Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 23, 2024, 11:03:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFae Tactics RELEASE July 31st!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Fae Tactics RELEASE July 31st!  (Read 23310 times)
Davi Vasc
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2016, 10:13:26 AM »

Wow, awesome art! It's great to see more Tactics RPGs popping up lately.

Davi Vasc - Video Game Composer
Twitter: https://twitter.com/VascMusic
TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2016, 07:44:16 AM »

Ktep & amanfr01 Thanks thanks Tiger

Souliard your game looks super cool. I love the sprites and animations Hand Fork Left Hand Knife Right. I'm not a programmer so not the best one to answer that but we haven't bumped into an issue with gm in regards to running ai. However that might be because the design we set out to do is a lot less complicated. The combat has less menus and character actions are contextual.

Theres been a lack of posts from me. We havent stopped working on this project, I just havent gotten the hang of devlog posting. It has to be quick and dirty- So here's what I've been working on
Kyron's the spriter but I do design, initial sketches and color for him to sprite from. Here's what that looks like.

At the moment I'm doing some portrait art. I really would like multiple expressions instead of single portraits but its very time consuming especially when we have so many characters. So right now I'm working on looking for a visual style for portraits that I can do very quickly. I'm trying to figure out a style where I can do 3 a day. All I have is sketches right now though

cheers   Bro Fist Left

The transition between concept art and the sprites is so smooth! You and Kyron have a great working chemistry. It's remarkable how similar the concept art looks like the sprite art and vice versa :D

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
Modog
Level 0

Rogue Knight Mage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2016, 10:47:29 PM »

Nice work with art of the game and the gameplay looks pretty well too Beer!

Finding what I can do better
mankoon
Level 4

And that is how you get to Llama School.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2016, 09:37:36 AM »

The transition between concept art and the sprites is so smooth! You and Kyron have a great working chemistry. It's remarkable how similar the concept art looks like the sprite art and vice versa :D

Thanks amanfr01- It took some tweaking. When I first started to do my concepts I was really excited to do multiple variations and detailed drawings. Then I soon realized that it would be harder to translate a detailed drawing to a low res sprite and a lot of what I designed would be lost anyway.
 Original attempts at concepting below!
Witness Pangolin UNIT!

I didn't even draw that in an isometric perspective. Now I draw them in the most useful position as possible and I use a fat photoshop brush because it's closest to the actual pixel outline it will translate to. Sure my inner artist wants to go ham on these but I also just enjoy having more control over the final look of the sprite by being more accurate.

Testing the text box
The past month I mostly hung out with family so didn't have much time to work on new portraits. I've been instead mocking up text boxes.
None of this is actually functional in game, just mock ups. I've been messing with how much of the portrait I show...

Bust and head or... just the face hmm...

Thank you for watching!

Oh crap: Forgot to mention that the background mocked up in the screens above aren't final either. It's just something Im messing with. Seems most tactics games do a solid color back there. I'm trying different things out as we go
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 10:00:48 AM by mankoon » Logged

ktep
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2016, 12:06:04 PM »

I really love the chat bubble motifs. Glad to see that you totally didn't go total retro with a simpler design. I personally like the head and bust design, but that could end up being a lot more work?   

TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2016, 12:52:45 PM »

Family comes first in my book! I approve Smiley

I also approve of the new bubble-text. They look really great!

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
Reilly
Level 2

14/f/tx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2016, 03:23:07 PM »

Glad this was bumped! following!

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2016, 07:56:00 AM »

Oh crap: Forgot to mention that the background mocked up in the screens above aren't final either. It's just something Im messing with. Seems most tactics games do a solid color back there. I'm trying different things out as we go

I like the way the background is heading as is - it gives a feeling of depth to the map/world, rather than just an isolated battle grid floating in space.

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
Conker
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2016, 11:20:19 AM »

Oh god i'm excited for this
wizered67
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2016, 01:17:29 PM »

The graphics look really good! Great work! I'll keep an eye on this!
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2016, 01:07:08 AM »

Looks really good but I don't like the name. Fae Tactics sounds super generic. You want your game to stand out from the other tactics games in it's first impression, and Fae Tactics just makes it sound bland.

May I recommend Pichon: Cockfighter tactics as a new name?

This guy wants it ^

(joking about the new name but i don't like anything with Fae in the name, look on steamspy, there's 5 games with fae and the same fairy painted asthetic: http://steamspy.com/search.php?s=fae)

btw, was this your previous game?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/109200

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2016, 04:24:29 AM »

OH BABEN. This looks splendid <3

mankoon
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2016, 06:49:23 PM »

Hey guys, thanks for the kind words~ :3

Pixel Noise: Yea I like it too. Right now that image is a mock up so I have to figure out how it's going to work in the game and what other elements would look and feel cool without costing too much.

Impmaster: Haha, Glad you like Pichon :3 I love him Evil
 I don't really mention it enough but 'Fae Tactics' was more of a project name.  And you are correct- Legend of Fae was our first commercial project.  Fae Tactics is based in the world of Legend of Fae but not a sequel. Legend of Fae's project name was... drum roll... 'Puzzle RPG'. So exciting. We didn't change it until nearing the end. We will have to redefine what you think of the word Fae though. The Fae are pretty necessary to the existing story.

Update: Chat implemented.

Kyron even added a little emote bubble. It's not entirely done just yet. Still need to make a monospace font, adjust vertical spacing and make the little text box arrow.  Peony's portrait is also still a work in progress piece( her hair doesn't match the sprite's) but now we know the size of that asset and its relation to the screen. Now I know much detail would be overkill on a portrait.
That's it for now! Toast Right

TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2016, 02:21:22 AM »

Hand Thumbs Up Right Two thumbs up for the emote bubble Smiley

Very classic and reminiscent of the genre. I think using "Fae" in the title is all right. You could always go the Square Enix route and go really overboard with a crazy ambiguous title hahahah!

I'm sure a solidified title will come in time as you continue working on it.

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2016, 03:45:05 AM »

Really like the look of this, good luck with the project! Smiley

mankoon
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2016, 08:36:27 AM »

Thanks gimblll!
amanfr01 - we've thought of FAEtality. Just need Vandal Hearts levels of blood!!!

Just a quick update because I think it's cool.

Kyron is the pixel man and tile master. I don't have much experience with it and he's very quick. He can make them from the top of his head but since he's programming it's a lot of work already. So I've been making the concepts for isometric tiles.

This isn't a concept for a particular room in the game. It's just an illustration that brainstorms doodads for an interior themed tile set.

Here's the color up. Making tile concepts is one of my favorite things to do!

Here's a look at the editor. All the parts were translated (except the rug  Concerned) so, I remade the room in the new tileset!

All those parts will be used to make stages/locations as you might have figured.

Hope that was entertainin'! Back to work for me.

Conker
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2016, 08:46:29 AM »

Dammit this is way to awesome.
RuinousA
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2016, 08:49:01 AM »

Yeah awesome stuff!
vitorlanna
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2016, 01:06:06 PM »

The game looks amazing!
I didn't know the game maker was capable of this, pretty nice!

Joh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2016, 01:54:30 PM »

Ok, this is indeed incredible!
The art is already goergeous, but im even more surprised by how well it tranlated to pixel art.
And thats a really cool map editor!

keep up the good work!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic