Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 09:35:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Please critique my game's aesthetic
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Please critique my game's aesthetic  (Read 956 times)
ryan_jacob
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 17, 2016, 01:56:10 PM »

Here is a very short 9-second clip in-gameplay that hopefully clearly shows the main aesthetic I'm going for. It's a first-person adventure, but in the clip the camera stays still.

I'm hoping for very honest feedback about it. I've only recently begun development and would like to know now if I'm going down a bad path. Does it seem polished or does it scream 'amateur' (and why)?

I'm at the point where I've been staring at it for too long, and my own opinion of it seems to waver depending on my mood. I feel like there are problems with it but can't articulate them.

austinbreed
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 02:28:10 PM »

This is really neat! My only two points of feedback are that you might consider doing something to demonstrate depth, like maybe that shade of gray-ish purple is slightly darker the closer it gets to the camera and things further away are a little lighter, and if your color palette is going to be limited to those two colors (the purpleish gray and red) I would tweak them slightly to make it more intentional–like maybe by adding a tiny bit of red to the gray so they have unity.

Looking good!

EDIT: Also, fix the kerning on that sign.

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 02:38:35 PM »

I think it looks really good. Please show more. Different or inverse colors in particular scenes would make a big impression, i guess. Smiley
ryan_jacob
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 03:50:09 AM »

This is really neat! My only two points of feedback are that you might consider doing something to demonstrate depth, like maybe that shade of gray-ish purple is slightly darker the closer it gets to the camera and things further away are a little lighter, and if your color palette is going to be limited to those two colors (the purpleish gray and red) I would tweak them slightly to make it more intentional–like maybe by adding a tiny bit of red to the gray so they have unity.

Looking good!

EDIT: Also, fix the kerning on that sign.

Thank you for the detailed feedback, it's very much appreciated!

I completely agree with you about making depth more apparent and look forward to trying out your suggestion. Depth has been one of the challenges so far with this limited color palette. I will also look into adding in some more red to the palette, that's a good idea. Lastly thanks for pointing out the kerning, it completely slipped my notice.

I think it looks really good. Please show more. Different or inverse colors in particular scenes would make a big impression, i guess. Smiley

Thank you very much! I will definitely show more when there's more to show Smiley So far all of my development time has been on the shaders and the construction of this one scene.

I agree with you about throwing in new colors to emphasize different objects or aspects of a scene. I will likely do this when I spot a good opportunity!

Thanks again to both of you, I will have new screenshots or video as soon as I can!

Senior-X
Level 0

am not a pervert

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 10:32:18 AM »

looks great! well done!
if you want critique, you may need to give more than one shot, I would like to see how the character move and other scenes!
but in the video, the graphics and the style looks great! Hand Thumbs Up Left

vaaasm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 02:42:29 PM »

omg yes, great style. looks super gritty and unsettling yet visually pleasing at the same time. it also looks really old time and I love how simple the character, makes it all the more mysterious. great work!

ryan_jacob
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 07:22:15 PM »

looks great! well done!
if you want critique, you may need to give more than one shot, I would like to see how the character move and other scenes!
but in the video, the graphics and the style looks great! Hand Thumbs Up Left

Thanks a lot! I agree, there's still much to share in the future. The rest that I'm working on is still at the point where I'm already certain it needs more work, so receiving critique on it would just be redundant at this point haha!

omg yes, great style. looks super gritty and unsettling yet visually pleasing at the same time. it also looks really old time and I love how simple the character, makes it all the more mysterious. great work!

Sounds like you have similar taste to me! Thank you!

monsterfinger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 02:03:33 AM »

I think it looks really good, the guy in the window looks a little odd though.
ryan_jacob
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 08:40:19 PM »

Thanks! Could you elaborate a bit on what looks odd about him?

monsterfinger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 02:37:11 AM »

Thanks! Could you elaborate a bit on what looks odd about him?

The main thing that strikes me about the person in the window is that he has an abnormally large head and its perfectly round.

this is what I found online regards to how it may look.

This of course is all up to you, if that is the style you are going for, from the rest of the image it made me think you are looking for a realistic look.
ryan_jacob
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 01:14:36 PM »

I see, thanks for taking the time to explain! I'm still figuring out his look, so we'll see what happens.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic