Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 09:22:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessGoogle Play vs App Store revenue?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Google Play vs App Store revenue?  (Read 991 times)
G-Factor
Level 1

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2016, 04:00:12 PM »

Not sure if this is the right forum. Apologies if not!

I'm just curious. For those that have released on both platforms, what percentage of your revenue came from each platform? I know a lot of devs don't even bother with Android. Is it really that bad?

Columbo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 10:38:14 AM »

I think it depends. If you have a premium model (i.e. pay up-front for your game), then I think that sales can be very poor on Android, plus you have the problem where you'll never be able to make sure your game runs well on thousands of handsets, so some people are going to be angry at paying up-front for something that doesn't work on their device.

For a free game with IAP and adverts, or for a free game with a single unlock IAP (i.e. the shareware model), I think there's much less in it. You can expect to more downloads on Android than on iPhone, but probably less revenue from it. However, the revenue gap isn't that massive and the trend is toward the gap closing.

Currently, our title is making more per day on Android than it is on iOS, but it's nowhere near catching up the iOS revenue because we released on iOS a while before Android, and we got a good feature from Apple when we launched as a premium app.

G-Factor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 04:58:59 AM »

Thanks for the info!

I read all the posts on your website, interesting stuff indeed.

I plan to release a free demo AND a premium version on both Google Play and the app store. Neither version will have ads or in-app purchases.

Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 07:16:50 PM »

Google Play is more "viral".
App Store has a much higher percentage willing to pay.
Depends on your strategy.

For games, the technical difference is quite big though, and you'll probably end up releasing on iOS first.
nikwin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 08:22:06 PM »

I'm sure it depends on the style of game. The last I heard was about a 60-40 split favoring iOS for a Farmville-like F2P game.
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 01:02:23 AM »

Stats for my app Hack, Slash, Loot:

Store
Units sold
iOS
Google Play
Kindle App Store

NOTE: The stats for the Kindle app store are a bit skewed as Amazon ran a lock screen feature promotion for the app. The other services have never run a feature promotion for the app.

G-Factor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 04:52:45 AM »

For games, the technical difference is quite big though, and you'll probably end up releasing on iOS first.

My game was developed on Android. The original demo's been downloaded over 100,000 times without many complaints so I THINK it should work on most devices. I need to convert to iOS next. Technically it should be fairly simple but going through the hoops with Apple however...I have no idea.

NOTE: The stats for the Kindle app store are a bit skewed as Amazon ran a lock screen feature promotion for the app. The other services have never run a feature promotion for the app.

That is a huge number for Amazon! Did they simply choose your game randomly to feature or did you have some sort of partnership?

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 08:47:05 AM »

That is a huge number for Amazon! Did they simply choose your game randomly to feature or did you have some sort of partnership?
They contacted me and we worked together to create the promo media. I haven't made any attempt to promote the mobile version, as I see it as more of a desktop game, so I have no idea how they came to contact me. They ran the promotion in North America and Brazil first, then did a second run in Europe and a few other countries. They also featured the game in their Kindle Fire segment on QVC as part of the promo.

G-Factor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 03:42:58 PM »

Ah I see!

Thanks for the information!

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 05:17:40 AM »

Stats for my app Hack, Slash, Loot:

Store
Units sold
iOS
Google Play
Kindle App Store

And what are the stats for Steam (excluding bundles), if you don't mind sharing. Just to have a comparison.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2016, 08:15:19 AM »

Total Steam direct sales at the moment are 158,691 units. Of course that will include Steam sales/daily deals as there's no way to exclude them from Steam stats.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic