that appropriately could also help him look skinnier.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 08:52:01 PM »

Since he can reposition his weapon when he teleports (like he does in the games), the way he holds his weapon is only relevant for three moves: Skewer, Scythe and Get Over Here. Of the three, two use the axe end and one uses the spear end; I don't see how this is an issue.

null & void
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 09:02:05 PM »

I suppose we'll see how it works out when we get to animations.
Plasticware
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 11:42:27 AM »

...?
medieval
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 12:05:27 PM »

I'm gonna give this guy a try, animation-wise

EDIT: So which one of the fellers do I use as a base? Also, is there any reference to Cabadath's pose when he does the Skewer attack in Chzo?

EDIT NUMBER TWO:
Never mind. I AM NOT READY FOR THIS STUFF.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 12:32:31 PM by Michael Yamada » Logged
shig
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 12:50:59 PM »

His stance really does need to change for the same reasons we changed Trilby`s stance. He can`t really pull off any kind of attack from that stance. Hell, even walking like that would be awkward.

If only the tip of the spear where in FRONT of his feet - from our perspective - that`d be ok. Not exactly a good fighting stance, but at least he could stab people instantly without much trouble. But the way it is, it doesn`t make sense and it`s not very practical either.

It's a double-ended weapon. Regardless of how he holds it, one side would be awkward to use as a weapon without repositioning it.

Not only is this not true, but also probably not valid as an argument, since this stance manages to make BOTH sides awkward and unpractical for immediate use.

the way he holds his weapon is only relevant for three moves: Skewer, Scythe and Get Over Here.

Considering he has a total of ten moves, three is a lot.

Also, I haven`t played any other Trilby games except Art of Theft, but from this video I`ve seen, Cabadath seems to grab people alot. Usually by the neck or head. Maybe it could be an attack? He could probably use a quicker, close range move to deal with characters like Nikujin.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2009, 01:11:27 PM »

...?
That might go a little too far. But at least it shows that the sprite can be scaled without destroying it.

If only the tip of the spear where in FRONT of his feet - from our perspective - that`d be ok.
You're right. That would make a big difference.

Also, I haven`t played any other Trilby games except Art of Theft, but from this video I`ve seen, Cabadath seems to grab people alot. Usually by the neck or head. Maybe it could be an attack? He could probably use a quicker, close range move to deal with characters like Nikujin.
His moves should already be very fast. Cabadath's moves will have short warm-up times, but long cool-down times, just like in the original games. Scythe, in particular, should be a good move to deal with opponents that are too close for comfort.

Tazi
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 01:12:22 PM »

Can I give a try for the base sprite?  Roll Eyes

shig
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2009, 01:16:00 PM »

Of course.  Smiley
You didn't even have to ask.
Tazi
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2009, 06:32:15 AM »

Okay, I tried to make some changes on the base sprite, but I'm not too happy with the result, but I post it anyway.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic