Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 07:03:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Using Actionscript 3.0 for games.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Using Actionscript 3.0 for games.  (Read 3078 times)
ocarson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 15, 2007, 12:14:50 PM »

Hello everyone, I've recently left Uni, and I'm currently embarking on a game project for my portfolio using Actionscript 3.0, after wrestling with Actionscript 2.0, 3.0 seems like a more honed beast.

I've currently got a tile engine up and running incorporated with APE http://www.cove.org/ape/, a flash 2D physics engine, it's a lot faster than any of my AS 2.0 stuff.

Has anyone else had much experience with AS 3.0? What are the biggest strengths and weaknesses of AS 3.0 for game programming?
Robotacon
Pixelhead
Level 3

Story mode

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 01:00:28 PM »

We should ask you that!  Kiss
You say it's faster, what else do you like about AS 3.0?
raigan
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 04:37:13 PM »

If you're going to do any AS programming, definitely 3 is the way to go -- it's equivalent to C# or Java. FlashDevelop is a great free IDE.. definitely with AS3 and Adobe Apollo you should be able to make games.

Now if only they'd make a hardware accelerated flashplayer..
Pigbuster
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 05:19:31 PM »

I'm trying to learn it, but ugh, it's difficult.
And I know I have to figure it out, too, as it's supposed to be much faster. And I think that once I get the hang of packages, I'll learn to love them.
ocarson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 10:10:25 PM »

What really bothers me is that you can't use joypads or the like, my only other major complaint was recently taken care of in the latest flash payer beta, namely, you can now set full screen mode to render only a certain part of the stage, say a 640 by 480 block, which mean faster full screen games.
Oaf
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 10:55:23 AM »

I've recently been doing a lot of AS2 and AS3, having spent years doing Java and C#.

AS3 is more like a proper programming language - everything you need to do you can do in pure code, without having to mess with the timeline and stage etc.

I'm going to use AS3 for our PC and online stuff from now on - the performance is certainly a lot better than AS2. So after 12 years or so, bye bye to Java...!

APE's great! Well done! I'm hoping to use it for 2D version of a game we entered for the XNA competition, called Dog Food. There's a very early demo of it on the Cheeky site -- that's if you've got all the XNA doobries installed Wink

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic