Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 05:17:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsJarvis - Hack 'n' Slash | 2d Platformer | Metroidvania
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Jarvis - Hack 'n' Slash | 2d Platformer | Metroidvania  (Read 38343 times)
chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2016, 11:53:26 PM »

Just finished the Level Up "notification":

I'm currently contemplating if I should add a Stats display to show which attributes that has improved since last level. Unsure how necessary that is to have.

Diejay
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2016, 04:54:54 AM »

Neat! I really like the attack effect.

chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2016, 11:22:57 PM »

Thank you Smiley

Here's yet another awesome piece of music by Simon, Boss Battle Theme: https://soundcloud.com/simon-petersson-5/boss-battle

Mr Bazooka
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2016, 12:45:03 AM »

This looks amazing!

The attention to detail is really impressive.

Keep up the good work.
chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2016, 01:55:09 PM »

Thank you Smiley

Here's a glimpse of one of the boss battles:

chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2016, 02:28:54 AM »

Just added one of Hector's minions.

chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2016, 10:00:00 AM »

Another enemy in progress:

This macho orc does not believe in leg day.

NoLocality
Level 1

AssetsAssetsAssetsAssetsAssets...

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2016, 12:16:08 PM »

Now what have I stumbled across here?  This looks like a fun game.

I really really like the 'input magic' I saw in the video, always great to simplify things for various abilities rather than stop the action to menu hop in search of what you're looking for...very nice.

The sword combat looks nice and satisfying especially that downward slash that doubles as fast travel lol.

I think I'm gonna grab a copy and give this a try when this is good to go.

Cheers and excellent job sir  Coffee

chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2016, 04:54:17 AM »

Thanks NoLocality!

I think the spell system is working great thus far, but I have a little fear growing that people who don't like memorizing the key strokes might get a bit turned off by the spell system. For that reason I actually might have at least 1 button where you can designate one of your mostly used spells and maybe a way to cycle through them. This is just an idea at this point though. I really like the input aspect myself.

Yeah I use that downward slash a lot for faster travel! There's also a dash move which lets you cover a lot of ground too. At one point you will be able to travel around the world in no time, making backtracking less of an issue I hope Wink

A small update
But a significant one for me: I just changed the base resolution of Jarvis from 360x180 to 400x225. The reasoning being that I can allow the player to see a bit further and avoid accidents like falling onto enemies/traps that the player would have avoided if they were a bit more visible(the pixelart also looks a bit better a tad more zoomed out imo).

chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2016, 12:13:22 PM »

I was brainstorming new enemies the other day and eventually this popped into existence:

I think I got a little carried away...

chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2016, 04:32:39 PM »

Just implemented air-dash. It's probably not going to be available until late in the game for obvious reasons Smiley

chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2016, 08:00:13 AM »

I was recording some footage the other day;
It almost looks like the knight boss immediately spawns a shield of bats to deflect the spell I cast. In reality it's just a pure lucky coincidence of random AI being random.  Tongue

mtarini
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2016, 08:47:53 AM »

<praise>
The last updates all look great!

And, in general...
a neatly animated pixel-art in a hack-and-slash game with an abundance of different hand-crafted enemies and scenario?
WOW, I wish I had more of that, looking forward to play a demo or a pre-alpha or a release!
</praise>

<suggestion>
I know doing this costs a lot of content creation effort, but always I noticed how NPC death animations, customized for each enemy, really help toward giving depth and realism to a pixelated virtual world, compared to the general one-fit-all "explode+vanish" effect you seem to be using. Maybe it's because it makes you feel like you killed something "physical", as opposed to popped a soap bobble. Examples abound, ranging from Metal Slug on one extreme (with its super-articulated per-enemy, per-weapon death animations), to, say, Altered Beast (where most enemies had a single death sprite -- simple, but still effective).
</suggestion>

« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 08:57:48 AM by mtarini » Logged

Warballs! · spherical fierceness · 1P · free · arena fighter · challenging
chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2016, 01:39:52 PM »

Hey, thanks for stopping by with more feedback mtarini!

I agree completely about the death animations. If I have the time I want to add specific ones per enemy though I am not sure how likely that is to happen given the rather short time I have left on this. It's on my Nice-To-Have list for sure though!

Btw - I forgot to mention before: I made the enemies white tint when struck a bit less intense based on your earlier post. They no longer turn into a flat white shapes when struck but instead more of a white tint now so you can still see the sprite underneath.

The last gif has the updated tint while the ones before has the old flat white tint Smiley

chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2016, 09:54:24 AM »

Clatter Jaw tries his best.

It's hard to aim when you only have your mouth to throw with!

HIDEJI
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2016, 12:19:59 PM »

I like the look of this. Smiley

If you like what you see, please help spread the word on twitter! Thank you! Beer!
wizered67
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2016, 02:15:22 PM »

Looks super nice! I'll keep following this Smiley
chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2016, 06:37:30 PM »

Thanks guys Smiley

I recently implemented item containers, in this case the shrubbery now drops stuff when destroyed:

Who knew you could find gems and magical energy inside of bushes Undecided

chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2016, 12:19:30 PM »

Also I just put together some Barrel containers along with a new background tileset!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 06:15:19 PM by chrilley » Logged

chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2016, 02:20:04 PM »

Added a new NPC:

He's one chill fellow.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic