Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 01:35:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsJarvis - Hack 'n' Slash | 2d Platformer | Metroidvania
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
Print
Author Topic: Jarvis - Hack 'n' Slash | 2d Platformer | Metroidvania  (Read 38353 times)
chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: September 17, 2017, 02:45:22 PM »

Did a pass on some tiles:

Ditched a bunch of the dithering, felt a bit noisy, also upped the saturation a tad.

chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: September 19, 2017, 01:22:38 PM »

Okay, I'm done messing around with it; Dash Attack officially a move!

Poor frog thought he could escape...

Ayramen_Studio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: September 19, 2017, 02:02:09 PM »

Nice pixel art and animations! That looks like a really cool metroidvania Smiley

Keep up the good work!

chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: September 20, 2017, 07:37:36 PM »

Thanks, glad you like it!

chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: September 24, 2017, 10:43:32 PM »

I finally got sick of staring at the Options UI events and had to take a break...

And by break I mean playing around with this thing that the feature creep keep whispering in my ear about:

The little bar to the top-right might be familiar to those of you who have played Devil May Cry. In those games the idea is that the higher rank you score, the more points you get to buy new stuff with. It is determined by how well you beat the stuffing out of your enemies without getting hit in the process and use variation in your attacks.

In Jarvis the idea is that it will decide how high the EXP, Gems and Item Drop Chance will be. I am also removing the "attack variation part" out of the equation as I don't think that particular detail will work as well in Jarvis.

So when fully implemented: If an enemy dies while your ranking is at a specific level, that will determine what you'll get.

For example:
Rank D = 1 Gem, Bonus 0% EXP, and Bonus 0% Drop Rate.
Rank C = 2 Gems, Bonus 2.5% EXP, and Bonus 1% Drop Rate.
Rank B = 3 Gems, Bonus 5% EXP, and Bonus 2% Drop Rate.
Rank A = 4 Gems, Bonus 7.5% EXP, and Bonus 3% Drop Rate.
Rank S = 5 Gems, Bonus 10% EXP, and Bonus 4% Drop Rate.

The Numbers would most likely have to be tweaked but that's the idea at least.

Also I'm not sure I'll go with ranking letters. Perhaps a flame that burns brighter and intense as you fill that bar?

chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: October 04, 2017, 02:49:13 PM »

I touched up on the ranking bar and also gave this lil' fellow an attack:

Perhaps 2 more animation frames or so and I think I can can call him done. Also he is not as easy as it may appear. This took several attempts to record without getting caught in his smash radius.

Hit and run tactic is definitely required to handle this guy!

chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: October 07, 2017, 05:02:18 PM »

Made a new map overlay recently:

Pressing the Map key will have it show up and cover the center of the screen(instead of the top left corner where I now will be putting in something else).

Saturday bonus:
Rewarding myself by beating up some enemies after doing some new ice caverns

On a side-note I really think the ranking bar is working out great so far. Happy I listened to feature creep.

chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: October 10, 2017, 06:46:15 PM »

Working on a new title screen:

chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: October 16, 2017, 06:00:11 AM »

Animated version:

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: October 16, 2017, 10:08:50 AM »

Love the title screen!

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: October 17, 2017, 01:30:33 AM »

Thanks! Glad you like it Smiley

thefoolishbrave
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: October 17, 2017, 08:21:40 AM »

Heya! I've seen this on TIG for some time now, and I have to be honest, the main character didn't really resonate with me, but, why should that stop me from saying, hey, your game looks damn good and I would definitely play it if the combat is as satisfying as it looks :D

I hope this comes off as positive as i'm intending ha

chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: October 17, 2017, 01:27:10 PM »

Thank you, I really hope the combat lives up to expectations!

No worries, feedback is what I'm looking for! Is there any particular aspect of the character that was hard to resonate with?

thefoolishbrave
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: October 18, 2017, 07:13:05 PM »

Thank you, I really hope the combat lives up to expectations!

No worries, feedback is what I'm looking for! Is there any particular aspect of the character that was hard to resonate with?

To me off appearance alone he just kind of looks like a generic bandit, like he could easily be one of the 1st or 2nd stage enemies in a platformer, there's nothing for me personally that makes him memorable. This is obviously just my opinion but I feel like I'm not completely off, after all many people might be hard to distinguish when heavily cloaked Tongue

Even some kind of seal on his cloak would be pretty neat.

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: October 18, 2017, 10:11:53 PM »

To me off appearance alone he just kind of looks like a generic bandit, like he could easily be one of the 1st or 2nd stage enemies in a platformer, there's nothing for me personally that makes him memorable. This is obviously just my opinion but I feel like I'm not completely off, after all many people might be hard to distinguish when heavily cloaked Tongue

That sounds interesting. Personally, I find the main character very fitting for some reason.  Even though, come to think of it I've only seen the screenshots and haven't seen what the story is about other than it looks like he's on some kind of quest. 

Looking at the first page, it doesn't seem to be mentioned though but that likely won't change my opinion.

chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: October 19, 2017, 07:04:47 AM »

Hah He does look like he could be a bandit's little sidekick! A seal on the cloak is a neat idea. It would actually be pretty cool to have that one more element to him that makes him stand out a bit more. I might look into this and see what I can come up with Smiley

That sounds interesting. Personally, I find the main character very fitting for some reason.  Even though, come to think of it I've only seen the screenshots and haven't seen what the story is about other than it looks like he's on some kind of quest. 

Looking at the first page, it doesn't seem to be mentioned though but that likely won't change my opinion.

It's true, I've been really vague on the story. It's mostly because up until like a bit over half a year ago I still wasn't very sure what I really wanted to go with though I always had a rough idea in mind.

Eventually I decided that Jarvis is a magic entity(in the form of a warlock) conjured up from "failed" ritual that takes place right at the beginning of the game. He looks like any other "normal" person in this world but he is more or less just artificial with magic abilities, hence the energy blade and the spell casting(so I guess Jarvis is kind of like Megaman in that aspect just not a robot).

That is also really the reason why you collect soul fragments to learn new abilities. They're literally pieces of Jarvis spirit that scattered all over the world before you get to play.

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: October 19, 2017, 03:25:17 PM »

What you just described for story/backstory sounds pretty cool! I don't have a problem with the PC, but I do agree he could probably use...something, to make him a bit more unique.

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
thefoolishbrave
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: October 19, 2017, 03:55:00 PM »

It's true, I've been really vague on the story. It's mostly because up until like a bit over half a year ago I still wasn't very sure what I really wanted to go with though I always had a rough idea in mind.

Eventually I decided that Jarvis is a magic entity(in the form of a warlock) conjured up from "failed" ritual that takes place right at the beginning of the game. He looks like any other "normal" person in this world but he is more or less just artificial with magic abilities, hence the energy blade and the spell casting(so I guess Jarvis is kind of like Megaman in that aspect just not a robot).

That is also really the reason why you collect soul fragments to learn new abilities. They're literally pieces of Jarvis spirit that scattered all over the world before you get to play.
[/quote]

I can relate, I didn't know if I wanted to go in a fantasy direction or a strictly real life kind of plot so I was pretty vague about my game but I'm pretty sure it's going to be a blend.

Even though I think the main character is a bit NPCish it's still much better than the generic archetypes we see in most hack and slashes Tongue

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: October 21, 2017, 08:31:18 PM »

In that case, it would be possible that he's dressed like a "normal" person because he found or took those from a "normal" person. Grin  However, with that description in mind, I do agree that it'd be better to make him look special. 

In terms of motivation, is trying to "put himself together" the only motivation or is there something else that he wants?

KeinZantezuken
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 01, 2017, 05:29:58 PM »

That Dash Slash makes a great traversal move :p
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic