Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:25:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsJarvis - Hack 'n' Slash | 2d Platformer | Metroidvania
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Jarvis - Hack 'n' Slash | 2d Platformer | Metroidvania  (Read 38312 times)
longneckgames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: July 10, 2016, 04:39:44 PM »

this is looking awesome! love the pixel work going on here. for some reason, when I first saw the green arrows I couldn't help but think of imgur, and the hero just upvoting monsters to death. lol that said, i really like that spell mechanic! Keep up the great work!
chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2016, 06:27:03 PM »

Thanks Smiley

Yesterday I remade the uppercut slash animation:

I think it goes better with the normal slash combo than the old uppercut animation did.

chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2016, 06:33:53 PM »

I got asked what attacks there currently are in the game and what their respective differences and uses are. Hence I made this little list explaining my ideas behind the current moves:

Regular attack (Press Attack whenever)

A two combo strike that works for most situations, can be done mid-air as well as on ground. The second strike also has a small moment of defense against attackers from behind in case you are surrounded.

Uppercut (On ground: Hold Up + Attack)

Deals a 20% extra damage and ideal for taller enemies while less useful vs smaller enemies since the blade doesn't hit them for too long before Jarvis is airborne and above them. There is also a good chance you'll land on the enemy afterwards if you didn't finish them off. So it's best used as a finishing move or when you plan to follow-up with a spin attack and falling slash.

Spin Attack (While mid-air: Hold Down + Attack)

The best approach against flying enemies. You are invincible against projectiles and enemies while using it and you can also execute a downwards slash while doing a spin attack.

Plus if you jump during a dash you'll retain the velocity, if you then use the spin attack it is now useful against ground enemies as well since you'll pretty much throw yourself across the screen while cutting anything in the way.

This move is also required to execute before you can perform a downward slash/falling attack.

Downward slash/falling attack (While spinning: Hold Down + Attack)

This is mostly used as a follow-up from going airborne with the uppercut, basically you quickly switch from spinning to this attack to come back down and finish what you started.

It's also fun to jump down holes with this attack and hit whatever is in the way on your way down Smiley

Dash Stab (On Ground: Hold Down + Attack, In Mid-air: Hold Up + Attack)

The upgraded version of the dash move. While the normal dash has you phase harmlessly through the enemies, the "stab version" will have you not only phase through an enemy but also damage them in the process. It's great against single enemies but weaker vs groups as you'll most likely dash right into the middle of the bunch and get hit.

With this version you can also dash in mid-air so your travelling time is cut down by a lot, making backtracking or exploring of already known areas less of an issue.

By the way - These attack names absolutely suck. I'm up for suggestions if anyone got 'em Smiley

Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2016, 05:17:13 AM »

The upper cut animation in particular looks really good!

It's really good that you've got so much variation in the combat, and that the dash stab lets you move quickly, I can imagine speedrunners getting a hang of this.

chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2016, 02:50:24 PM »

Thanks! We'll see what speedrunners think of it, though I am not focusing too much on that aspect with this particular game Smiley

chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2016, 12:29:57 PM »

Just started putting together the first boss that the player will encounter in the game:

Having some fun with sin & cos functions to generate the flight pattern. Now I just figure out an attack or two for him...

Edit: Putting in a little close-up of the sprite while I'm at it:

chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: July 28, 2016, 01:13:52 PM »

I figured out one attack for the first boss: "Phantom Spear" summoning powers:

I think I'll make the next one multiple spears that lock onto player at once.

chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: August 02, 2016, 09:44:26 PM »

Yesterday I made an attack that is charged up and then released. Obviously inspired of Megaman's Charge Buster though after the first wave has been released you can also choose to follow up with two more slashes.

And yes, those mages really need a second art pass...

chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: August 05, 2016, 11:02:22 AM »

While on the subject of second art passes;
I've been a tad unhappy with the backgrounds in Norgh's Grotto so I decided to create a parallax background to give the underground caves some depth and something less dull than flat rock walls.

Photoshopping some pixels...

In-game implementation.

chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2016, 03:43:34 AM »

After banging my head against the desk for a while I managed to put together a functional equip item system complete with stat previews.

Of course I was making it more complicated than I had to and caused myself waste needless extra hours. Oh well... Tongue

wizered67
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2016, 10:11:12 AM »

The equip menu actually looks really nice in my opinion! It fits the game really well!
chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: August 16, 2016, 11:30:52 AM »

Thanks! Glad to hear it! Smiley

Today I put together a new explosion animation whenever enemies dies:

Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: August 16, 2016, 03:40:23 PM »

That explosion animation is very nice! That, and all the UI work really shows a rather good level of polish being applied to the whole thing. Looking good!

chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: August 24, 2016, 07:26:50 AM »

Thanks, glad you like it!

Small update of an enemy I am tinkering with at the moment:

Jalapenosbud
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 24, 2016, 10:58:59 AM »

Looks really good and polished!

One critique point i have though, is that the enemies seems to die rather fast? but is that because of your high level or is that the gameplay? not saying it should be an endless fight, but yea Tongue

chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: August 26, 2016, 04:22:01 PM »

Thanks! I'm glad its starting to look polished Smiley

The balancing will most likely change a lot up until the release. My gifs are terrible previews as far as that part goes I'm afraid!

I am also fighting with the issue of keeping the enemies hard enough to fight without having to turn them into bulletsponges, I think I'll just have to make them smarter/add some moves to their behaviours Smiley

chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: September 13, 2016, 09:37:59 AM »

Making menus at the moment. Looks okay thus far. Feels like it Lacks something though?

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 13, 2016, 09:39:43 AM »

lacks multiple layer parallax with different speed maybe and a foreground?
chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: September 13, 2016, 11:05:57 PM »

Good idea, b∀ kkusa!

I divided up the background a bit. Also tried to throw in some of the bird enemies.

(Gif compression doing some wonky stuff. The sky is obviously not supposed to flash like that.)

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 14, 2016, 02:57:34 AM »

looks so good now  Hand Thumbs Up Right

for menu, i often use this as a reference, if it might help you:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic