Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 01:03:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingklee (casual puzzle mockup)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: klee (casual puzzle mockup)  (Read 1238 times)
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« on: January 11, 2016, 04:07:59 PM »

Sorry,

there is no real thing like a game to test at the moment. I created this topic to show you a small game idea and i'm very interested in your feedback:

Gameplay mockup. Klee is the german word for clover.

Simple gameplay rules: click&drag on a leaf to create a chain reaction (longer chain -> more points) which ideally builds a four leaf clover at the end (-> bonus points/multiplicator).

The main part of the gameplay is to find good chain reaction lines to manipulate the playing field to create/prepare lucky clover combinations.

Humble beginnings in Unity.
No interaction possible, yet.
You have been warned!
(01) http://zachau.info/krams/tig/klee/klee-v01

My goal is to get to a point very soon, where i can stop to add anything to the game without letting it look unfinished. This way i want to put myself in a position to be able add more features or stop working on it, anytime. To finish my first game.

Please tell me honestly what you think about it! Smiley
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 02:20:46 PM by zorg » Logged
irrlicht
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 10:42:16 PM »

My brain hurts just by looking at that  Corny Laugh
But it looks like an interesting idea. Could be fun!

Currently working on PostCollapse, a post apocalyptic survival game. More on my blog. Yes, my user name is somehow related to that C++ library. Smiley
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 12:54:15 AM »

Explanation please! What exactly makes your brain hurt? Smiley
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 02:06:42 PM »

This is how i imagine a click and drag control for rotating a leaf. I'm not sure if a rotation should start the train immediately or a separation between rotation and start is needed. In this case, a player's turn could consist of multiple actions, two rotations and one run, for example.
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 07:29:57 AM »

Another mockup for the control. With this control scheme, the user can decide if he wants to rotate the leaf or start the chain with this leaf. One round could be a defined amount of user actions.

I'm still very interested in comments/feedback. Smiley
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 07:36:14 AM by zorg » Logged
skaz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 03:41:29 AM »

Puzzle games are not really my thing, but I'm afraid of one thing in this project: you can spend an infinite amount of time looking at the screen trying to figure out the best path, and I can imagine it being kind of paralysing. Especially if the leaves fall like in tetris or in match 3, the range of possibilities is HUGE. Again, I can't plan enough ahead to find any interest in match 3, so I'm probably not the target Smiley

Will you give the player as long as he wants to make decisions, or force him to act quickly via a timer? That would result in tow totally different games, and I imagine the first possibility to be more interesting if you have levels to complete with score thresholds. Players can spend a long time figuring out which actions to take to maximise their score, with a limited number of actions.

Otherwise, it's aesthetically pleasing, it'll be easier to comment on the gameplay once something playable will be available Smiley

LOST FORTRESS site! 2d action adventure exploration in an abandoned Dwarf fortress, overrun by weird slug-like creatures.
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 03:54:16 AM »

I thought about a limited number of actions without any time limit. The game should not generate stress. Score threshold for level completion is a nice idea, i did not think about pre-made levels before. Only endless mode. Not refilling the screen could be an option, too. Thanks for the input. Smiley

I did not add the controls, so there is no gameplay, yet. The only thing i did, was testing out a normal mapped texture on a quad instead of a sprite texture. Which was interesting (never used a normal map before) but it's not really helpful for the gameplay...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 04:11:25 AM by zorg » Logged
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 02:16:25 PM »

Had a problem with OnMouseDown not firing but i thought the bug was somewhere else... pretty annoying, so not much progress. At least clicking leaves is now possible: (02) http://zachau.info/krams/tig/klee/klee-v02/ Still, no endless mode!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 02:25:26 PM by zorg » Logged
seu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 10:46:47 AM »

Nice! I can see now why you found Demondrian interesting. Smiley

Are you planning on stopping further input until a move is finished, or do you want to keep it realtime?

Check out Flip!<br />http://perroelectrico.com/flip
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 02:07:39 PM »

Hi Mr. Zorg   Hand Shake Right Grin

I love casual puzzles. Being overwhelming at a first glance is ok for casual puzzles, as they end up relying less on planning and more on chance. BUT I have seen variations on this idea as a rigid puzzle where the objective is to eliminate all leaves and it's pretty hard, but the rules are slightly different (look for 'pfeilpfad' or 'signpost')

Keep it up.

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 04:46:23 AM »

Hey, thanks for your feedback. Currently i don't find good 'conditions' to work on the game. Work is pretty annoning at the moment and i just want to relax in the evening, watching TV or playing videogames (see friends) before sleeping and working again (started playing Zelda OOT on my N64 again. Just arrived at the Water Temple...). I really want to continue working on this spare time project, but i have other things to do at weekends, too (see friends).

seu: I'm planning to disable player input until a move is complete. I finally played Demondrian a bit and wrote some lines in your thread.

diegzumillo: Hey! Thanks, i'll have a look at the games you mentioned. Smiley
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 04:09:30 PM »

Looks neat. How's this coming along?
Are you diving into different levels, or is it endless mode?

Gabahulk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 05:29:23 AM »

Hello!

I'm not sure I understand the game, The objective is to make 4 leaf clovers, but what happens when you can't? does the leafs fall down like bejeweled games? If that is the case I'd give it a animation of leaf falling when they get off the game "board". Also, I think it would be very cool if you added a bit o velocity on the leafs as they chain, and maybe add bonus multipliers by the number of leafs they use to make a 4 leaf clover, as that will encourage more complex plays to get better scores, I'd say the art feels "minty" (which is very nice) and I think you have done a great job, and should keep that philosophy with the other game elements.
I know these where more suggestions than feedback, but there is not much to comment since there is no real gameplay. Keep up the good work!
Also, please consider leaving feedback on my game (https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=53814.0).
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 05:41:19 PM by Gabahulk » Logged
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2016, 12:36:58 PM »

Hey! So I just posted in the Games forum looking for you.. "Loop" on Android and Apple Phone reminded me of this.

naezith
Level 2

Remnants of Naezith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2016, 02:15:58 PM »

Colors and animation looks so smooth, fresh and delicious!

Gameplay idea looks original too, it could be amazing if you get a long streak and have cool effects as they are popping :D

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic