Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 03:42:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralMaking a "speed run friendly" game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Making a "speed run friendly" game  (Read 861 times)
mhughson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 11, 2016, 09:30:04 PM »

I am working on a little game for #1GAM (http://www.onegameamonth.com/) and feeling like it could make a decent speed-run game.

I don't know much about the community, so I was wondering if you know of any articles or first hand knowledge, of what kinds of features make a game "speed run friendly".

Obviously it needs to be a great game, but I am thinking more stuff like:

• Built in timer
  • Ability to reset levels instantly
  • Run in windowed mode
  • Etc

Here is a little video after 1 week into development:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 09:48:20 PM by mhughson » Logged

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 03:33:48 AM »

I remember seeing this thread on a speedrunning forum, so here's a link to some commentary from speedrunners.

In game timers, instant resets, and skippable cutscenes (especially if they can be turned off) are all useful.

Be considerate of how you use randomness in your game, so that players have the ability to deal with bad luck.

In general, though, just make the game fun to play. If you do that, somebody is likely to want to speedrun it regardless of convenience.
mhughson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 11:17:58 PM »

Thanks SirNiko!  Gentleman That's exactly the kind of thing I am looking for.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 02:29:20 AM »

keep in mind that speedrunning is a spectator sport, so focus on making your game fun to watch as well as play.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 03:46:50 AM »

Also, since I'm thinking about it,

During the TAS Block of AGDQ this year they did a race for an original game designed specifically for speedrunning. It might be worth a watch, as they talk a little about how they designed the game to be fun to run. Notably, they intentionally introduced some glitches for speedrunners to exploit in order to make the process of routing the game more challenging.
MAVW
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 07:16:07 PM »

Be considerate of how you use randomness in your game, so that players have the ability to deal with bad luck.

+1, if you watch speedruns you can see how consistent these guys are with their runs and generally some bad RNG moments is enough to throw them off track.

moral of the story, use random responsibly kids

You should create a thread over /r/speedrun, I'm sure they'll have lots of things to suggest.

Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 05:41:57 PM »

+2 on the rng, if possible, don't use "real" rng AT ALL, have everything be determinate based on ingame things (so if played the same way every time things should turn out the same, especially snes/genesis/nes era a lot of games that APPEAR to have rng actually do this, for instance things will spawn/move based on position on the screen when entering, etc.)

nothing is more frustrating in a speedrun than having something random that can cause a reset due to time loss thats 100% out of your control

-Fuzzy Spider
mhughson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 10:11:11 PM »

Thanks for all the great feedback!

The game is done now, and I would love to hear what you think! It's free, and available here:

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic