Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 10:41:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessMonitize social media. Your thoughts?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Monitize social media. Your thoughts?  (Read 2008 times)
Wacompen
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2016, 04:07:16 PM »

you don't know how to market your game and you think that you deserve compensation for devlogging or putting your stuff in the internet.

you obviously have no idea about how things works (Papyal, micro transaactions, economics, marketing).

Give realistic solutions and people will take you seriously.

Is this why you're on this forum? You simply want to try to make me feel bad about my idea, and now you're telling me I don't know anything about marketing my game, or contemporary web transactions. Please, don't comment on this topic anymore. I didn't join this forum to be the focus for childish criticism. The idea would have a lot of challenges but this isn't the kind of feedback that solves problems.
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2016, 05:11:12 PM »

you're definitely stupid.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2016, 05:58:20 PM »

Give realistic solutions is quite a good criticism, many people point to real problem. It's not like you are the first to come with the idea and some tried it. And it has a name "donate" buttons, except it didn't worked that's why we have new formats like crowdfunding and patreon.

Plus you don't solve the problem of value anyway

regarding bitcoin, here what one of the main dev is saying
https://medium.com/@octskyward/the-resolution-of-the-bitcoin-experiment-dabb30201f7#.nftu2uj4l

Idea are cheap, implementation is key, provide and platform suceed or fail don't just discuss an idea that had been talk to dead

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2016, 06:01:33 PM »

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2016, 06:03:12 PM »

start thinking about the problem of tip's values fragmentation that get evaporated by fees and then come back

Oats
Level 1

High starch content.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2016, 10:21:25 PM »

I don't think the idea behind this are totally stupid, and I don't think having very low donations is even that difficult. I agree that if every transaction made was 10c the tax the transaction fees would make it pretty ridiculous, but only if those transactions occurred across businesses. The simple answer could be to use credit.
Every user has a piggybank stored on the server, when they want to make a donation they add credit to their piggybank from a paypal/visa account with a reasonable minimum sum, lets say $10, they then have maybe $8 credit (10 - taxes and transaction fees or whatever) and the real money they transferred is moved to a bank account owned by the service.
The user can then go around depositing tiny amounts of their piggybank into as many of their friend's piggybanks as they like, since the transactions are between accounts operating under the same service, there's no real transaction cost. Then when someone receives credit into their piggybank, they can choose to either pass on the love and use their credit to tip other people, or if their credit passes a minimum withdrawal amount, (lets say 20 credit), they can then pull credit from their piggybank into a paypal or bank account with another set of transaction fees (and probably a cut from the service, to keep ads out of the affair).
In that system there are only two places where fees come into play, and you can set limits to avoid the fees overpowering the amounts.

This idea is neither bad or impossible, and if you or anyone ever made it I'd be pretty interested to try it, and looking at the success of kickstarter, indieGoGo and Patreon I don't think I'm alone.

@bukkusa your being unfair and unuseful.

eh
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2016, 03:45:39 AM »

I forgot about this

to clarify, my taxes comment should be read as "hey, we already solved redistribution of wealth in a way that doesn't force people to spend their time competing to make the most viral facebook post"

anyway someone already had your idea six years ago; it's called flattr (which surprisingly few people ostensibly interested in these things seem to know about. it's like people forgot how to do research)

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Wacompen
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2016, 07:00:43 PM »

I don't think the idea behind this are totally stupid, and I don't think having very low donations is even that difficult. I agree that if every transaction made was 10c the tax the transaction fees would make it pretty ridiculous, but only if those transactions occurred across businesses. The simple answer could be to use credit.
Every user has a piggybank stored on the server, when they want to make a donation they add credit to their piggybank from a paypal/visa account with a reasonable minimum sum, lets say $10, they then have maybe $8 credit (10 - taxes and transaction fees or whatever) and the real money they transferred is moved to a bank account owned by the service.
The user can then go around depositing tiny amounts of their piggybank into as many of their friend's piggybanks as they like, since the transactions are between accounts operating under the same service, there's no real transaction cost. Then when someone receives credit into their piggybank, they can choose to either pass on the love and use their credit to tip other people, or if their credit passes a minimum withdrawal amount, (lets say 20 credit), they can then pull credit from their piggybank into a paypal or bank account with another set of transaction fees (and probably a cut from the service, to keep ads out of the affair).
In that system there are only two places where fees come into play, and you can set limits to avoid the fees overpowering the amounts.

This idea is neither bad or impossible, and if you or anyone ever made it I'd be pretty interested to try it, and looking at the success of kickstarter, indieGoGo and Patreon I don't think I'm alone.

@bukkusa your being unfair and unuseful.

This is the kind of constructive feedback I was hoping to receive  Beer! Beer! Beer! really intelligent possible solution. Thanks!  Smiley
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2016, 07:45:39 PM »

Not bad Oats! Intermediate currency for bulk transfer is very smart! It's better if there is a threshold before transfer and maybe time base transfer (like every end of the month) which can help reduce the fee evaporation.

Now we need to solve the infrastructure problem I kept under my coats for that moment to happen lol.

If you have a tip button that must be pervasive to all sites, you need easy zero programming deployment. That's where other people had failed before. You can also start thinking about how to implement a blockchain platform?

Wacompen
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2016, 08:18:27 PM »

You can also start thinking about how to implement a blockchain platform?

Thanks for this reference. I've never heard of a blockchain platform before and doing some research on the subject now. Interesting stuff  Gentleman
Wacompen
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2016, 11:12:13 AM »

An opinion about my motives for this post has been brought to my attention. Another user suggested that I began this topic because I'm hoping to be compensated for the work I post on social media. This actually isn't my motivation. I'm an indie game developer and hope to continue to create games and sell them online. I believe I could benefit from this idea because it could possibly circulate currency to some of the lower middle class. If that happened, the population has more income to put toward things like buying indie games online. In short, when money starts to circulate, everybody wins  Beer!
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2016, 01:36:59 PM »

just a quick more about block chain

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2016, 02:09:16 PM »

Portal fee,bank account owned by the service fee,fee shared between portals.

This system exists already. There's an example with AfreecaTV. People buy star gift package (a star is a currency there)and then gift em to their favorite broadcasters , which then can be exchanged into money. (fees going to Afreecatv ).
-system works fine for already popular people ( tv people)
-system works fine with naked girls (boobs)
-system works fine with violence (broadcasting people hitting each other or doing weird stuff)
-system works fine with a few talented people
People willing to pay are paying for shocking value and mostly in exchange of something.
(controversial parade in korean news)

i don't see how a similar system would go cross different portals. especially for art, photos, devlogs, texts.
The easier you make a system to share money, the easier it is for malicious people to abuse the system.

Shoq pointed out that it exists already and no one even talks about it.

when money starts to circulate, everybody wins
Only the top wins.

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2016, 06:46:26 PM »

https://twitter.com/Jaltoid/status/693507356710297600
Wacompen
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2016, 10:30:04 AM »

just a quick more about block chain

Thanks, this is interesting!
Wacompen
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2016, 10:38:17 AM »

I'm sorry to everyone who thought I wasn't acknowledging their feedback on this topic. If it's an impossible idea the so be it. I guess I just really like what I've seen in the way of crowd funding and in my mind this could be the next step in the right direction. Or could just be a fantasy Facepalm Wizard Who, Me?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic