Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1357848 Posts in 62997 Topics- by 54842 Members - Latest Member: ttkover

March 26, 2019, 01:21:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingJG
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: JG  (Read 1195 times)
Mr F
Level 0

View Profile
JG
« on: January 14, 2016, 01:11:37 PM »

So here's a little demo I've been working on for some time. It's not much of a game, more like... a poorly interactive dream.

Download link: https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B8bUyxmdPeZSb2UwVUx2c2hkZmc&export=download
(Windows/DX9/doesn't demand top hardware... guy with Intel HD 4000 reported me that it worked fine)

Video (though it spoils everything. Better play yourself):
Code:
https://youtu.be/GZRGE_CutyY

Screenshots:

In case you're asking "WTF is happening there", I don't have an answer Smiley
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 11:51:23 AM by Mr F » Logged
owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 12:50:40 PM »

Wow, really neat. It's right up my alley.

My favorite part was the ending/painterly bit. How did you go about rendering it?

Mr F
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 01:06:12 PM »

Thanks for the reply Smiley
Painterly scene has really crazy implementation, I could write a detailed article on that. But in short, it's all made of small camera-aligned quads (no screen post-processing), each with a paint stroke texture. Quads were generated from a highly detailed offline scene (similar to voxelization process). Stroke direction is also important, it's partly procedural, partly manual (direction painted as vectors in textures). Ending animation is all done in a vertex shader, it's just sin/cos/lerp/pseudo-random. There are a lot of details to tell about... If there's enough interest to this technique, I'll better do a blog post.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 01:12:55 PM by Mr F » Logged
Hibbe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 06:00:58 AM »

I just downloaded this an hour ago or so, played through it a couple of times and... wow. All the scenes look amazing and the music fits really really well.

The lit up temple/palace looks really cool. Playing it for a second time I realize that you are being "railroaded" towards that point, but I think you could ( maybe not should, but could ) definitely open up the "city" a lot more and you would still see players drawn towards the palace because it looks like a place that would be really cool to explore.

Really the only thing I can think to suggest that could improve on what already exists would be the transition between the "city" and the "mountain path" - the brazier didn't work for me and I couldn't find the path at first. It reminded me of the snow storm in Dragon Age: Inquisition where you have low visibility and you walk around aimlessly for a little while before the game fades out and puts you in the right direction. If you could have it so after players walk around in the snow storm for a little while the path appeared almost right in front of you regardless of what direction you decided to go then I bet that would look great.

I don't know if you plan to make anything out of this, right now it looks like showcase but if it were to become a game or "interactive experience" then I certainly wouldn't mind Smiley
Mr F
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 01:00:43 AM »

Thanks for the reply, Hibbe.

definitely open up the "city" a lot more
I tried that originally, but some players didn't realize where they should go, so I made it a bit more obvious.

the brazier didn't work for me and I couldn't find the path at first.
I agree here, it's a bit on the side, while people mostly tend to move straight forward  Sad. I'd like to redo this, but I think I'm a bit too tired for now, but I'll keep that in mind.

if you plan to make anything out of this
It was planned as just a little demo... to test my skills, I guess. Also as a gift to one person. Didn't plan to make a huge game out of this, but it certainly gave me some ideas and experience for future things.
Before I used to start really big projects and wasn't able to finish them in any sensible amount of time, so it was a nice change of pace, to make something small and finished.

---
Oh! I just realized, I forgot to translate the launcher to English. Sorry, my bad. The controls there are:
- screen resolution;
- window mode (windowed, borderless, fullscreen);
- mouse speed (sensitivity).

Reuploaded translated version, should be readable now.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 08:36:04 AM by Mr F » Logged
Mark Mayers
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 08:34:00 PM »

I came across your 'Rendering painted world' blog post from Twitter.

All I can say is wow, that looks fantastic and impressive.

Keep up the good work!

Desolus Twitter: @DesolusDev Website: http://www.desolus.com DevLog: On TIG!
Mr F
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 11:10:05 PM »

Thanks! And I'll leave the link here as well:
Rendering painted world in JG
Senior-X
Level 0

am not a pervert

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 02:37:05 AM »

wah, very beautiful, love it!
that last scene is so great! an experience that would look crazy on VR Roll Eyes

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 12:54:31 PM »

This is very nice. I got a bit lost in the first section - I went round in circles for a while, until I read this thread again and worked out that I could get to the lights in the distance.

I read your write-up on the painterly section. Can you say a bit more about what your point cloud is? I gather that it's generated in advance, and fixed; but are the points meant to be spread at more-or-less even density over the surfaces in the scene, or something else? I'm confused because it sounds like at one point you're generating them from a depth map.

Beer!

Mr F
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 03:02:51 PM »

Point cloud is generated from offline-rendered frames by re-projecting pixels back to world space from color+depth maps. Scene is assembled of multiple such re-projected frames. They shouldn't overlap too much, or you get unwanted density change. I rendered all frames from nearby positions and cleaned up overlapping to maintain density.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic