Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 18, 2024, 01:08:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFae Tactics RELEASE July 31st!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Fae Tactics RELEASE July 31st!  (Read 23070 times)
TopherPirkl
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2016, 08:21:07 PM »

This is a fantastic looking game, and I will never not want another tactics game in the works. Keep at it!

Sound Designer | @phantomfreq | Demo reel
Eldraev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2016, 09:04:01 AM »

Both the pixel art and the illustrations look amazing.
Can't wait to see more of this!

mankoon
Level 4

And that is how you get to Llama School.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2016, 12:27:41 PM »

Hey thanks for all the support guys. It really gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside to see everyone excited for tactics games.
Also apologies for the lack of updates. We had to spend some time supporting Legend of Fae's build on steam.
 FreakOrama : Yes @endlessfluff & my personal @mankoon but I'm probably going to be posting a lot right here.

Ok, so let me run through some character design stuff. ( This is still work I did a while ago and I am still playing catch up)

We have a bunch of characters to design for this game, so instead of designing them one by one like I normally would I decided to do them in bulk.   I really enjoyed this shotgun approach. I didn't have to question my designs as much when I see them all standing next to each other.  It allowed me to easily see where my designs were going and make sure characters stood out on their own. The color scheme was designed in bulk too- except for Peony where I just made adjustments. She's already changed a bit from the illustration I posted earlier and I will be updating it

So here's the current rough character roster

Below are some design doodles that I went through to get to character in the line up above.
Chico & Piyachin
Yes he's a dog with a baby bird. I remember the discussion clearly.
It went something like... Kyron: "He needs something else" So, I jokingly doodled a chick on his head.
Kyron was sold. Then we designed everything accordingly.

Erisolde
I actually really like the version of her with glasses but it's so far from her description.

Tom Tildrum
This is probably my favorite character design iteration. So many different ways the design/race could go. The fat hulking cat won.(can't say he wasn't slightly inspired by my doofy ass cat Durr...? ...)

And heres some cleaner drawings of the concepts above. Chico/Piyachin are already in sprite form and you can find him in the gifs.
Chico and Piyachin

His bird actually looks more like this though. I have to edit this drawing eventually.

Erisolde:

Tom Tildrum

I will post about the two other characters in a a later post.

Cheers and thanks for lookn'

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2016, 01:57:57 PM »

Absolutely in love with these character designs!

TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2016, 08:50:33 AM »

The creature models are the perfect mix between Final Fantasy and Pokemon.  I am digging it.

Do you think you'll have voice acting? I have a few VA friends in mind who might enjoy checking out this project.

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
mankoon
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2016, 10:32:00 AM »

Thanks M4uesviecr and amanfr01

Amanfr01-  ff mixed with pokemon- thats a neat way to put it. As for VA, hmm not sure. We've never done a production with VA. I guess we have a lot of time to think about that, though

TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2016, 10:39:50 AM »

Yeah! Just let me know down the line.

I'll be staying in touch with this project, so I'll definitely be in the loop.

Hahah, yeah! There's definitely a "pocket monster" element to the creatures, but they're a bit too fantastical to be drastically derivative of Pokemon. There's a majestic  quality to them, much like Final Fantasy monsters. They're really well done. I look forward to seeing them animated!

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
Birdorf
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2016, 03:30:47 PM »

I can't get enough of these sort of games!

This looks fantastic.
SrGrafo
Level 0

Artist / Animator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2016, 08:59:08 PM »

the art in this game is amazing, keep up the good work   Gentleman

TopherPirkl
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2016, 09:20:46 PM »

I love the character designs! I think you have a great eye for costume design, and I have to say one of the things that really sets your designs apart is how different each character's silhouette is. Too many RPGs lately default to one basic character silhouette and only slightly vary details here and there. These characters convey a lot about themselves just from their stature and shape, much less the level of detail you've gone into.

ashtonmorris
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2016, 08:29:53 AM »

The characters look very fun and unique  Panda Gomez

Keep it up

Ashton Morris - Composer & Sound Designer

Roah * Bomblsinger * Goliath * Wings of Vi * Lemma * Bit Heroes * Star Command Galaxies

http://www.ashtonmorris.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ashtonmorris
Bakuda
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2016, 09:56:13 AM »

Yay...a tactics game!  Love these games!  And I'm loving those character designs.  This looks so great, keep it up!  Grin

mankoon
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2016, 03:44:15 PM »

Hey Guys,
Sorry, it's been a while. I really wanted to make this a daily dev post kind of thing. Thanks so much for the motivation! Someday I'll get Kyron to actually make a post in this thread too but until then you're stuck with me. Evil

Some more Leader Unit art. Last time I skipped over the centaur and the little yellow chicken

Orowantus
When we were developing our Puzzle Game Legend of Fae, we ran a contest on our blog. The contest challenged our community to submit a description of a Fae creature they'd like to see in the game. We then took the descriptions and illustrated it. We promised that the winning entry would be in a future Legend of Fae game. The character below is the winning entry from that contest created with KimJ.
(another work in progress illustration)

She's already in game. Here's Kyrons sprite of her.

Pichon
Now on to the cockfighter, Pichon. He's probably one of our favorites so far.

Here's some sprite motion concepts.

Kyron's Sprite work:

That's all for the Leader Unit concept arts. I can't wait to make finished illustrations of these characters but I have a lot of production tasks to do.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 06:59:46 PM by mankoon » Logged

TopherPirkl
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2016, 04:29:53 PM »

I love every dev post you do, and each one makes me more excited for the game! And those animations are really satisfying to watch. Keep it up!

mankoon
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2016, 12:32:17 PM »

Thanks Topher! You da best
Here's some Orowantus in action for screenshot saturday- she's a ranged character with chance to poison

The ground tiles have changed from the gif on the OP. I preferred the original more natural looking brick. It's probably going to be revised again since I liked the old one but kyron likes this one  Waaagh!

TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2016, 01:59:59 PM »

I really like the new animations in the recent GIF uploads Smiley. Especially jumping down to a lower tile. Lots of fun!

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
ktep
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2016, 04:22:29 PM »

Hey Carolina, I just wanted to say that that I really love the character designs! Especially pichon and kyron's sprite animations. It inspired me to really start returning to my own project. =) 

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2016, 10:16:43 PM »

Valdis Story was lovely, so I'm looking forward to this! Tactical RPGs are my favorite genre - I'm making one as well.

I'm curious about how you're implementing the game in Game Maker. I used GM to prototype my game, but I wasn't able to make competitive AI that could run quickly enough. I ended up switching to Monogame as a result, which has been working much better for me.

mankoon
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2016, 12:02:17 PM »

Ktep & amanfr01 Thanks thanks Tiger

Souliard your game looks super cool. I love the sprites and animations Hand Fork Left Hand Knife Right. I'm not a programmer so not the best one to answer that but we haven't bumped into an issue with gm in regards to running ai. However that might be because the design we set out to do is a lot less complicated. The combat has less menus and character actions are contextual.

Theres been a lack of posts from me. We havent stopped working on this project, I just havent gotten the hang of devlog posting. It has to be quick and dirty- So here's what I've been working on
Kyron's the spriter but I do design, initial sketches and color for him to sprite from. Here's what that looks like.

At the moment I'm doing some portrait art. I really would like multiple expressions instead of single portraits but its very time consuming especially when we have so many characters. So right now I'm working on looking for a visual style for portraits that I can do very quickly. I'm trying to figure out a style where I can do 3 a day. All I have is sketches right now though

cheers   Bro Fist Left

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2016, 03:55:48 PM »

Just found this - really nice work so far Smiley

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic