Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:08:59 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFae Tactics RELEASE July 31st!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Author Topic: Fae Tactics RELEASE July 31st!  (Read 23176 times)
koalefant
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2016, 03:16:37 AM »

The art looks amazing! I am looking forward to play the game...  Grin

Working on a grappling-hook game about frogs DevLog
mankoon
Level 4

And that is how you get to Llama School.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2016, 03:21:05 PM »

Helloooo
Thanks for checking out the posts even though I was gone for so long.
@Yong. Thanks. I was waiting for Kyron to make that post. I usually do art posts but mayhaps I can make that post....

Anyway.... Here is our game's Logo:

I'm so happy with this result :D I've come a long way since Legend of Fae's logo. I don't consider myself a logo designer or anything but I really like to do these things myself so I can learn how to do them better and I've improved a lot over the years. I wanted to share with you an overview of my process. I wish I could get into more detail but if you have any questions about it, I'll answer. Anyway, Here goes...!

Brain Storming: Logo
Ok, so here's how I started. I brainstormed some ideas with a brushpen.

The one that really stood out was the version on the bottom left of the second page.

Brain Storming: Illustrative Bits
I started to wonder if I could make it cooler with some illustration to go along with it.
So, I mocked up 3 ideas for that design.

Fleshing out Illustration
From these 3, I decided to go with the one that was more challenging because ultimately it represented the game the best. The image below shows the the development of that illustration. Toward the end I edited the illustration again so that the characters very tightly flow with the logo and don't over lap with it.

Fleshing Out Text Treatment
Next I worked on the logo/text treatment. I wasn't sure what I could do with it to be honest. I spent a lot of time trying to figure that out. I actually took breaks from working on this because I got stumped a few times.
But here are some of the iterations I went through.
An early Gold Leaf approach. I liked the idea but not enough to continue with it.

This was ok but the illustration is distracting to the text in the logo.

Another attempt with a Lighter logo. The logo treatment itself was something I liked but the colors weren't. I liked the dark colors from the previous logo.

Here I took the last logo treatment with darker colors. However the characters on top were still competing with the title.

Final ( or near it)
And here is my last iteration. It's near final. I'm probably going to only change the font for the subtext. There was a lot of tweaking before I got here. Mostly color tweaks but This we finally felt represented the game well. Characters don't distract from the logo and the Title is readable. I also edited the illustration once last time to snugly fit into the letters.

That's all for now! Gentleman

Tyrus Peace
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: November 14, 2016, 09:12:35 AM »

Wow, that's such great logo work! It's gorgeous and very readable. I'm way impressed with how complicated the illustration portion is, and how little it actually distracts from the text now. Nice work iterating to get there.

Cristiano Vitorino
« Reply #83 on: November 14, 2016, 12:38:47 PM »

Cool logo! Beer! I can't help but see a big mustachio in it also haha Gentleman
Kyron
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: December 14, 2016, 10:14:17 AM »

(re-posted from our blog https://endlessfluff.wordpress.com/)
 This is the first of a series of small posts I’ll be making about the design and development of the core game play in Fae Tactics. This post will briefly go over the combat system as a whole and the follow up post will go into some details about specific parts.

As with all of our projects there are a large number of influences from our life long love of games. If I had to narrow it down the two most important influences to this particular project are Final Fantasy Tactics, and Culdcept Saga. What we were aiming for was a combination of the now classic tactical combat of FF Tactics with the collectible and strategic deck(party) building found in Culdcept Saga. Before we started any of the main development there were a few design constraints I established with the intent of keeping the scope in check (Haha) as well forcing creativity in the design of the game. The main one of these constraints was no combat menus. With this in place I designed as much of the combat as I could to be context based. Now let’s take a look at exactly what that meant.

The combat progresses in Rounds and each one has a player turn and an enemy turn. On your turn each of your units can Move and/or take Action. One way to bring depth to the combat system with no menu was through the movement system. Each Unit has stats for Move Distance and Jump height. How far and how high a unit can go greatly alters how that unit can be used strategically.

Selecting an empty space within range will cause the active unit to move there. There is of course standard moving by walking and jumping up/down on terrain, but some units also have passive movement skills that alter how they can move. For an examples, units that have the Aquatic move skill can walk on both land and water and receive a buff while in the water. Units with Aerial move skill have an increased evasion chance as well as being able to move over most terrain and avoid triggering traps. Positioning is also very important since attacking from behind decreases the targets chance to use reaction skills and attacking from high elevation grants bonus damage.

Selecting a space occupied by an enemy unit will cause the active unit to make an attack action. Each unit has multiple attributes for their attacks that I will go into more detail about later. For now I will only talk about attack types which each unit has one of. Units with Arch attack type have a greater vertical reach (both up and down) than standard attack types, but deal reduced damage to units directly next to them forcing them to keep their distance from the target. Melee attack type units can perform combo attacks if they are standing adjacent to an enemy unit that is currently being attacked by one of their allies.

Selecting a space occupied by an ally will cause the active unit to assist that unit. Assisting can grant various stat boosts as well as Enchants (We’ll talk about Enchants and Curses later) and even reviving wounded allies. The type of assist used is determined by the Element of the assisting unit. I will explain more about this in a post about critical damage which is also determined by element.

Building and customizing your party is a very important part of the game. There are many factors to take into consideration when selecting your party. Factors like movement skills and attack types mention above, as well as other traits and abilities we have yet to show you. Your party can have up to three “Leader” units and up to three “Summoned” units. Leader units are the main characters of the story and each have there own set of unique skills. If a leader unit dies that’s game over. Summoned units on the other hand are re-summoned at the start of each battle and can freely be used to scope out or set up your enemy. That doesn’t mean you should use them recklessly though, having the right summoned units to support your leaders throughout the battle can make a huge difference. There is also the fact that summoned units that die during a battle don’t receive  the bonus victory Xp awarded at the end of a battle. In another post I will go into the details of customizing, upgrading, and obtaining your party.

That’s it for this first post about the game play in Fae Tactics. We look forward to showing you more about the combat. (All sorts of cool stuff like spell talisman and super moves!) We’ll send you off with some of the awesome music Sam English has composed for the game so far, bye for now.

darrenagar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 14, 2016, 01:48:35 PM »

This project looks amazing! I only wish I had time to play RPGs and Turn Based Strategy games. The hours I used to sink into Advance Wars would seem like minutes Shocked but so great! Loving the isometric visuals, you've nailed it Coffee

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: December 14, 2016, 02:17:30 PM »

This is looking beautiful, I really love the artwork! The music sounds like a really good fit too.

I also notice that it's says 20% complete, which means I might have time to play it when it's ready Smiley

Take your time!

jordanchin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: December 14, 2016, 03:06:18 PM »

Excellent work you two. I love seeing devlogs that really show the art process. Will be watching this one.

Composer & Sound Designer
www.jordanchinmusic.com
bacon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 14, 2016, 05:29:51 PM »

Ah so beautiful! And shoutout to another isometric pixel art game  Beer!

CANTATA
DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 14, 2016, 09:55:27 PM »

So awesome!!! I've been waiting for a game to scratch that FF Tactics itch for so long!

The art is fantastic and those tracks are perfect!  Hand Clap

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
Kyron
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2018, 12:02:12 PM »

After a rather eventful 2017, we're almost back into full gear. I'll try to get another game play update out soon, but here is a screen from a map I'm currently working on and the camping mini game in action.

DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 03, 2018, 09:49:11 PM »

Great to see updates on this!

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
Krucho
« Reply #92 on: March 03, 2018, 10:27:30 PM »

Ooh so that's your next game!
Valdis Story was amazing, it had mostly humans characters though if I remember correctly, this time it seems you're going for more animals/monsters! Which is AWESOME. I listened the OST sample too feels like it'll match the game great.
mankoon
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: February 24, 2019, 08:42:39 AM »

Hey Yall.
It's been about a minute since the last time I updated here. Indeed a lot has happened. Early 2017, I spent every waking hour taking care of mom. We lost her and it was a very painful time but we are ok now- so don't worry. We had a BABY in later the same year! I did it with no epidural too! Fight me.Evil Next stop, bullet ants!  Anyway, its been a long time because now our little one is one.
Well, we've been pushing forward on development for a while now and I thought I could just do a little dev dump here.

*Phoenix Down*

News!
1. We've partnered with Humble Bundle to help us Publish the game!
2. We've implemented and are currently testing controller support!
3. A lot of design art has been made and tweaks and the story has progressed and stuff! Sorry -there is such a huge time gap of things that have been done that I can't really name them all. I can however dump a lot of art below that hasn't been shared here!

Campfire minigame fun! Artwork for the background of the cooking minigame

More Isometric Tile concepts were made

These are rough designs for a group of people in an upcoming zone.

More character design.

Sorry that I am vague about the areas and names of characters. I am excited to share but also fearful of spoiling some stuff, ya know? Not sure what the balance is but anyway...
Here's more art of our main character Peony-

And here is some art for the 3 characters you start with in the game  Smiley   (Peony-pink hair, Chico- Doge, Payachin - birdy)

Art is done by me however the isometric tiles are based off of Kyron's story location description.

OH SHOOT. I ALMOST FORGOT! WE HAVE A STEAM PAGE THAT IS LIVE!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/995980/Fae_Tactics/
It's WISHLISTABLE!  Hand Any Key Hand Any Key

Ok that's it for now. Thanks for stopping by and have a happy Sunday!
Cheers!

TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2019, 06:07:22 AM »

Whoa. I am thrilled to see this alive and well! Great new character art, as well.

I'm sorry to hear about your tough time. I knew another team of developers who lost their mom recently — it's painful to watch, so I cannot imagine the pain you've endured.

However, congratulations on your baby!

I look forward to more updates. Take care of yourself!

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
badru
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: May 01, 2019, 04:48:07 PM »

this looks so fucking good. replying to follow.

mankoon
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: July 23, 2020, 08:55:24 PM »

Hey,  Sorry for the long long absence! So much has happened but most importantly Fae Tactics is releasing in a week!
July 31st!
Game Release HYPE! Evil
We partnered up with Humble as publisher and it has been amazing assistance to us.

Humble! https://www.humblebundle.com/store/fae-tactics

Steam! https://store.steampowered.com/app/995980/Fae_Tactics/

Wish us luck!
Love,luck and lollipops!
-Caro

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 23, 2020, 11:09:31 PM »

« on: 2016-01-11, 22:32:21 »
We've been working on this game for about 3 months full time. It's intended to be a smaller project that we can take a break with since our last game Valdis Story had much higher res graphics and took more than 3 years to finish.

Cheesy

Congratulations though!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 11:17:26 PM by JobLeonard » Logged
mankoon
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: July 24, 2020, 01:57:52 PM »

Yep. heh.  Facepalm
It was supposed to be a small little thing but ... well it was really fun to develop and we couldn't stop adding to it. Some life events slowed the development but happy to say it didn't stop the development cause it's done - WEE! 

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 02, 2020, 07:26:19 AM »

I just got an email in my inbox about a certain release of a certain game...

Congratulations! Coffee
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic