Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:12:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsAttending the Global Game Jam 2016 without a computer?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Attending the Global Game Jam 2016 without a computer?  (Read 911 times)
Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: January 17, 2016, 03:06:48 AM »

I'm thinking of attending the Global Game Jam 2016 (29-21 Jan), but for various reasons I'm not very keen on dragging along a computer.

Quote from: FAQ
Is GGJ an online jam?

No, you need to sign up at one of the many, many local sites around the world in over 75 countries and participate on-site together with all other registered participants. There you will form teams and create a game over the weekend.

Has anyone here attended GGJ without an own computer? Is it usually easy to just "pair up" with someone else?  Will I be hunted down by a rabid mob of raging puritans if I attempt to make a board- or cardgame at the Jam?

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 08:46:25 AM »

I've done the Global Game Jam twice in two different locations. In my experience, the part in the rules about "coming without a team so everyone can team up at the event and meet new people" is a myth. The first year I went, I brought a partner and we had the intention of joining up with another team there. Turns out almost everyone forms into groups beforehand, or if they don't have a group when they arrive, they'll flock together before the official theme announcement (sometime the local venue will "leak" the theme early) and come up with a game idea before anything has actually begun.

I'm not trying to bash on the Global Game Jam--I had a great time. I'm just not sure how easily you'll be able to pair up with someone else at the event. The second year I did it, I came with a fully pre-formed team, having learned from the year before. Even then, sharing 1 computer between two people doesn't seem like a fantastic arrangement. How were you envisioning that would work?

At my first Global Game Jam there was a group that made a card game. I didn't have a chance to play it but it seemed really cool and no one was shaming that group or anything. I doubt that would be different anywhere else, but I'm sure it depends on the location and the local dev culture.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic