Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:56:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsJarvis - Hack 'n' Slash | 2d Platformer | Metroidvania
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Jarvis - Hack 'n' Slash | 2d Platformer | Metroidvania  (Read 38070 times)
supermega_peter
Level 1

cool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2016, 10:58:47 PM »

Checking in on the progress here and it's coming on great!

How are you going to use the hue shader? Will it shift to tweak different areas?

The water effect looked very clean, nice job.

EvilDingo's screenshake point is a good one - should make hits feel more meaty!

migrafael
Level 3

Making games, two at a time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2016, 03:34:00 AM »

this is coming out nicely, will follow this for sure. I do agree that it should say "Jarvis (working title)" since it's not a very inspired name and it would be hell to google. Not to be picky or anything, I just like seeing good games succeed! :D

Good luck!

On STEAM »
chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2016, 08:39:13 AM »

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I am not sure about having screen shake on attacks though. I could have it for some bosses or larger enemies perhaps?

Sounds like the name is an issue on more than one front. Do you think it'd be fine trademark-wise if I tacked on a few more words to the title? Or is it just taboo to even have the word "Jarvis" at all?

I'm also curious on what kind of names you would suggest instead? There's no harm in brainstorming Smiley

Also here's a new version of the fire spell:

mtarini
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2016, 06:38:30 AM »

what kind of names you would suggest instead? There's no harm in brainstorming

Am I correct that the core element here is real time "action" spell casting?

Maybe the title should have the two elements in it: speed + magic.
I tried but unfortunately I could not find anything that works in that direction.
Since 'brainstorming' means no self-censoring, here're my failed attempts:
  • "Magguik" (from Magic + Quick)
  • "Faster Caster", or "The Faster Caster", etc
  • "Swiftspell" (but, google reveal it's taken).
  • "Schnell-Caster: Spell-Faster" (tongue in cheek, criscrossed)

Warballs! · spherical fierceness · 1P · free · arena fighter · challenging
chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2016, 02:17:55 AM »

Thanks for sharing some ideas mtarini  Smiley

The spell casting doesn't play a huge role really. While it is part of the main features of the gameplay spell casting is not the focus of the game. They have about the same importance as spells in Diablo have.

I wish I could dig up and show my lists of failed name ideas, now those were really bad so no wonder I cant find them. I really do suck at this aspect of game development. I guess the lists could be summed up of ideas where I tried to incorporate some words along with Jarvis like "Legend of Jarvis".

chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2016, 01:43:07 AM »

Good afternoon!

It's been a while since I posted something so beware of a 20 MB gif incoming!

I am currently working on one of the six areas, the dwarf ruins:

chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2016, 02:10:32 PM »

Playing around with some(rather simple looking) water. Not yet quite sure what water mechanics I want to lean towards... Super Mario style swimming? Castlevania infinite jumping? "Moon gravity"? Something else? Hm...

Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2016, 02:47:05 PM »

I always thought the classic Sonic games did a good job moving between water and outside-water, essentially movement acceleration/deceleration was lowered. Combine that with drowning, and it

chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2016, 11:35:48 PM »

Yeah, I think low gravity and slower pace is a good idea, unsure about the drowning part. Although it would be pretty cool if you initially couldn't survive for more than a few seconds or a minute underwater then you'd need to gain an ability were you now have infinite "air" under water and can explore further. Will consider this for sure, thanks! Smiley

chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2016, 12:15:24 AM »

I spent the night learning how to code pixel shaders. After a lot of trial and error I managed to put together a little water shader for the dwarf ruins:

At some point I think I'll add some bubbles as well.

tinyDino
Level 1

Rawr

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2016, 12:31:14 AM »

looking good as always man!  Beer!
chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2016, 09:55:00 AM »

Thanks tinyDino!

I re-worked a lot of the shader code and also added some bubbles spawning from every submerged creature. I think it's looking much better now Smiley

chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2016, 07:10:18 AM »

My shader adventures continues: I added a sine wave effect and some slight blur to the edge with a bunch of help from Naezith. Thanks Smiley

I'm contemplating adding a brighter color tone to the top of the wave.

chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: July 04, 2016, 09:02:50 AM »

I created a new flame effect for the torches in the game by re-using some of the underwater shader code.

Here's the result:

No more round  blobs of light!

Jalapenosbud
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 04, 2016, 09:13:34 AM »

I created a new flame effect for the torches in the game by re-using some of the underwater shader code.

Here's the result:

No more round  blobs of light!

that fire effect is good!

KevinTillman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: July 05, 2016, 02:20:19 PM »

This game looks great I will be checking it out on steam for sure. Congratulations on the green light.

chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 05, 2016, 02:53:33 PM »

I haven't seen anyone else bring this up: How are you doing the text in the game? Sprite-sheet or ttf? Did you make it/them yourself?

The title is really nice. But it looks like the other text work could use some kerning tweaks. If it'd help you, I make pixel fonts and would love to help out in any way.

chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: July 06, 2016, 03:36:23 AM »

Thanks guys! That's very encouraging to hear Smiley

@chriswearly: The logo is just an image based on a free font I found and then me butchering it into something of my own Smiley

The in-game text is currently mostly TrueType Font(Tahoma actually) but I have made my own little text engine that reads letters from a sprite sheet I made.

Currently I only use it within notifications and dialogue boxes but I am planning to put that in everywhere at some point. Concerning the kerning tweaks you have in mind I'm all ears! Smiley

chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2016, 03:53:36 AM »

Being rather unhappy with the regular combo attack I sat down the other day and remade it into something I am more satisfied with:

(I got plenty inspiration from Zero's standard moves in Megaman X4)

This also makes the standard attacks more useful and on par with the special moves in the game. Before this update there was no real reason to use regular attacks once you've acquired the special attacks.

chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2016, 01:02:46 PM »

I put together the basic version of the dash move which is the one that you start out with, before you gain the upgraded version that also damages the enemy. This iteration is mostly a means of faster travel but it can also be used in fights to dodge enemies and even phase through them:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic