Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 03:39:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallHeat Shield - iPhone game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Heat Shield - iPhone game  (Read 2305 times)
monoRAIL
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: March 15, 2009, 04:31:06 AM »

Heat Shield is my first iPhone game. I developed it using the Torque 2D engine from Garage Games. This is my first commercial game made with Torque, up to now I've been making freeware shmups.

Features:

• A unique combination of tilt and touch based gameplay not possible on any other platform.
  • 10 Missions on different planets and moons in our solar system.
  • 6 real spacecraft, each with unique handling.
  • Tutorial mission teaches you how to control your craft and complete mission objectives.
  • Online leaderboard.

Trailer on YouTube:

Screenshots:

http://blackmarketgames.com/heatshield

Click here to get Heat Shield on iTunes ($1.99)

evktalo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 05:38:06 AM »

Looks really good, and I like the subject matter. May your game prosper! How was the development experience with Torque 2D + iPhone?

--Eino
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 07:17:07 AM »

Wow , awesome concept and graphics. I would buy this game ASAP if I had an iphone.
Well done man Gentleman

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Lynx
Level 5

Upstart Feline Miscreant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 07:43:38 AM »

Pretty sharp!  I'm curious about how it felt to develop with Torque 2D as well.  I played with the 3D engine once a long time ago and felt it was too complex for my skill level at the time.

Currently developing dot sneak - a minimalist stealth game
monoRAIL
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 04:31:12 PM »

I found developing an iPhone game with Torque to be quite difficult - not because Torque is hard to use, but because it's not really optimized for iPhone and so the performance is not good yet. I was originally going to port Go Beryllium to iPhone, you can see how far I got in this video:

As you can see the framerate was less than stellar. My only options at that stage were to remove lots of bullets and enemies (no way), convert 90% of my script to C to speed up the game (not an easy option as I'm not an experienced programmer) or switch to a new game design that would run faster on iPhone, so I picked the third option.

Lynx
Level 5

Upstart Feline Miscreant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 08:06:08 PM »

Ah, the old performance bug-a-boo!  Did you use Torque2D's LUA for the script then?

No iPhone here, otherwise I'd check it out. Smiley

Currently developing dot sneak - a minimalist stealth game
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 03:37:34 PM »

Buying this tonight, looks cool!  Needs more shakeycam.

cup full of magic charisma
Kneecaps
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 04:03:18 PM »

A definite purchase from me!  Not only because it's a cool concept with (seemingly) great execution, but because you made friggin' Go Beryllium (which I can only beat on easy as of now). Addicted
monoRAIL
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 04:58:04 PM »

Lynx - Torque uses its own scripting language - Torquescript, not Lua. It's a C like language with some limited object orientation built in. My entire game is written in script. To get better performance you can convert parts of your game to C, but I just didn't have the time, or the knowledge to do that this time around.

AdamAtomic - camera shake was on my wishlist - but it turned out to be harder to implement than I'd anticipated so it got dropped.

Kneecaps - glad you like the concept :-) And speaking of Go Beryllium, some freak called Bill has scored 1557, that's almost 400 points above everyone else. I've no idea how he did it. http://cokane.com/games/beryllium/highscores.php

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic